The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Newbie to Eventing, is this Vest okay?

I have yet to even attend an eventing schooling show but my goal is to do just that in the next year (former hunter princess). While at Rolex my sister suggested I get the medical card/arm band so I would have one when I need it. Then I started thinking I really need a vest. I don't know exactly what requirements are at schooling shows/lower levels, but I figure regardless I should have one.

A person at my barn happens to have a brand new one that fits me. His daughter had to purchase it when they were cross country riding in Ireland a few years ago.

It is made by RaceSafe and fits me very well and is very comfortable. I see they now have an upgraded version, RaceSafe 2010, (this one is 2000.) So my question is will this be okay to use?

Here is the child's version, just the first one I found on the web.
    http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/R...rge-(629).aspx

Other question is how much to offer him? We are friends and so far I have not gotten a price out of him. I believe the new ones run about 140 pounds so about $230 US. But this one is used, though only a few times and the older version.

I do think it is enough protection for what I am going to be doing at the moment and fits well and is comfortable. So go for it?

My daughter has a Race Safe vest. Hers is BETA certified so they are good vests.

Yup, that one is perfectly fine & a lot safer than many we see now. As of this moment, vests are no required to be certified in the eventing world so this one is probably safer than the Tipperaries, etc.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

great thanks for the replies. I will figure out a fair amount to pay him as I know he probably won't ask for money. I am happy as ordering one online seems to be difficult to get the right size and this one really fits well.