The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you use your washing machine for horse laundry

Voters
373. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

343 91.96%
  • No

12 3.22%
  • Other, explain

18 4.83%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Update: this washing machine is horrific for saddle pads. Somehow the pads came out dirtier than they went in!

I never put horse articles in the house washing machine. My horses were always clean before riding, meaning the saddle pads stayed relatively clean as well. It was easier to just soak the pads in a bucket after the ride, and hang to dry. Blankets are always washed with just water from a hose and one of those long handled gentle scrub brushes for cars.

Now that my big old top load washing machine has been replaced in the house by a new HE front loader, the old machine was moved into the barn for doing all the horse laundry, including blankets. I also use the old machine for really dirty or stinky clothing as a pre-wash before putting them in my house washer. Totally loving it. No more bucket washing!

I just got a brand new top load hybrid washer, and I won't be putting extremely dirty horse laundry in it for a long time. I did wash a pad in it last weekend after the pad had been hosed off and the majority of the dirt and hair was off. I put enough stuff with dog hair in the washer, so I don't feel bad about putting a little horse hair in.

The other at work, someone picked off a brown hair off of my sweater, and said "I didn't know you got another dog!" (We have a black lab, and a yellow lab and a bay horse :-) )
    I just smiled.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I don't wash blankets in mine (older top-loading agitator model) but I do wash pads and other smaller "horse gear." When it gives up the ghost, we'll get another just like it -- heavy duty, large load capacity, noisy as heck.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Update: this washing machine is horrific for saddle pads. Somehow the pads came out dirtier than they went in!
    Maybe you have the same machine I have...LOL, Not.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I do all my pads and other horsey small stuff in my washer at home (maytag, large capacity). I also wash my girths (western and english) and since the basket is stainless steel, I don't have to worry about chipping from the buckles. Large stuff like winter blankets I send out to the "Blanket Lady" who does a really nice job for a very reasonable price.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I sneak mine into the laundry mat- My washer is tiny and frail so I try not to stress it and I don't have to wash my pads but rarely as I use a dixie midnight pad under them that just gets hosed
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    I just don't wash them in the machine when hubby is around.
    Me too!

I have a top-load, agitator type. Since both my horses are smaller in size (one wears a 69, the other a 74), I just wash blankets and all in my washing machine. (as long as hubby is not around)
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

I definitely use my condo size stackable washer/dryer to wash saddle pads, sheets and fly scrims. That washer is the best thing about owning a condo....seriously.

I use super thin baby pads for every ride, and usually they are too sweaty to use twice. I use my home washer for them. They are not as big as most of the pads - everyone else's will stand up all alone, mine's too thin for that.
    I did see one person use the grooming vac to clean hair off of her pad (GENIUS!).
    I don't wash the horse blankets in the machine - use a service for this.
    I have a Trevira string girth and wash it in the machine also.

i do..but any excessive horse hair is removed before washing.

Hello! Washing machines are for DIRTY stuff!

Everything goes in my Whirlpool HE Duet - saddle pads, blanket, fly masks, girths, dog beds, comforters, people clothes, bath mats...

For the horse laundry it first goes on a soak cycle to loosen dried dirt, then a wash cycle with an extra rinse to make sure any soap is gone. All the horse stuff hangs to dry.
    I can fit up to a Medium Rambo Wug (84") in the Duet.
    After anything with hair, I wipe out the door and run a clear rinse before doing my "delicates".
    I'd love to have a dedicated, heavy duty machine in the barn but until then, everything goes in the one I have (7 years old).
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

I have a washer in my tack room that I use for all my horse stuff. It's an old commercial model, so it handles rugs just fine.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Sure do, also dog beds, and I have NEVER noticed dog hair or horse hair on freshly laundered or dried items. Tons of hair in the dryer lint trap, but none on my clothes. I have a cheapie top load washer and dryer set that have been used like heavy duty commercial machines since 1998. Glad to hear all the feedback on the allegedly high efficiency machines, I'll steer clear of them when I need to replace my current appliances.

We've got a Samsung front load and it works fabulous on saddle pads, boots, dog beds, etc. I do vacuum them first and now clean out the air filter after (discovered yesterday that there actually IS and air filter on a washer and it does get clogged and stop the water from draining!!)

Horse blankets go to my local tack store, which offers awesome same day cleaning for about $10/per blanket. And they come back completely hair free!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by jeano View Post
    Sure do, also dog beds, and I have NEVER noticed dog hair or horse hair on freshly laundered or dried items. Tons of hair in the dryer lint trap, but none on my clothes. I have a cheapie top load washer and dryer set that have been used like heavy duty commercial machines since 1998. Glad to hear all the feedback on the allegedly high efficiency machines, I'll steer clear of them when I need to replace my current appliances.
    Me too, have always washed horsey clothes in personal laundry appliances--in a separate load of course--and have never had any issues. Nor have my kids...since I wash their clothes in there too

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Yes of course! What good is a washing machine if you don't use it to wash dirty stuff?

And horse dirt isn't really dirt, IMO. My husband disagrees
    How is the horse dirt that is on the saddle pad any different than the horse dirt that is all over you and your clothes when you come in from the barn?

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    I wash the saddle pads, dog beds, blankets and throw rugs (usually covered in dog hair, a little pee and who knows what else) in my regular washing machine. Hubby does not mind.

I thought everyone did that?????
    I am with you (though I do not vacuum out the tub afterwards so I deleted that part).

If it fits into my older front load Kenmore machine it gets washed in my machine.

I try to not run a load of towels or other such things that hair likes to glue to after I am done with a load of horse stuff. Usually jeans or the like are done after horse laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by jeano View Post
    Glad to hear all the feedback on the allegedly high efficiency machines, I'll steer clear of them when I need to replace my current appliances.
    I have an LG high efficiency front load washer that does a great job. I really think it depends on brand/front load vs. top load, etc. I wash saddle pads, boots, fleece girths, half chaps and fly masks in it all the time. I never find hair on my other clothes. I don't even do an extra rinse or anything special. I love it!

I'm doing it right now!

Front load Duet is used for everything...even does a good job on my heavy weight Bakers.