The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default EPSM horse diet. Also has heaves. HELP!

ok so i rescued a 18.3hh belgian from an auction. Hes sooooo sweet and nice and we love him but his diet is worrying me really badly. He has EPSM which caused severe muscle wasting and shivers in back right. He can not trot soundly in his hind end. He also has heaves. If you do not soak his hay first he coughs. Hes on anihist for that. Hes a very picky eater and really does not seem interested in his hay at all. He will eat it a bit. Hes in with a donkey and betweeen the two of them eat a square bale every day and a half. It just doesnt seem like hes eating enough. His EPSM diet is...
    2 scoops alfalfa cubes soaked
    1 scoop beet pulp
    1 scoop tribute kalm (12%) fat
    1 1/2 cups veg oil
    hes also on vit. E and a vit supplement
    feet twice a day.
    I know hes supposed to get 1 mg of selenium but i have no idea how to measure that much. anyone know?
    any suggestions would be great.
    ive only had him two weeks but hes still cramping and getting shivers in his hind end. shouldnt they be gone by now??? Hes driving me nuts!

thats supposed to say feed twice a day. not feet! sorry

It takes some time for the body to adjust to the new diet, so no, 2 weeks isn't necessarily long enough. I'm not sure you have the 1mg selenium correct and he should probably be getting magnesium as well. You might try L-Carnitine at 1 gram/100 lbs since he's on higher fat ( but doesn't seem enough fat if you are going the fat route). It's an amino acid that helps with the digestion of glucose and helped really soften the muscle on my mare.

Ditto RobinL... give it way more time. The longer this guy went undiagnosed, the longer he was fed an improper diet and, consequently, the longer it will take for the body to turnaround.

Ditto also on the magnesium. 24/7 turnout if at all possible and regular exercise.

Feel free to contact Dr. Beth Valentine directly. She's over on www.RuralHeritage.com in The Vet Clinic. She will gladly e-mail with you one-on-one to help you tweak the diet and offer critical guidance.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Maybe more oil. My 16.3 warmblood gets three cups per day. I think you might need at least four. And from what I remember from the rural heritage site, not all shivers respond to the diet. This horse is sooooo lucky to find you!