The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Demanding Cat

We adopted our cat when he was 8yo. He's now 14 yo. From Day 1 he's been noisy. As soon as he thinks we are awake he starts up (not fun at 5am on a weekend when we want to sleep until 6am). He meows if he can see the bottom of his food bowl. He meows if the water bowl isn't completely full. He screams if I don't give him attention when he wants it. If he's awake, he's talking and it's usually loud and directed at a human (sometimes the dog). It's driving us insane - like nails on a chalkboard.

He's also a very needy cat, wanting to be held whenever I sit down. And, he's boss over the 60-lb dog, so it's not like he's a scaredy cat.

I've tried everything to get him to shut up, from spraying him with the water bottle, to yelling, to tapping him on the head when he yells, to turning around whenever he starts up (he likes to look you in the eye when he's talking to you), to giving him tuna fish when he's quiet, to petting him only when he's quiet. Personally, I think he has a screw loose. He gave himself kidney failure when we went away for a week even though we had someone check on him and he had more than enough food and water.

Any ideas to get some peace in our house?

Sounds exactly like my cat. She is very needy and smart. Once she figured out that people=food, she became very very demanding with the food train. It became earlier and earlier in the mornings that she would start and earlier and earlier in the evenings. I could not put food down to free feed her because she will eat it all at once. Once, while out of town she literally ate 3 cereal bowls full of food in a 24 hour period due to a miscommunication between helpful neighbors.

Our expensive but WORTH it solution was an automatic feeder. I'm not kidding. The demanding-ness has decreased considerably because we have NOTHING to do with food. Now she just gets needy for attention if she's ignored, but settles down much easier than before.

We bought this model http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4347886 thinking we spent too much on it at the time. Truthfully, it has been worth every penny of the $70 we bought it for. Its set for before we wake up in the morning, so now she just snuggles in the bed in the morning with a full tummy. It is set for the middle of the day for a snack so she is not demanding food when we come home. And then it is set for the same time we eat dinner. It is the BEST thing we ever did for our cat (and us).

I would like to add that she used to scream all day and night and follow us everywhere meowing. If we ever went in the kitchen or wherever we had her food stored (we had to rotate locations...) she would freak out. She would put her head in the crack between the bottom of the doors and the floor and screech in the mornings if you locked her out. It got to a point where we couldn't hold out for her to stop meowing before we'd feed her.

I now have a moderately vocal, happy, non-demanding cat that goes bananas for about an hour a day and loves to snuggle.

Hmmm....I don't know if that is our cat's issue because he has food out whenever he wants whenever we're home (I pick it up when I leave the house so the dog doesn't get it). That means he has food most of the day - I work from home - and all night. He does, however, like it when I stand there and watch him eat in the mornings.

Our oldest cat has always been a bit vocal but recently dialed it up a LOT. Crying about everything, and LOUD. Even for her. Found out her thyroid was in overdrive (she had just had bloodwork done 3 months earlier and was perfectly normal, but within those 3 months...)

We have her on quite a bit of thyroid medication and she's much better.

Unless you've already ruled it out, I'd get bloodwork drawn.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings