The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Germany - What would be the best way to find a horse to lease?

I don't know much about the German horse world.

What would be the best way to find a horse for lease, or even a lesson barn where I could ride a couple times a week?

Do they have any websites sort of like dreamhorse.com or equine.com?

At first I thought you wanted to import a horse to lease... Which made no sense, but now I assume you are moving there? I guess the big question is whether or not you speak German...

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    At first I thought you wanted to import a horse to lease... Which made no sense, but now I assume you are moving there? I guess the big question is whether or not you speak German...
    Yeah, we're actually here already. I don't speak a lot of German, but I am working on it.

I've actually got a few friends from Germany, what city are you in? I can ask around.

We're going to be living in a village just north of Wittlich. Thanks!

It is very typical for people to lease horses for a couple of days a week. In many barns turnout is limited so the horses need to be worked most days. You can go to the local barns around you when you move and ask at those. The best would to be to find one that has a riding school and take a few lessons then ask around about leases.

You can search the internet for biete reitbeteiligung....those are the words for offering a lease. suche reitbeteiligung are the words for looking for a lease. You can find ads for people looking to lease horses, a lot of times it is for trailhorses. Better to go through a local barn though.

Oh forgot you are looking for riding schools...google reitschule wittlich or reitstall wittlich and you'll probably find some.

Quote Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
    It is very typical for people to lease horses for a couple of days a week. In many barns turnout is limited so the horses need to be worked most days. You can go to the local barns around you when you move and ask at those. The best would to be to find one that has a riding school and take a few lessons then ask around about leases.

You can search the internet for biete reitbeteiligung....those are the words for offering a lease. suche reitbeteiligung are the words for looking for a lease. You can find ads for people looking to lease horses, a lot of times it is for trailhorses. Better to go through a local barn though.

Oh forgot you are looking for riding schools...google reitschule wittlich or reitstall wittlich and you'll probably find some.
    Thank you

excellent advice!

http://www.pferd-aktuell.de/
    can help you find an FN barn or instructor (which is not interchangeble)
    Your web browser should be able to translate a page for you. If not let me know I try to decypher it for you.

Your best bet is probably to find a barn you are happy at first, then put out the word. The community is tight knit, so if there is not horse in that barn, they might know of somebody some place else.
    (plus farmers - I think - still have catch riders putting miles on their young stock, which might include showing. If they trust you )

(they have 2 listings
    Ponyhof Gut Blumenscheid
    Bergweiler Weg PLZ,
    Ort54516 Wittlich
    LandDeutschland
    Mobil0152-04993384
    Fax06571-954052

Reitanlage Wittlich
    Im Sportzentrum
    54516 Wittlich
    LandDeutschland
    Telefon06571 7704)

But there are a lot that have not bothered with FN certification

you would look for
    Reitanlage
    Reitstall
    Reitverein
    Reit- und Fahrverein
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

On the breeding forum, there are several from Germany that post regularly...Kareen, alexandra, and fannie mae that I can think of off the top of my head. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Thank you all!! I am going to ask my landlord if she knows of any nearby barns too.

Aurum is looking for a working student

http://gestuet-falkenhorst.com/

have no idea where she is in regards to where you are though...
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

If Google Chrome is not already your BFF, OP, I'd suggest rectifying that instantly. Instant translation is a beautiful thing. Doesn't mean you shouldn't learn the language, but it's a great first step.

I second the riding club advice. Also tackshops often have pinboards. Generally things are handled a bit differently here. Leasing isn't typically done but Reitbeteiligung means more or less a part-lease (e.g. if the owner is working and can't dedicate enough time to the horse they will find someone to split the costs and work with).
    Another thought would be to approach the local breeding clubs. If your riding is qualified you might find a breeder you can work with. The deal there is generally that you give them a hand with ideally flexible hours and in exchange you get to ride quality horses at little or no cost. If your riding is very qualified you might even find a breeder who will actually pay you a little for your time.
    In the latter case please make sure you have good insurance. Any damage the horse will do is on the owner but if anything happens to you you want to be covered from your end cause otherwise the owner's insurance may claim you rode the horse professionally