The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Magenta Guest

Default Considerations for letting others board?

If an acquaintance or friend were paying me to board, even if it was self-service, I worry would the insurance costs, since they could consider it for business purposes. I am curious about trading so that money doesn't exchange hands, would you agree that helps? More like helping a friend and they help me with something. I would have reason to believe they are trustworthy.

I'm wondering what else I need to consider, especially anything bigger that is not just needing a legal clause for protection. They would see the location first and I would meet their horse(s) before agreeing. I would want some rules about giving me notice before they show up, or certain timeframes they were allowed to show up.

Of course I would cover myself legally too. I would want them to sign a written contract that I'm not responsible for medical care, that they have to bring their own supplies OR pay in advance for all expenses (depending on the type of agreement), they have to pay for damage, and that I have certain permissions in case of emergencies. Get them to provide medical records, multiple emergency contact numbers. I have liability insurance but hope that would never be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    If an acquaintance or friend were paying me to board, even if it was self-service, I worry would the insurance costs, since they could consider it for business purposes. I am curious about trading so that money doesn't exchange hands, would you agree that helps? More like helping a friend and they help me with something. I would have reason to believe they are trustworthy.

I'm wondering what else I need to consider, especially anything bigger that is not just needing a legal clause for protection. They would see the location first and I would meet their horse(s) before agreeing. I would want some rules about giving me notice before they show up, or certain timeframes they were allowed to show up.

Of course I would cover myself legally too. I would want them to sign a written contract that I'm not responsible for medical care, that they have to bring their own supplies OR pay in advance for all expenses (depending on the type of agreement), they have to pay for damage, and that I have certain permissions in case of emergencies. Get them to provide medical records, multiple emergency contact numbers. I have liability insurance but hope that would never be used.
    In addition to the liability insurance, you need Care Custody and Control insurance. They are different, and both necessary.

A "trade" vs. actual handing over of cash is not going to matter...your insurance company is still going to look at the risks of you leasing out space and have issues with it.

An option for you might be to lease out the area to this friend, and have her do entirely all her own work. Then she can be considered a "renter" and need rental insurance and what not.

The best bet is to speak to your homeowners insurance agent, who will be able to guide you in the right direction. There are also dozens of posts about taking on boarders, and most people agree it is a horrible, horrible idea.

Magenta Guest

Okay, I would probably stick to close friends. Leasing is a good idea. May not work since I can't completely separate it off. I'll think about how well it can be separated. I wonder how it changes if they were renting a bedroom and got use of the stables with it. That may not protect or reduce costs.