The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where can I find a teeny tiny helmet? Updated for reference.

I need to find a helmet for my daughter, and she has an itty bitty head. As in, about 16 inches in circumference. The smallest sizes I am able to find on the size charts at Dover, Smartpak, etc seem to be 18 inches.

Does anyone make a smaller helmet than 18 inches?

Edited to add: it doesn't need to be a show helmet. Any old approved helmet will do!
    Last edited by OneonOne; Oct. 18, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Default Aegis

Has a child's size with a knob on the back for adjustment. Fits our grandaughter just fine. She is a tiny 4 year old.

Second the recommendation to buy a size small with a dial-a-fit knob. We teach lots of 4 year old leadliners and the everyone of them can wear this type of helmet.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Do the dial-a-fit systems take the helmets down well below the advertised size of 18 inches? All the way down to 16 inches? Because my not-quite-2-year-old daughter's head is actually 16 inches in circumference. That's not an estimate on my part.

Other people have recommended I look for small bicycle helmets, which I guess go smaller than riding helmets. But I was under the impression that they were designed for different types of impacts, and shouldn't be interchanged. Is that correct? Although I guess any helmet would be better than no helmet.
    Last edited by OneonOne; Jun. 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: I meant circumference, not diameter! Sorry!

You're putting a two-year-old on a horse?
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by OneonOne View Post
    Do the dial-a-fit systems take the helmets down well below the advertised size of 18 inches? All the way down to 16 inches? Because my not-quite-2-year-old daughter's head is actually 16 inches in diameter. That's not an estimate on my part.

Other people have recommended I look for small bicycle helmets, which I guess go smaller than riding helmets. But I was under the impression that they were designed for different types of impacts, and shouldn't be interchanged. Is that correct? Although I guess any helmet would be better than no helmet.
    16" in diameter is HUGE.

16" in circumference is tiny. Like, newborn-sized tiny. Less than newborn-sized, actually - according to this page, the average head circumference for a female newborn is about 18" (46.35 cm). http://www.infantchart.com/infantheadage.php

My 22-month-old grandson wore a small International helmet at Christmas and it fit just fine, but it was nowhere near 16".

Was your daughter a premie?

ETA: I have heard the same thing about bike helmets. I believe it's because they don't provide the same coverage for the back of the head. But they might be talking about the pointy kind that just perch on the top of your head - don't they make bike helmets for wee tiny kids that are more like motorcycle helmets? My kids had those, back in the Dark Ages.
    Last edited by Risk-Averse Rider; Jun. 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added content
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Yes, I meant circumference. I'm sorry - I misspoke (I've edited it above). Yes, I know it's tiny. It's called microcephaly. And the reason I know for certain it's 16 inches, is because it's monitored on a regular basis by several doctors. She was not a premie, but she is small, and her head was just over 13 inches at birth.

analise, my daughter is going to be starting hippotherapy this summer as a part of her supervised therapy program. I'm not just going to plunk a 2-year old on top of a horse.

Wow. Sorry that you're going through this.

One of my nephews has a daughter who needed a head-reshaping helmet because the back of her head was semi-flattened. Do you think something like that would work for your daughter? It's padding, though, no rigid shell.

Maybe your pediatrician could recommend something? Aren't there helmets for young children with seizure disorders who are likely to fall & hit their heads?

Here's a page that talks about teeny tiny bike helmets, but even those don't seem small enough:

http://www.bhsi.org/tiny.htm

I have considered those helmets, but haven't done any research on them. I have heard (though this may be incorrect) that those can be pricey. I figured I'd like to start with a real riding helmet, as that is the type of impact they are designed to absorb. Same issue with the head-shaping helmets. They aren't designed for the safety aspect of riding, as far as I'm aware.

I just got word from our coordinator that she was accepted into the hippotherapy program, but have not actually spoken to the therapists yet. I'm assuming they'll have something she can wear when she gets started, but I'd like for her to have her own helmet eventually for use at home. I'm just trying to be a bit ahead of the game once the therapy starts.

There are helmets that I believe is designed more for skating that may come in smaller sizes and with more head coverage. I've seen the children at the camps wearing them. But am otherwise no help.

Thanks for all suggestions!

My neighbors little boy has microencephaly. He's making great progress and is now walking. I wish you all the best in dealing with it.

What about the helmets made for babies with seizures? Wouldn't they work for horseback?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

If you've got the time, I'd be interested in finding out what you end up doing for a helmet. And I expect it might be useful information for future reference.

Best of luck to you!

(Plus we will need to see photos of that little girl on horseback!)

I realize that my thread is very old, but I got a private message about it a few weeks ago from someone in a similar situation, so I figured I would post an update.

After a whole bunch of research, I learned that the industry standard minimum size for helmets (riding/biking/etc) is right around 18 inches. I guess it's a liability thing. The helmet manufacturers don't want you putting a helmet on a newborn and then putting them in a bicycle trailer, because a newborn's neck is so weak and a helmet isn't going to protect them in an accident. They don't want to deal with the liability and lawsuits from people putting children who are too young or too weak physically into unsafe situations, just because they can find a helmet for their tiny head. Therefore, minimum sized helmets that in theory will fit a kid starting around age 2. At least that's how I understand it.

So for those of us with toddlers with newborn sized heads, we're kind of screwed.

I talked to a guy at my local bike shop who also happened to be a kayaker. He said that in that sport there are companies that make custom kayaking helmets, but they are pricey.

In the end I ended up getting an Aegis helmet. It was still too big, even dialed all the way down, but fit ok with one of those fleece liners that Troxel makes. EXCEPT that it was too deep, and even with the liner it sat so low on her head that it covered her eyes unless it was tipped way back.

However, the hippotherapy place had an XS Ovation helmet that is shallower. It works really well, so I ended up getting one of those instead. It's the Ovation Deluxe Schooler in XS.

This one...
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...met/p/X1-3768/

Even with the fleece liner, it's still not as snug as I would like, and if she was an older child riding alone on the horse, it wouldn't be snug enough. If she shakes her head it will still move, but it won't just tip loosely on her head as it does without the liner. But in her therapy sessions she has a sidewalker on each side holding onto her belt, so I'm perfectly comfortable with it. When I get a few free minutes, I will probably make a slightly thicker liner to replace the Troxel liner, or I may just sew an extra layer into the Troxel liner.

So I never really solved the problem of finding a teeny tiny helmet. Instead I just found the right balance of helmet shape and liner to make a tiny helmet work.

And because it was requested...(I hope you can see that if you aren't my fb friend.)

This was from her first session this summer. (We ended up not being able to get into the program last year when I first posted this topic.)

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...89134587_o.jpg

lookin' good!! how does she like it?

She loves it! She cries when the horse leaves the stall and walks into the arena without her (they mount just outside the barn area before entering the arena). She vocalizes much more on the horse than the ground, and will sign for "go!" and "more" which she only does inconsistently on the ground. And then she cries when her ride is over. I'm very happy we were able to get her in the program!

Awww!!! What a happy girl! Loved the pic!!! Glad to hear that horses are helping your daughter!!!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma