The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: TOTAL spending in a year?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 5K

18 16.98%
  • 5 - 10K

33 31.13%
  • 10 - 20 K

27 25.47%
  • 20 - 50 K

19 17.92%
  • 50 - 100 K

6 5.66%
  • 100 K +

3 2.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Adding it all up.

Just went through bills for 2010. Honestly, I have been in the game a while now and one would think I would be used to the amounts spent. However, I am always a bit googly-eyed when I tally the final figure for a year.

Just curious where I fall on the spectrum of spending. Don't know if this will make me feel better or worse.

Include EVERYTHING - board, lessons, treats, vet, shows, tack, rider apparel, memberships, insurance, etc.. Not the cost of the horse though, if you bought a new one.

There's a poll with this for people to respond anonymously.

I voted in the 5 to 10k range....when I do show, it will be local club shows, so the cost is minimal; also, I do self-care at a private farm, which keeps my bills better.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I have spent about $20,000 last year on my new horse. (Not including cost of horse). I didn't show and I didn't have any major medical expenses. This year between showing and tack it will likely double. I try not to think about it, or tell any non-horse people. LOL
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

lol. I was going to do it as a percentage of take home pay but I was worried people's brains would explode when they calculated that. I know mine would!

My BOARD alone for my horses for 2010 was nearly $40,000. That didn't include shoes, vet care, training, showing, lessons, supplies, and impulse buys. ((faint))

That makes the mortgage on my farm now seem sooooo reasonable!

I put down $5K-$10K range. I think it is just above the $5K range on a regular basis, but now I realize that since I bred my mare last year, it is probably wll into the $10K-$15K range.

I said 5-10 but it could have very well been a little above 10. Im too scared to add it up.

Thank goodness I brought my horses home...so atleast im not paying board! But the vet just left for two lame horses...the bills just keep on comin!

Just did this as part of the R&D I had to do to figure out a half-lease amount for my semi-retired show hunter.

I voted $5-$10K, coming much closer to $10K. Nothing happened to him in 2010 and I didn't buy any equipment. I had sticker shock: Each trail ride costs *how much*?

My lessee, who (wisely) wants to lease before she buys, has sticker shock, too. I'm trying to be kind in listening to her ask about *why* it ends up costing this much when the half-lease price seems like a large chunk of board. I was surprised to find that board is only 2/3 of total costs per year. Yikes! I always just thought of "board" as what my horse cost. When he was showing, shod, given supplements and vet work for that, I don't even want to know what I was actually spending.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Well, considering I think I hit 5k in the past 2 months...

Will probably be 10-15 this year, I expect.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

I prefer to not know.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I think FenBar runs me about $500 a year. And yes, that includes vet care, etcetera. I know, I'm lucky.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I have two, kept in the same boarding pasture.

1: retired, barefoot, easy keeper
    $4,000/yr

2: lessons, bad feet, hard keeper
    $12,000/yr

GAH!
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

6090 i got after adding everythimg up from last year. This is a number that i keep under lock and key from my husband.
    Don't squat with yer spurs on

Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boy

Just totalling board + farrier + standard vet just about made me faint. And that's not counting "stuff" (supplements, fly spray, tack, barn stuff, lessons, etc).

And I don't even show. Holy moly.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

If I add up all the "one off" purchases like the new breeches that I wanted but don't really need, it would throw me into the next $ category, so I am just going to ignore those!

I don't have kids, so my way of justifying this hobby is by telling myself that as long as I don't spend more in a year than I would on tuition for a kid in private school, I am within a reasonable budget. I'm not so sure my husband agrees with that approach, but I pay my horse bills with my own money, so there isn't much he can do about it!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    If I add up all the "one off" purchases like the new breeches that I wanted but don't really need, it would throw me into the next $ category, so I am just going to ignore those!
    Sounds like a totally sensible idea
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

I checked the $20k-50k box, but I had a ton of out-of-the ordinary vet bills in 2010, so that more than doubled my usual horse spending for the year.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I LOVE all the rationalizing going on. You guys rock!

It's the 'little' stuff that gets me, too. When I started putting the miscellaneous bills together, I was simply aghasted. $20 here and $300 there (winter boots, it was freezing here!) adds up quickly.

I'm in the 5-10K category, and I thought I was keeping things pretty simple...no frills boarding, no trailer (yet), barefoot pony who never goes to shows..

like TarheelJD, I didn't add in the frills, like the extra pairs of gloves that I just bought simply because they were on sale...because if I didn't have horses, I'd have some hobby that I'd spend that money on. And I didn't count my two recent foxhunting trips, I mentally put those into my "vacation" budget

It does add up quickly, but I sure wouldn't want to give it up.

I put the 5-10k.

I keep the horse/donkeys at home, for 1800/year.
    I trim their feet.
    200 vet bill, spring shots/teeth (horse only, not counting donkeys)
    600 showing, 12 local shows/year.
    I am good on tack... for a lifetime. Same on clothes/boots/apparel.
    35 for yearly membership.
    3600 trailer payments (yikes - can't wait til that's paid off!)
    Don't count the truck as it is a daily driver/work vehicle as well.
    Hope to get back into semi regular lessons SOON, to the tune of 2300/year.

Total of about 8500/year. Thankfully DH doesn't come on CoTH!