The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beginner pony pricing -- UPDATE: bought her, pics in post 9!

How much is the going rate for a beginner-safe pony? Imagine a pony in its teens, medium, is well-broke on the flat and is totally safe -- trail rides, extensively shown at local/breed shows, and sounds as bombproof as they come. Kids can handle easily. Conformation is fine, pony is cute but more western/QH-type. Sound. Doesn't jump but neither does tiny rider.

What is a pony like that worth? Peace of mind is worth a lot to me and pony is SAFE, but I don't want to drastically over-offer.
    Last edited by fordtraktor; Jun. 7, 2011 at 08:59 AM.

It registered? POA or something???

I dunno, 2500 to 5k around this area I would think. More if it is real fancy and a high point winner on that local circuit.

Got a bit more info on it? Did you stick it to see how tall it is?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Very hard to find these ponies, so when you do, the price may seem high. But for the peace of mind its worth it!! I bought a pony that you describe, except he jumps nicely, is around 14 yrs old, does have one "hole" in that he can be VERY cold backed saddling so only safe for someone with experience to saddle, but once he is saddled he is absoltuely great (just the tightening of the girth, not the actual saddle). I had searched high and low for this pony and was willing to pay a lot more than I did! But got him for a bargain price in low 4 figures.

13.1 (has a card), registered Paint/Pinto. I don't think it is super-fancy but it has a decent show record. It has color and a cute face.

I'm relieved with the ranges you are tossing out, I was worried everyone would say that there are six million of these for $500 or something. Not worried about resale, by the time my kids are done with it, it will be time to retire it so I doubt it ever leaves the farm.

Ponies are the best confidence builders and if you can find a good one that a family will let go, they usually sell fast and by word of mouth pretty easy. I agree $2,500-$5,000 but I've seen $500 to a good home and $20,000 for a welsh cob with a great show record too.

One of my first horses was a pony QH cross. Good luck!

Pinto, it's a Pinto. They have some very nice breed shows with pony classes...split into Hunter type, Stock type and Saddle type (ASB). You can't beat Showmanship at Halter to teach a kid how to prepare and present a show horse-and they don't even have to ride it. Confidence builder extrordinare.

Think the price range guess would be pretty close with this Pinto Pony with show miles. Actually know people who have done Pintos.

Paint, simplistically speaking, has to have Paint or QH parents. Pinto can be anything within those 3 types but has to have visible spots viewed from both sides. A Paint may be double registered Pinto too if it has the color.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thanks findeight. It's both, double registered Paint and Pinto, but its show record is Pinto so I'm glad to hear those shows are legit.

Priceless.

Anytime anyone around me gets one of these, it's never for sale again.

It costs the same to feed/board a safe, solid pony as to feed an unknown-to-dangerous piece of crap.

Also, don't write it off as to future jumping. I've rarely met a western pony that did not take to jumping like a kite. No pony likes to start jumping with beginners aboard (off-balance or bumps in the mouth ruin the game) but if started with a well-seated pony jock and free-jumping, they can really take to it.
    Last edited by trabern; Jun. 2, 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: ETA western ponies often jump

Update -- bought the pony and brought it home! She is a total sweetheart and as dead quiet as advertised. She ignored a rowdy steer and two screaming stallions (she was in heat) during the test ride....never put a foot wrong. And cuter than I expected, though fat fat fat!

As always, pics! --

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23394...53911905cFXVcb

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27746...53911905RCgXMu

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/29322...53911905NvvOKX

She looks like a good moving doll! Lucky kids!

Aww she is super cute!!! You guys are gonna have fun with her!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by trabern View Post
    Priceless.

Anytime anyone around me gets one of these, it's never for sale again.

It costs the same to feed/board a safe, solid pony as to feed an unknown-to-dangerous piece of crap.
    : this. Glad you bought this one because this post IMO and IME is correct - they are rarely for sale. Mine will never be!

Enjoy your Nanny Pony.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

She's super cute but doesn't look fat to me!

^ Definitely this!! I have the buckskin model of this pony & we LUFF her so much! She may be loaned out or borrowed, but never sold. ;D

Smile

Adorable! What's her name?

Thanks everyone! Her name is Sunny, registered Last Sunshine. She was apparently "Pony of the Year -- Overo Color" with the Pinto association in 2009, and third at their World Championship show in Showmanship in 2006. She has definitely shown a lot, she walked off the trailer in the pitch dark totally bored, just looking for food. She loves food!

Ponymom, she looks OK fat-wise from the side but from the top -- she is as wide as a Mack Truck and there is no feeling her ribs. She is a bit cresty as well. I am worried she will founder, hence the muzzle. I don't have a totally dry lot like she has been on. At least her fat is evenly spread, not the deposits look the Cushings horses seem to get.

I am so pleased with her, and very much doubt she will ever be for sale again! She is big enough that I can ride her, so *I* sort of got a new pony too. 5'10 people look awesome on 13.1 ponies, right?

My 3 geldings are pretty pleased with her too, I must say...my jumper is herd boss and has already made clear that she is his new girlfriend.

Congratulations! What a find! She's absolutely adorable, and given how she looks and her experience, I'm surprised she wasn't over the price ranges mentioned.... Enjoy her!

Also, in those pics your barn looks lovely. We just built one, so I've been noticing barns in photos a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbridge View Post
    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

She's horrid - you need to let me do you a favor and take her off your hands!

j/k - sounds like EVERYONE lucked out! She has the sweetest expression.

She's adorable!

I'm AARP age, have 3 horses/1 TWH pony-pinto, and I want Sunny!!!!!!
    Congratulations! She is a doll.