The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anhidrosis in the south:Moving horse north

Can anyone PLEASE give me more ideas on managing anhidrosis?? I am afraid I may have to give up my horse and find him a home in a cold climate. I have tried 1ac, salt, fans,hosing before and after riding,natural products when available. ANYTHING else?? My vet says the "cure" is to move the horse to a cooler climate. Of course, that means i lose my horse. He is a great gelding and I have had him for 4 years. Our temps are already in the mid 90's here in NC and it is only june. Please share any success stories for management OR has anyone ever had to move their horse and it fixed the problem??
    What type of salt is best? What beer and how much?? He is 1300lbs. and of course he is black.

I give my horse One-AC (supplement) starting in May, and also give her one Guinness Extra Stout per day for the duration of summer. She's in New Jersey.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

What is your horse's pasture/stabling arrangement? Is he in during the day? Fan in the stall? Mine stopped sweating last July (also live in NC), but the trigger was being turned out at 4/4:30 in the afternoon in a sunny pasture. As long as he was kept shaded he sweated some--not well but enough to keep from puffing. This year he's in a shady pasture and so far is fine. I started his One AC in late April.

Let-M-Sweat.... During the day in with fans and out at night if possible.

I tried everything too. None of it worked.
    17h Holsteiner stays in the barn during the day with a fan in front of him, and goes out at night. He has a commercial curtain fan over his stall door, which has done a really good job for years. Like this one; http://www.ivgstores.com/36inch-Air-Curtain-Fan.htm
    I get up early to ride him (REALLY EARLY) and have a bucket of water with Bigeloil, sweat scrape and a sponge close by. The fitter you can keep him the better he will manage.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Uckele makes a metabolism booster you might look into/ try...I dont know which one, though; My anhydrotic QH I sold to a pal in OH (I'm in AL) is on it now: his new owner is a Uckele fan and they suggested one of them to help him recover from metabolic stress. You could contact them for suggestions. They are also big on hair analysis, FWIW in a dire spot like this, why not?

My guy had a normal thyroid. He did not respond to One AC. He did 'ok' on Let Em Sweat from Equifab, beer sorta helped but not really. He just couldn't handle AL anymore.

Some horses quit sweating in response to antihistamines, any history of them in your horse? Tri Hist,Ani Hist, stuff like that.

Equibrit-
    how did you mount that fan?

Never any antihistamines- I just checked out the Let m Sweat product. The ingredients list has a fair amount of salt in it. Did you try sea salt added to his feedings? He is already on 1ac - i suppose i would have to stop that if i started the let m sweat product.

He is still out during the day because there is a huge pond he loves to swim in. And he will get in there when he is hot. He seems hotter in the stall even with a fan. ???

Try the beer. One beer a day. Stout is best. My mare drinks the cheapest I can find and does just great. Also make sure you use electrolytes. There is some evidence that non-sweaters have an electrolye imbalance.

I wet down my mares feed with warm water, let it soak, then add the beer. For some reason is soaks up well that way.

To start out you can give a beer in the morning and a beer at night. When I started this my mare started sweating normally in 3 days.

Thanks! will try that

Quote Originally Posted by giventofly View Post
    Equibrit-
    how did you mount that fan?
    It is screwed in to a wooden header over the door. It's like the ones that are over department store doors as you go in. He is in a U shaped shedrow style barn, so all the horses hang out at their stall doors. He can do that and still stay cool. The model I bought has fins that allow you to direct the air horizontally at a hot horse.
    There are added benefits to this method. The flies have trouble in the air stream and your horse's coat will not fade if he's in during the day.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Try Miekesherbs.com
    She is brilliant. My friend has a horse in FL and she helped a lot!

Powdered Gatorade works well - takes a week or 2 to help. Too much salt is not good - can help dehydrate them. In during the heat. Our mare was a non-sweater last year, but is back sweating. We are watching her carefully in case she has issues again. She is out all day, but with plenty of shade available.

Good luck - it is no fun.