The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HS Bemelmans Weymouth Bit

Thinking of buying. Not an econo bit by any means. Nothing cheaper even comes close to design. Intrigued by tongue relief and wideness port. Seems like too narrow tongue channel on many bits. Anyone have this?

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=836396873

Description: A curb bit that meets the higest requirements and results in a relaxed and contented horse. Through the optimum fit, it becomes possible to keep the horse truly on the bit.

The acceptance of the Bemelman's Weymouth results in a soft and even distribution of pressure accross the entire tongue. This is due to the exceptional form of the mouthpiece, which will all but neutralize the horse's impulse to put his or her tongue over the bit.

The form of the mouthpiece is adapted to the sensitive palatal arch and the thickness of the mouthpiece is tapered towards the center. This enables soft but effective instructions.

The port seems too wide to me. I would want to measure the space between the horse's bars to make sure it was less than or equal to the width of the port before considering that bit otherwise I would be worried that the port could come into contact with the top bars when it is rotated.

I am also thinking with angles of the bars an the height/width of the port will make it come into contact with the sides of the palate quite quickly. Maybe that is what you are wanting though?

I am curious as to what the bit looks like from other angles.

Mmm interesting observation. Maybe you are right. Nope not wanting bar or palate contact necessarily. Wanting tongue space. Have one horse with a wide tongue. I have a couple of the arched Mors' Whatchamacallit bits. Like a mullen but arched. Trying other options for optimal fit.

Curious about other angles too.

I believe cowgirl has one of these. I like the looks of it. Her horse loves it (very sensitive girl). I perceive my sensitive guy would like it as well.

More room for the tongue.

Yep, I have that bit. I paired it with the HS kk ultra dynamic bradoon (the branches are curved, rather than straight in the regular kk, so more tongue room). It is a fabulous combination for us and I have lovely acceptance of the bit.

My mare did not like any other ported weymouth that I tried, and I tried ALL of the Sprenger ones and all of the Neue Schule ones. A clinician I work with pointed out to me that my mare has fleshy lips and tongue and the edges/corners of the ports of most bits were digging into her soft tissue. I ended up starting her and keeping her in a Mors L'hotte for a while, but she'd occassionally open her mouth with it, probably from pressure in the center of the tongue. The ported bits taught her to draw up her tongue.

This bit has no edges, everything has been rounded and smoothed off. There is ample room for the tongue and the shape of the bit fits the fleshy tongue conformation and allows a uniform pressure throughout while allowing some room for the shape of the tongue (instead of smashing the middle like the mors l'hotte). The bradoon I chose also provides more room due to the curves of the branches. My horse goes fantastic with this bit. The mouthpiece is curved forward and the port is NOT as high as the photos depict.

I got it on trial from Dressage Extensions and immediately purchased it. The trial program through them is great and they gave me a couple of weeks to try it.

My mare is very sensitive, but can be strong, so her reaction to pressure points was to stay in the bits, but draw up her tongue. My gelding would have gone behind the bit with pressure points (his anatomy fit the forward ported weymouth, but I think he would have liked this bit as well and accepted a nice contact). I just love the bit because there are no edges and therefore no pressure points--the port provides room so there IS uniform pressure. Can't say enough good things about it.

That said, I know someone with a horse that is NOT so sensitive and very strong and this wasn't enough bit for her. She sent it back and got the Hubertus Schmidt bit with the narrow high port and fixed curb hooks (which is not legal for showing, btw). I have never ridden a horse that wasn't very sensitive in the mouth, so I can't imagine using that bit. I think the Bemelman's is a good choice for any horse that is fleshy in the mouth and sensitive to pressure points.

Cowgirl, the angle is what I was wondering about. It is too bad they don't show it better. It makes sense that if it ia angled forward then the port wouldn't be as effectively high.

Yes, it is completely arched forward so that when it lays in neutral position, it still provides ample tongue room and when it is engaged, the port is not so high that it interferes with the palate. Believe me, if there were any pressure points, this mare absolutely would let me know!!! It really is a rather low port.

I also tried several different machinations of the mors l'hotte, btw, with varying arches trying to get rid of that center tongue pressure and none of them provided the relief that this bit did.

I know this thread is older now, but I am thinking of trying this bit for my very sensitive mare who likes to put her tongue over the bit/through her head up/etc. Any other opinions? Definitely sounds like a worthwhile option!

Also, just want to check, is it legal for showing? (Mare has been doing national shows and CDIs for the past few years and I hope to do more of both in 2014!). Thanks!

I use this for my mare with a narrow mouth, low palette and fat tongue. She wouldn't get her tongue over the bit but she would bunch it up and push on the other curbs I used.

Like Cowgirl I use it with a Dynamic bridoon. The combination is great for her, she actually sounds like Cowgirl's horse (sensative but strong). The bits work together very well. I did the same thing with Dressage Extensions, that made it easy.

And both bits are legal for showing.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.