The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks for all the excellent ideas, everyone! I'm overly impressed with the food you bring to shows. I'm going shopping!!! And I forgot all about the little mayo packets. Great idea as well.

Can't wait to pack my cooler and realize I don't have to eat a hamburger! My husband will enjoy it as well (the word's greatest groom!).

Trixie is vegetarian, which makes horse show food packing quite fun and inexpensive. We take along fresh fruit salad (lots of strawberries, pineapple and raspberries!), roasted veggie rollups with oak leaf lettuce and provolone cheese, 7-layer mexican dip w/frito scoops, brie, crackers, jalapeno pimento cheese, brownies and cookies. All things I can make the night before and pack in the cooler. I surround the food with frozen bottles of water and use a very well insulated cooler.

A couple of years ago, a local Giant grocery carried block ice, which was a wonderful change from bags of cubes which melt so fast. Sadly, they don't carry that anymore.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Quote Originally Posted by Everythingbutwings View Post

A couple of years ago, a local Giant grocery carried block ice, which was a wonderful change from bags of cubes which melt so fast. Sadly, they don't carry that anymore.
    You can make your own! Fill a big tupperware or cooking pot with water and stick it in the freezer uncovered for a few days. I do this in the summer for my bunny rabbit. He likes to sit close to the big block of ice to stay cool.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    You can make your own! Fill a big tupperware or cooking pot with water and stick it in the freezer uncovered for a few days. I do this in the summer for my bunny rabbit. He likes to sit close to the big block of ice to stay cool.
    Oh, to have the room to do that! Both our freezers have this tendency to be stuffed full.

I have an assortment of coolers. If we are going to a show where there will be lots of our friends, I bring along two, one for beverages and the other for the food. Makes keeping the perishables cold much easier.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

That assumes that there's room in ETBW's freezer.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Everythingbutwings, great idea on separate cooler for drinks. I will do that, too. And I better go fill a bottle with water and stick it in the freezer RIGHT NOW or I will forget. You all rock!

You guys are making my PBJ & G-2 look pathetic.

ETBW- What exactly is your freezer full of? Do we need to send the police to look for bodies?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    ETBW- What exactly is your freezer full of? Do we need to send the police to look for bodies?
    At least one pork sirloin roast, 6 or more Wegman's Kosher Chickens, chuck roasts, sirloin steaks (for chili!), boneless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, pork chops, puff pastry, pie dough, cookie dough, phyllo dough, cheddar cheese, swiss cheese, mozzarella cheese, a gallon of Mr. Wings' mesquite smoked pork barbecue, white american cheese, ground beef, tuna steaks, backfin crabmeat, shrimp, frozen peaches (from co-worker's farm!), blueberries, pearl onions, chicken stock, 2 chateabriand cut tenderloin roasts, filet mignons, duck, a brined turkey breast, ice cream, frozen tomatoes, basil, chicken sausages, hot italian sausage, seafood sausages, ground lamb, ground pork, ground buffalo, multiple rib eye steaks, a highly expensive (Mr. Wings went to Balducci's in Old Town Alexandria) prime rib roast, boxes of chopped spinach, bags of broccoli florets, strawberries, daiquiri mix, lemonade, freezer packs, and a bunch of stuff I've forgotten.

At least one pork sirloin roast, 6 or more Wegman's Kosher Chickens, chuck roasts, sirloin steaks (for chili!), boneless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, pork chops, puff pastry, pie dough, cookie dough, phyllo dough, cheddar cheese, swiss cheese, mozzarella cheese, a gallon of Mr. Wings' mesquite smoked pork barbecue, white american cheese, ground beef, tuna steaks, backfin crabmeat, shrimp, frozen peaches (from co-worker's farm!), blueberries, pearl onions, chicken stock, 2 chateabriand cut tenderloin roasts, filet mignons, duck, a brined turkey breast, ice cream, frozen tomatoes, basil, chicken sausages, hot italian sausage, seafood sausages, ground lamb, ground pork, ground buffalo, multiple rib eye steaks, a highly expensive (Mr. Wings went to Balducci's in Old Town Alexandria) prime rib roast, boxes of chopped spinach, bags of broccoli florets, strawberries, daiquiri mix, lemonade, freezer packs, and a bunch of stuff I've forgotten.
    Can I move in with you?? You have the best stockpile ever.

I like pasta salads (non-mayo though!) - and you can buy tomato, basil, and hearty-grain pasta to make it last. Pesto, balsamic, sherry vinegar - so many options - chicken, tuna, beans, turkey, pepperoni - grilled veggies, sauteed veggies, feta, cheddar...you can pick your flavor & go with it.

A black bean & corn salad - Guy's on the foodnetwork.com is a good starter recipe - the pineapple is a nice little jolt of freshness on a particularly hot day.

Cucumber salad.

I need carbs on a hot day, just a few, so I like a nice turkey or chicken sandwich, or an extra heap of pasta salad

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default It ain't the mayo!

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howt...yospoilage.htm

There you go.

That said:
    I agree with those who bring finger foods high in protein and skimp on the sugar.

Easy to grab a hunk of cheese, baby carrot or piece of fruit to munch between classes.
    And you'll feel better for eating those than something sugary.

Any decent cooler with some icepacks will keep food cold all day.
    You can also freeze bottles of water or juice then use them to keep food cold - as they melt you have an ice-cold drink too
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Goodness ETBW, YUM!

A bag of Red Vines.

Did I admit that? Oops. In my defense, anything non-sugar seems to upset my very sensitive digestive tract when stressed, like at a horse show. I don't eat hamburgers either, anything fatty, fried, or fibrous is guaranteed to make me ill. So I just make sure I munch on pure, refined sugar all day.

I wonder if I have horse-show-onset celiac/lactose/protein intolerance or something. I do eat healthfully at home!

If I had ETBW's spread, though, I think I'd willingly be sick just to enjoy the deliciousness!

Wow! I want to move in!

I am coming to your shows. Wow, yummy.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I lasted one day at the last horse show, having a plain hamburger from the food stand.

After that I brought black forest ham and sharp cheddar sandwiches. NOM. Kept 'em cold with frozen nalgene bottles, which I then transferred into my drinking water bottle. Next day I brought pieces of pepperjack and mountain goat sausage.

High protein is your best bet.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I pack things for my DD on trips (not shows - yet!) that start frozen and thaw.

I know they sound kiddie but go-gurts (tube-shaped yogurt) can be frozen and by lunchtime are thawed out. Uncrustable pbj sandwiches, same thing. String cheese stays good in a cooler too. And a gatorade that's been frozen overnight.

Im about simple things that you can grab and not have to assemble, that contain a bit of protein to keep you satisfied for awhile.

ETBW is not a believer in suffering, particularly not in the sort of manner that involves whatever comes off the griddle at most horse shows (besides my egg and cheese sandwich, which I insist on). Our tailgate is generally quite lovely.

We also do things like tortellini pasta salad or quiche, salsa and chips, and a crudite tray with dip. Stuff that's easy and healthy to snack on.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I always bring a bag of cashews. They're a great protein source, and don't require any special packing.
    Nobody puts baby in a corner