The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you use your washing machine for horse laundry

Voters
373. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

343 91.96%
  • No

12 3.22%
  • Other, explain

18 4.83%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you wash saddle pads in your personal washing machine?

Just curious if the COTH members wash saddle pads or any other horse items in their own washing machine (that their clothes go in) or not.

Yes, but we have one of those big front load washers that will do 16 - 18 pairs of jeans at one time, and a matching dryer. I LOVE having this. I can do winter blankets, too.

the process for saddle pads is simple, just a tiny little bit of detergent which is a scent and color free type. Extra rinse, extra spin.

For larger winter blankets, shake off as much as possible, then run through on a cold water cycle with extra rinse, extra spin. Then do again, is cool water with stuff made to clean blankets and renew their waterproofing.

I do in my rented house, because they need to be washed and I'm too lazy to go to the laundromat. I always do a load of bleach afterward though.

I figure if it was my own washing machine I might be a little more hesitant to, but since I rent, who cares!

The top loader does a really poor job of washing them though, so I think I need to just start rinsing with the hose and hand washing.

I use to.
    Then I bought one of the new fangled top loader high efficiency model.

Even fly masks don't come clean, never mind horse blankets...don't even get wet. Fly masks I have to put thru 2 washes. Blankets, well, I did run them twice, but they still didn't get clean because they didn't even get wet...too many dry spots on them.

I hate my new washing machine.
    I am returning it and getting an old fashion agitator kind.

For years, I have washed my horse blankets, saddle pads, fly masks, etc with no issues in the agitator type.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Hate to admit it, but I do. When I think of some of the clothes that go into my laundry, the horse stuff seems clean. But I have a system: Horsey stuff, doggy stuff, husband's work clothers, husband's other clothes and my tough stuff --and finally my lights.

I take them to the car wash and hang them on the clips in the wash bay (the ones for floor mats) and then I use the high pressure hose with no shampoo and they get really clean.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    I figure if it was my own washing machine I might be a little more hesitant to, but since I rent, who cares!
    Off-topic but, where I live, washing machines and dryers are the tenant's responsibility. As a landlord, I only need to supply a fridge and stove.

On-topic, I wash mine in my machine with some vinegar.

Yes of course! What good is a washing machine if you don't use it to wash dirty stuff?

And horse dirt isn't really dirt, IMO. My husband disagrees but I just do the wash while he's at work. What he doesn't see doesn't hurt him. I don't lie about it but he doesn't ask, so all is happy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well..

My wonderful OH made me an outdoor laundry and we have a seperate washing machine just for the Animals stuff.

It is wonderful, I can dump all the dog blankets in with the horse's cottons and they come up lovely.

I just don't wash any of the canvas or synthetic heavy rugs due to fear of killing the machine, but fine for all the cottons.

Don't know where I would be without my little horsie laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    I do in my rented house, because they need to be washed and I'm too lazy to go to the laundromat. I always do a load of bleach afterward though.

The top loader does a really poor job of washing them though, so I think I need to just start rinsing with the hose and hand washing.
    Wow. Aren't you a lovely tenant. You consider your landlord's property not worth caring for. Lovely.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

saddle pads, fly masks, coolers if it fits it goes it

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Yes of course! What good is a washing machine if you don't use it to wash dirty stuff?

And horse dirt isn't really dirt, IMO. My husband disagrees but I just do the wash while he's at work. What he doesn't see doesn't hurt him. I don't lie about it but he doesn't ask, so all is happy.
    Yup! This is also my philosophy...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

No washers and dryers here, our power grid doesn't handle them well. I scrub mine with a scrub brush in the work 'sink' with a little generic dandruff shampoo and then hand rinse in a basin with plenty of water. If there is any residual soap, it can help keep the rainrot at bay.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Ok, folks that do wash horse blankets in your washing machines, could you also share the brand and type.

I have to return the washing machine I just bought because it isn't cleaning my face masks, and not even able to get my horse blankets wet enough to clean. Its a kenmore HE top loader,.

Cleaning horse blankets is a must for my washing machine.
    thanks for any input. sorry op to be off tangent a bit.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Uhm...I use the washing machines in my dorm

How much of an effort do you guys make to clean the surface hair and dirt off? All my clothes are washed, and now I am left with a pile of saddle pads.

If the saddle pads need a washing and a rinsing with a hose no longer does the trick, then I take them up town and use their high capacity washers. They seem a bit tougher than mine and I would rather not break mine.

I just don't wash them in the machine when hubby is around.

I do not. I live in an apartment building with five other units in it, and we all share a washer and dryer. (Actually not as bad as one may think. In seven months of living here, I've had one time where I had to wait to do laundry.) We all try to play nice with the laundry room. I don't want to wash horse laundry here because one - I'm not sure if anyone is allergic to animal hair, and two - other folks probably wouldn't appreciate the little white hairs getting left behind in the dryer. I instead do horse laundry at my mom's. She doesn't mind, and she has a sweet front loader that's big enough to wash blankets.

If I had my own washer and dryer I would do it at home.

No, because I live in a complex and share a laundry room.

I do them at this really gross old laundromat in the town near my old barn. Think machines that look like they are from the 70's, a bunch of cracked plastic chairs and tables with wobbly legs, tuna cans on the tables for ashtrays, broken arcade machine, place reeks of smoke. I have only ever once seen someone washing actual clothes in there, and I'm not sure how it stays open. I do wipe out the machine when I'm done, and if it's really bad I'll run an empty load to rinse it out.