The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you use your washing machine for horse laundry

Voters
373. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

343 91.96%
  • No

12 3.22%
  • Other, explain

18 4.83%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Yes I do!
    Hubby works on a dairy farm, so some horsie stuff wont affect clothes or smell at all.. Hahah

I don't know the exact model, but its a cheaper Whirlpool, top load.

I have a separate washer and dryer plumbed in in the basement for my horse and other animal stuff (I have a kitty that gets through a lot of towels.) The washer is a front-loading Maytag Neptune. Does a good job though is a bit slow compared to our upstairs, humans-only one.

My husband is inclined to get ecxema if I'm not careful about what I wash his clothes in, and an extra layer of horse or cat hair is a bad idea for him...

I wash saddle pads, wraps and polos in our machine, but I hang the saddle pads and wraps to dry; only polos go in the dryer.

I have a horse vacuum/bathing system that in theory I could use instead, but it is so much easier just to throw them in the wash.

If they are very hairy such as my sheepskin pads, I brush them off in the barn before washing.

I do make sure to wash jeans or jackets after the saddle pads, but haven't had any issues with hair transferring.

I voted other. The barn where I board has a washer and dryer which we are allowed to use. I wash all my stuff there. I keep a laundry bag in my trailer dressing room and do a load of stuff every week or so. As far as blankets, the Barn manager will wash the blankets and hang to dry for you, but they charge for the service. If I do my own, no charge.

After every ride, I hold my saddle pad up against the wall and brush the dirt and hair off. Then I bring it home and wash it in the same washing machine I use for my own clothes. I can also wash sheets and medium blankets and my sister-in-law just bought a new high capacity washer and she washed my winter blanket for me.

I first brush out then Laundry Mat then My house. I have a 'pet' setting on my washer just for the extra hair

I lint-roll them to get the worst off, then wash them in my old top-loader. Going to get a home appliance warranty again soon, so when I do, I might wash my blankets too. d;

I do a rinse cycle after washing pads... I also have to put a lint catcher thingy on the hose, or else it clogs the drain badly.

I wash saddle pads and winter blankets (after I hose and scrub them off at the barn) in my top load washer. Gets the pads very clean and the blankets clean enough to store. I just run an empty load with soap through after I'm done, and clean out the inside of the dryer with a wet rag if there are any hairs left.

I wash my saddle pads and stable blankets in the family washer but not turnouts.

I am on the lookout for an old washer for the barn
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

One of the young (and enterprising) riders at my barn washes all of our saddle pads for a nominal fee. Super convenient, and spares me from any husbandly grumbles and gripes about residual horsey dirt in our laundry room!
    Atlas: Jag älskar min häst!

"Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning."

Fivehorses, I have a Whirlpool Duet front loader -- I knock the mud off as best I can with my hand outside, but my horse stuff has plenty of hair on it when it goes in the wash. The only inconvenience is that I usually take some Windex or something and wipe out the seal/get the hair out after a run of horse laundry. Happy with the Duet for cleaning strength on my turnouts and saddle pads and horse boots and God knows what else I throw i there. I don't see why it would break it but if it doesn, I bought the extended warranty because I use my washing machine a LOT. I like stuff clean.

My turnouts do not go in the dryer, obviously but everything else does. It gets the hair off the saddle pads and into the lint thing!

I used to - but for $150 I found a used top loader and 'installed' it in the barn - by plugging it in in front of a window and shoving the drain hose out said window. LOL. Best $150 I ever spent!

Washing machines exist to wash dirty stuff! Saddle pads, polos, and fuzzy girths all go in there. I just make sure to run an extra rinse, and wipe out the inside of the machine if there is an unusual amount of hair left behind. As long as I don't overload it everything comes out squeaky clean. But I'm kind of scared to do my pony's t/o sheet in the washer... this thread reminds me I need to have it cleaned!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I try not to, but I come home to my boyfriend stuffing all kinds of nasty horse things into our wash. The one that freaked me out the most was a tail wrap that was dirty after the mare was bred... You can only imagine what it was dirty with

i do all the time, plus the dog blankets. we have an old front loader-fridgidaire i think, which handles horse blankets one at a time.
    we only use non scented detergent and a cup of white vinegar in every load. love the vinegar, it takes the place of fabric softener and is a disinfectant too.
    occasionally i have to run an empty cycle because of dog hair, rarely because of horse hair.
    i have a sheepskin pad i've been washing for almost ten years, it's only just starting to show wear.

Talking

Memorable quote" What's life with out a little horse hair in your undies."
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Yes. In my top load high efficiency machine. Works well for me. I also wash towels and bed covers and stuff with dog hair on them. What I typically do if I think about it is follow that load with the 'work towels and rags' that need washing hence capturing any remaining pet/horse hair. Or a load of jeans- horse hair comes off of them easily in the dryer.

fordtraktor,
    thanks for the info on your machine. A friend also has a duett, and another friend has a maytag front loader.

In my case, I don't think a top loader, or at least the kenmore top loader HE that I have is suitable for anything to do with horses.

It just doesn't get the horse blankets wet enough to clean, and face masks have to go thru twice.

I may look into a front loader, but heard so much maintenance issues, I thought I should stay away.

I think I need two washing machines! One for me, one for the horses! LOL.
    In my old agitator style, I didn't find that a lot of hair was left behind.

I regularly washed saddle pads in my old machine. A kenmore agitator series 80

The only time there was any residue from anything horsey is if there were a lot of shavings attached to whatever it was I was washing. the centaur wool blankets would leave lint,shavings and hair, which I would just sponge out of the machine after the load was done.

If a machine leaves hair, etc for a minimally hairy saddle pad or whatever, then its not imo a very effective cleaning machine.

I am looking for a machine that can wash horse blankets and my clothes.
    Anyone love or hate their machine, I would love to hear about it.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    Ok, folks that do wash horse blankets in your washing machines, could you also share the brand and type.

I have to return the washing machine I just bought because it isn't cleaning my face masks, and not even able to get my horse blankets wet enough to clean. Its a kenmore HE top loader,.

Cleaning horse blankets is a must for my washing machine.
    thanks for any input. sorry op to be off tangent a bit.
    I have a 7yo Kenmore top-loader that does a fine job on horse clothing - Winter blankets included.
    I got the heavy duty/extra capacity model, but still it's meant for household laundry not commercial use.

I use the same machine for my personal laundry & if the horse stuff is especially gross I'll do a load of barn towels with bleach afterwards to pick up any stray hair or gook left behind.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Yes. For whoever asked about hair & dirt, I use the $10 Dover pads next to the horse and have quite a few so they aren't that dirty when washed.

Blankets get done at the 'mat

I plan to scare up a used industrial machine when I move, for my and friends blankets.

I air dry pads and blankets

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed