The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you use your washing machine for horse laundry

Voters
373. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

343 91.96%
  • No

12 3.22%
  • Other, explain

18 4.83%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I wash all my horse clothes in our front load washer. I have a Kenmore Elite HE3. I'm not sure how old it is, but I would buy another one in a heartbeat!! I can fit an 81 Rambo Heavyweight with neck cover in it. I make sure I always do the load on cold water so it doesn't destroy the waterproofing on the blankets.

Dee Thbd-I also wash my Back on Track items in the washer. Just be sure to use cold water and line dry only. Once I made the mistake of putting a BoT sock in the dryer and it kinda melted!

I have found that you can remove excess hair from coolers, etc by lightly running a shedding blade(just like you would do to shed out a horse) over the hairy spots to loosen up the hair so it can be removed before laundering.

I used to in my condo, the washing machine it came with was a front-loader and handled them well.

The current rental has a flimsy top loader. I tried a few times, choosing the delicate/no-spin option (because it wandered all over the laundry room the one time I tried spin!), but it still sucks.
    Now I wash it off with a hose at the barn right after a ride.

Nope. Just doesn't get them clean enough.

Took mine to a laundromat so I could take them to consignment. Ho-ly cow did they get gorgeously, like-new clean. Woah.

Certainly not convenient however.

Yup. And the hub is righteously pissed off at me for it. so the washer cleans the horsie stuff and I then clean the washer. Winter blankies go to a service.
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Yep, but I vacuum as much horse hair off as I can before hand and run a rinse cycle afterwords. The pads come out clean regardless but when my parents notice any horse hair in the washer, I'm in trouble! I've washed pads, as well as ear nets and polos, (in mesh bags though), and never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    How much of an effort do you guys make to clean the surface hair and dirt off? All my clothes are washed, and now I am left with a pile of saddle pads.
    I use a shop vac first, then the western pads get hosed down in the backyard. The english ones get scrubbed down in the laundry sink and then go into the washer, it's a Kenmore Elite Calypso.
    My horse is a "Hare-Brained Controvert".

Yes, I also wash bits in the dishwasher lol!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by TruthfulLies View Post
    First of all I use a annealed besom to booty off the affliction of the hair...
    Are Nigerian scammers now putting their saddlepads in washing machines?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Frank B, they're almost starting to make sense though...if you read it quickly. I reported it. That's 6 for this morning alone.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

First, I own a lot (pad hoarder!) of saddle pads.

Since I can use them in rotation, I do my best not let them become too dirty before washing them. If there is lots of hair, I just brush it off as much as I can.
    I'm lucky my mare isn't that furry, dark bay and I clip her for winter time. The gelding I also train is white and this is a PITA! White hair all over... I try to wash his things the last...

I do have an old washing machine at my parents, in their garage, that has been installed there just for my horse clothes! It's like more than 25yrs old but I swear this is the best machine ever!!!

Blankets, I do have a few as well that I put in rotation too. During summer and winter, I wash them as needed but at the end of winter, I have them all cleaned and repaired by a pro cleaner.

Wash everything at home, including turnouts, and give it a 2nd rinse with vinegar. I have an old Kenmore extra large capacity heavy duty top load washer. I can fit one medium weight turnout in there and they come out sparkling clean. I use regular laundry detergent for everything but the turnouts. For those I either use nikwax or the rambo wash stuff. Everything but the turnouts also goes into the dryer.

I do have a lot of pads and wash them after every use.

Yeah I used to just toss them in the wash sometimes alone, sometimes with towels.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Hey, I wash my clothes, my hubby's clothes, the doggie blankets/sweaters, and even goat birthing rags - why wouldn't I wash horse stuff too? I use murphy's oil soap, and hang to dry.
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    I do in my rented house, because they need to be washed and I'm too lazy to go to the laundromat. I always do a load of bleach afterward though.

I figure if it was my own washing machine I might be a little more hesitant to, but since I rent, who cares!

The top loader does a really poor job of washing them though, so I think I need to just start rinsing with the hose and hand washing.
    UGH!!
    That kind of attitude is why I decided against ever renting out property.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I send horse blankets (winter blankets) to the horse laundry. Easy, cheap, re-waterproofed, no cowpies in the house...(well, on the horse blankets. I get lots of cowpie on my own clothes, since I AI breed 450 cows a year...)

Wraps, saddle blankets, I put in my own washing machine. An old-style, extra capacity, lots-of-water-using agitator one. I vacuum the saddle pads, first, and that does a LOT for the level of dirt and hair.

I would NOT buy a high-efficiency washing machine. I just have too much laundry that involves cow manure. Those machines can get 'not really actually dirty' laundry, such as work-in-a-cubicle-wear, bath towels, and such, clean. But if you get actually DIRTy, you need a tub full of water and an agitator, or a real, commercial front-loading washing machine. The last time I went to shop for a washing machine, the honest sales rep fellow told me that in order to get my clothes clean, I would need an agitator or a commercial machine, and he told me how a private household can get a commercial machine. I ended up getting an old, completely rebuilt agitator machine off craigslist. Next time I need a washing machine, it will be the commercial one, although those old agitators stand up to a lot of use.

I do, by the way, have our own water well on the property, and am not in a highly populated area, so the use of water is more of an energy use issue than a water use/conservation issue.

Saddle pads, blankets, polos, dog blanket (although my be-huahua's blanket is smaller than a seat saver....)....it all goes in the wash here at home.

The look on my boyfriend's face when he saw me pull horse stuff out of the same load as my normal clothes was priceless.

The lint trap is full of hay and hair anyway just from my work clothes.
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

I've washed sheets, coolers, polo's, standing wraps, saddle pads, ect. in our washer. My dad kinda grumbles about it, but really it's no worse than washing the fleece blankets that are on the dog beds. The only time there was quite a bit of hair left over in the washer was in the spring and I washed my cooler that I had been using several times a week on a very very hairy shedding horse.

I used to with the old washer, but then my parents bought a fancy new front load and I'm expressly forbidden to use them for anything but my own clothes. So it's back to the laundromat for me.

I usually post an ad in Craigslist as a housesitter and wash them in theirs.

Absolutely, I figure if the washer is supposed to clean whats the problem?

After I just check for hair residue and wipe the hair out with a rag.