The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default managing a Peke's coat

I need help re Maxie Man's lovely, thick, flowing KNOTTED coat. He is a real boy (neutered, of course :-) ) who plays outside with the rest of the gang. No matter how much I brush/comb him, his undercoat gets horrible mats and knots. Shampoo/conditioner seems to help some, but it is so frustrating.
    DH really loves the way Maxie looks (I do too) but I'll do about anything short of shaving him. I worry about him overheating, too, although he spends a lot of time inside in the airco.
    Products? Advice? Grooming tips? Combs/brushes that would do the trick?
    Thanks!

Thumbs up

My Papillon that has introduced me to the world of dog grooming. He gets knots/mats behind his ears, thighs, tail, belly, armpits. Breeder swears the best prevention is weekly baths. My back swears that is a lie .

I have a 3 step grooming process every couple days: detangler/conditioning spray everything, pin brush everything, then comb tangle-y parts. Once a week after brushing I spritz Showsheen. Not good for coat but definitely reduces tangles. Every 2-3 weeks depending on how much goat/horse/cow/goose poop he has tromped through, I wash him. Soap-free shampoo then crème conditioner. I look for heavy, conditioning products to weigh down the coat. I want it thin and flat = easier to maintain.

My boy pees all over belly and sides which creates stickiness, knots, and stink. I have progressed from scissoring to shaving. Just this Monday, I shaved groin down each inner thigh and half his belly to the skin. A big part of my reasoning was to keep him cool. You cannot tell he is shaved .

Doesn’t sound like he’s a showdog. I would Showsheen the shizzle out of him! The silicone coats each hair making it more tangle resistant. I can run my hands through my guy’s coat after romping in the woods if he has been Showsheened . But it is drying. Doesn’t sound like breakage is a concern for you. I read a lot online. Watched grooming videos, stalked doggie forums, read product reviews. I love this site: tons of grooming vids!

I have a lovely Peke lady, Ting-a-Ling. Empress Ling gets her coat shaved every three to four months. Otherwise she's a knotted, dirty mess even with combing, brushing and bathing.

I do have her tail left fluffy and she's adorable when clipped.

Thanks, Ya'll!
    Sounds like our dogs are peas (or pees ) in a pod.
    DH says women would kill for hair like Maxie's and it is so true!
    I will try all the suggestions. I do want to shave his underparts.
    He's a jealous little snit, too. drapes himself across my chest and neck so the other dogs don't get too close.

He is the first (and not the last-see OT day post about me getting dog #10 from the pound) foo-foo dog I/we've owned and we love him.

I just love Pekes! My little lady was a puppy mill survivor and I got her when she was five years old. She's come from being completely dead-eyed and just "existing" to playing, guarding the house and being a complete love.

One of our COTH regulars, Mapleshade, has a Peke that is an active farm dog and trail dog.

I use Cowboy Magic to get the tangles out of my long haired GSD. Not exactly the same sort of coat as a Peke, but it works pretty well.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I would shave the tangle and dirty spots - belly, in front of sheath, inside hind legs, behind elbows, behind ears. You wont really see little patches there. If you want to try it out in some areas, use scissors the first time.
    Next time you bathe: Ideally, brush out first - many tangles get worse when wet. Use conditioner and dont wash it all out. Leave a light coating which will help avoid tangles. Then use a comb and comb out every last tangle. Use Showsheen, Pro-groom etc as you go.
    You should be able to bathe less often this way. Any time you see a tangle, comb it out. You may find more places that you need to scissor. Continue regular brushing, obvious tangles or not. Make sure you get all the way through the undercoat - many people are just smoothing the top!
    Eventually you will find a method that is not too much work - or you will get him shaved!