The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The end product

So how do you deal with dog poop?

I have two smaller dogs that have a fenced back yard. Most of the time they relieve themselves there (although the male does have a tendency to produce a pile on walks in the middle of town! I think he likes the idea of watching me have to clean it up) I pooper-scoop the yard regularly. When the ground isnt frozen I usually dig a hole in the corner and bury the accumulated mess (It seems that two small dogs produce more poo than one large - who knew?) Sometimes I bag and throw in the trash, but I hate to do that with something so, um, organic. (Our trash does go to the trash-to-energy plant. That must smell lovely)

What does anybody else on a smaller lot do?

Whether I had one or two (mini schnauzers) I shoveled and put in a 13 gallon kitchen bag, and then placed it in a storage box (plastic one that is really for file folders), and then put it in the garbage once a week right before collection. The smell was minimal in the garage, and at the house before I kept the plastic container on the stones, next to the foundation, and under the house overhang. I always used the little handles to keep the top on, and a small garden shovel (a square head one with a shorter handle worked for me, or the plastic kiddie shovel from the play sets available this time of year for the beach). For out of yard piles you can get poop bags with hard paper sleeves so you don't have to do the inverted bag over hand thing that is so yucky. Scented bags are worth it too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I compost it and don't spread the compost.

I have an area for compost to use, and a separate one for compost that is allowed to simply disappear into the soil.

Dog feces take longer to compost.

Year 1, I make a pile and alternate it with green (hot) horse manure. In the spring of year 2, I add only green vegtable matter to the top for about 2 months. This keeps the odor down. Then I leave it alone for that year.

Year 2 I start a second pile of dog feces and do the alternate horse/dog stuff. By the spring of year 3, most of the composted dog feces are gone.

Don't they sell septic systems for dog poop? You put it in the ground, lift the lip and add the waste materials, and then add the stuff to neutralize it into the ground. They aren't terribly expensive and I keep meaning to get one for my two Shelties. Does anybody have any experience with them?
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I have three large dogs and 3 small dogs. I pick it up and place it in a bucket that is stored behind the shed. Every couple of days I empty the bucket into my manure pile.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

they DO sell biodegradable dog poop bags- I carry those around for those times when you need to pick up. In the yard I taught the dogs to go back into a wooded area off the lawn so I just leave it there to be naturally composted.

Default Simple...

I use a spade point shovel and a stick. Shove the spade into the ground next to the poop. Lever up the sod and hold open with the spade. Use the stick to push the poop into the pocket. Let the sod fall back covering the "product" Easy and quick. Throw the stick far away or keep it for reuse... remember which is the business end... :lol

Paper bag and off to the landfill with the rest of the refuse. I have a tiny 60x100 foot back yard.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Mine gets pooper scooped and thrown over the back fence into the woods lol.

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    Don't they sell septic systems for dog poop? You put it in the ground, lift the lip and add the waste materials, and then add the stuff to neutralize it into the ground. They aren't terribly expensive and I keep meaning to get one for my two Shelties. Does anybody have any experience with them?
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone has one of those too. I saw one in Fetch Dog's catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Mine gets pooper scooped and thrown over the back fence into the woods lol.
    YES!!! "Chuck-a-poo Forest". We used to have one by us, too - worked great, since we have two small dogs.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone has one of those too. I saw one in Fetch Dog's catalog.
    Or you could make your own.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5817568_way-...dog-waste.html

If you do an internet search, there are several other ideas that might work for you also