The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

I hate to say it and hate even more to SEE it, but there are a LOT of very, very nice horses currently in the Yakima, WA feedlot whose time is running out. UPDATED APRIL 18: According to Columbia Basin Equine Rescue’s web site, the next slaughterhouse shipment from the lot is TODAY. Joan, Emily and Linda are at risk… http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Please, if you live out that way and are looking for a horse, (or would consider buying and shipping, if you live long-distance) take a look at these guys:

http://www.columbiabasinequinerescue...lothorses.html (lots of new horses are on the second page, too)

All types, all colors; some very well-trained ranch and riding horses, others green but flashy prospects ripe for a new job – and a few sweet old-timers who just need a retirement home to give them the TLC they deserve.

CBER is not a 501(c)(3) non-profit, so donations to them are not tax-deductible. However, if that is not an issue for you, you can help to save a horse by making a donation toward the purchase price plus one month of board ($150) to get the horse into foster care.

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED. If you have questions, you can contact any of the following CBER volunteers:

Samantha, 509.952.3866
    Megan, 509.282.3331
    Wendy, 509.308.0538

E-mail (due to time running out, best to call if you are interested in buying or donating to rescue): sissy2go2000@yahoo.com

Thank you.

I hate to say it and hate even more to SEE it, but there are a LOT of very, very nice horses currently in the Yakima, WA feedlot whose time is running out. UPDATED APRIL 18: According to Columbia Basin Equine Rescue’s web site, the next slaughterhouse shipment from the lot is TODAY. Joan, Emily and Linda are at risk… http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Please, if you live out that way and are looking for a horse, (or would consider buying and shipping, if you live long-distance) take a look at these guys:

http://www.columbiabasinequinerescue...lothorses.html (lots of new horses are on the second page, too)

All types, all colors; some very well-trained ranch and riding horses, others green but flashy prospects ripe for a new job – and a few sweet old-timers who just need a retirement home to give them the TLC they deserve.

CBER is not a 501(c)(3) non-profit, so donations to them are not tax-deductible. However, if that is not an issue for you, you can help to save a horse by making a donation toward the purchase price plus one month of board ($150) to get the horse into foster care.

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED. If you have questions, you can contact any of the following CBER volunteers:

Samantha, 509.952.3866
    Megan, 509.282.3331
    Wendy, 509.308.0538

E-mail (due to time running out, best to call if you are interested in buying or donating to rescue): sissy2go2000@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Also want to point out...if you like one of the horses off of the rescue page (as opposed to one still on the feedlot) any money they make on sales there go straight back into pulling someone else off the truck. Such as that rather flashing looking TB mare...

Wish I had room for another and more than $0.57 in the checking account...

Here's the link to their home page, from which you can access their rescue page, feedlot page, PMU page, etc

Stetson on the second page is very cute!!!

That poor Appy looks like it could really use some groceries.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

So sad. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/sigh.gif I wish I was wealthy. Maybe someday.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

i wish i could buy one, thats so sad. its awful to see the pictures, and then think where they may end up.
    Hyperion is the best

I've sent out your link and message to people I know. I wish I had room and was closer!! Good luck to you. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

Bump! I wish I was closer....I can't believe how many sweet older horses are in jeopardy. What a shame....hopefully someone a bit closer to WA will see this and be able to save a life. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif
    Chase's Mom; RIP Dezi 1/99-2/09

Maybe we can all work together and sponsor some of them to get them out of the feedlot without having to have them shipped all the way to the east.
    That appy mare SPEKELS is so adorable. Looks like she really needs a hug.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

You guys all have such big hearts. I love this place.

Msrobin, I think that's a great idea. Maybe we could start a COTH drive to help sponsor Spekels, to start? She is so thin and sad-looking, and she is one of the two cheapest horses at the lot (the other is a 2-year-old wild pony who is also beautiful). The total cost to buy Spekels plus sponsor her board for a month would be $400.

If anyone is interested in doing this, I can get in touch with CBER and let them know?

For those of you who haven't seen her yet - this is Spekels. She is an Appy mare, about 18 years old, and in desperate need of some groceries and care.

Well, being the owner of an Appy that needed groceries and TLC, I would definitely be willing to help sponsor Spekels! What do we need to do next to make that happen?

Just a note: you may get more views on this thread if you make the title a little more descriptive! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

(Thanks, One on One - you are right - I will change the title right away! Was posting quickly before the boss caught me http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif )

kb, basically what we'll need to do is collect the $400 and send it to Columbia Basin Equine Rescue. Both Schwung and myself can vouch for how great they are to work with. They are not a 501(c)(3) yet so they can't give receipts for tax deductions, just so everyone knows.

However, I am sure they will be happy to share pictures and updates on Spekels (if she is the decided-upon sponsor horse), and that is something we can all be proud of!

I can e-mail Megan at CBER and find out exactly what the protocol would be for a group effort, if everyone is in agreement?

17handtb - I will PT you with my contact info, but my spotted pony would like us to contribute $75! Spekels should be loved and cared for - surely we can make that happen.

Thank you, kb...you and your spotted pony are both lovely. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/sadsmile.gif And a "hear, hear" to the sentiment!

If everyone who is interested wants to PT me, I will let Megan know how many people are participating and how much $ we can pledge.

I sent her an e-mail a little while ago asking the best way to do a group sponsorship effort, so I will post here as soon as I hear back from her.

Count me in for $30.00!!! I loved that Spekel mare and I really want to get her and Vogue, but I can't do it right now. Let me know what do to either paypal or a check is fine with me!
    Pat Ness

Ok you guys I rarely post on COTH and didn't even see this thread, but you guys had already picked out the mare I was thinking of helping. Poor Spekel needs some love and groceries.

I have offered to foster a horse if someone wants to pitch in to buy it and pay for a month of quarantine. Anyone interested?

I would like to help, too. Please let me know if donations may be made by Paypal.

Man, COTH'ers are the BEST! 17handtb, keep me posted on this. I have no business getting any more beasties, but since everyone was so great helping me with Zardene, I feel I should pay it forward.
    Y'all ain't right!

What I wouldn't give to have Rockie, the black pony up here! Let him finish growing, get him broke, sell him, and then donate the money back to this group.

http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/sigh.gif

I don't even really have the extra cash to buy him and ship him up here.
    LESS HARD WORK, MORE FINE DINING!™
    complicate, obfuscate, prevaricate.