The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Must-haves for home first aid kit

I realized I really need to assemble one of these today after my dad and stepmother had a near-miss with their dog. He went through a plate glass window after a roofing crew (just to bark at them, he's really a big coward) and nicked an artery in a foreleg. Thankfully my stepmother was home and she got him to the vet in time - he had surgery to repair the artery and a transfusion - he'll be fine. But it was close, especially since she was alone - all she could do was bandage the leg tightly with a couple of pair of socks and hope that would hold him until she made it to the clinic.

So vets, breeders, vet techs - advice is welcomed! What items should pet owners absolutely have on hand in case of emergency?

Here is what I have for my doggies:
    Hydrogen Peroxide to help induce dog vomitting
    Extra collar or leashes
    portable Dog kennel
    antibiotic ointment
    metacam or another pain med
    extra towels
    elizabethan collar
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Default Adding to the list

nonstick pads
    gauze
    vetwrap
    antihistamine
    thermometer
    sedative

Thermometer
    metronidazole (aka Pills of Gold-for diarrhea-hoard them)
    vetwrap
    tape
    gauze
    Benadryl
    a/b ointment
    non-steroidal eye ointment
    a/b's-Amoxi, Clavamox, penicillin
    heavy duty plastic bags or dog bootie for cut pads
    H2O2
    mineral oil
    alcohol-not the drinking kind
    cortisone-a/b spray- for hotspots-not the best, but makes me feel better
    bandage scissors
    forceps

Am NEVER without metronidazole! Thanks all who've responded so far -

As for the "drinking kind" of alcohol - I think it might not be a bad idea to keep some of that on hand as well!

Talking METRONIDAZOLE-LUV

Geez, dontcha loooove that stuff???? One pill is all it takes (usually)...hoard, hoard, hoard!!!

Mara- Dammit to heck....thats why I call it metro or pills-of-gold---I've embeeerased myself w/every new vet tech at my vet's office w/my mispronunciation... guess I should have more sympathy for the "NUC-ULAR" folks. But I dont.

Here's a pretty extensive suggested first aid kit list:

http://www.phouka.com/dogs/dog_aid.html

The anaphylaxis kit is a VERY good idea. Anyone know offhand if those require a prescription?

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    The anaphylaxis kit is a VERY good idea. Anyone know offhand if those require a prescription?
    I've always kept Benadryl for that-I've been swarmed by ground bees about 6 times, all w/a pack of 6-14 dogs...I HATES bees!! I go by 1mg/lb, and they come in 25 and 50 mg. capsules.

Did you know that swarming bees go for black above all other colors? YUP>>>its not a scientific test result, just my observation after being swarmed AT LEAST 6 TIMES...The dogs who got hit worst were blk. Labs, followed by blk/tan GSD and tri corgi---yellow Labs and Goldens, tan dogs, got almost no stings. As for moi, I usually wear running tights, black, of course, for work, and my legs got mauled--just my legs, almost exclusively.

I HATES BEES. Beware the woods in early fall. When its dry and hot. Keep dogs on a path, where they wont run over their hive and piss 'em off.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    I've always kept Benadryl for that-I've been swarmed by ground bees about 6 times, all w/a pack of 6-14 dogs...I HATES bees!! I go by 1mg/lb, and they come in 25 and 50 mg. capsules.

Did you know that swarming bees go for black above all other colors? YUP>>>its not a scientific test result, just my observation after being swarmed AT LEAST 6 TIMES...The dogs who got hit worst were blk. Labs, followed by blk/tan GSD and tri corgi---yellow Labs and Goldens, tan dogs, got almost no stings. As for moi, I usually wear running tights, black, of course, for work, and my legs got mauled--just my legs, almost exclusively.

I HATES BEES. Beware the woods in early fall. When its dry and hot. Keep dogs on a path, where they wont run over their hive and piss 'em off.
    I hate bees/wasps/anything with a stinger. I saw an episode of Animal Cops or some such in which a swarm of bees KILLED a litter of puppies. Since then, yeah, it's a fear (not a paranoia, just a fear, LOL), even though my 2 are grown and +50 lbs.
    If a dog/cat did have a reaction, would Benadryl work quickly enough, I wonder?

[QUOTE=Mara;5653432]I hate bees/wasps/anything with a stinger. I saw an episode of Animal Cops or some such in which a swarm of bees KILLED a litter of puppies. Since then, yeah, it's a fear (not a paranoia, just a fear, LOL), even though my 2 are grown and +50 lbs.
    If a dog/cat did have a reaction, would Benadryl work quickly enough, I wonder?[/QUOTE

If true anaphylaxis, I'm guessing probably not-don't you need epinephrine for that? But in my lengthy experience (did I say I HATES BEES??) a few dogs at different swarmings developed swellings at the sting site-rapid onset- so I gave them 2 mg/lb approx., erring on the lower weight. Don't know if it would have done much to keep them alive if they went into ana. shock, but it seems to keep swelling to a minimum.

I got my Dr. to give me a prescription for an epi pen for me-- my reactions to stings are getting stronger, though supposedly I am in no danger of anaphylaxis. It makes me feel better.

Yrs. ago I was pet-sitting a std. poodle-came in to find her head swelled grotesquely, w/her collar now choking her. A rush to vet revealed probable spider bite, and Vet reccommended that I keep Benadryl on hand for just this type of thing.

Also talked to a guy who hunted wild pigs in Guyana (a story in itself), and he said they carry Benadryl for poisonous snakebite, giving up to 5x normal amt., since they are so far from any possible antivenom. He said that the sedative effect may at least slow the absorbtion of the venom, plus its better than doing nothing.

On a lighter note, there's nothing quite like being swarmed-my 1st indication is usually seeing a dog start whipping its head around and jumping around. Then another dog. Then I start a-runnin. Last time was right after knee surgery, so a hobble was the best I could manage...8 stings for me

HATES EM.