The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    smile4me Guest

Default J.T. Tallon "walking" into early retirement?

Tallon had great success in his early years when it was Randolph Macon Woman’s College as the Director of Riding. After 2007 he lost his spark, drive and positive attitude to develop any successful teams. Is this the end of the riding program or is this a chance to breathe new life into a suffering white elephant. Let’s hope this iconic school finds a fresh face with the passion and drive to produce a winning program once again.

Speculations to why “early retirement” have been tossed around. Tallon has alienated many in the horse community as well as his past/present staff. The riding facility and the college have undergone many changes. Admissions to Randolph College have increased however the riding program greatly suffers from poor enrollment and has done so before the school went co-ed. It's a guess to why Tallon is leaving but it appears to be a blessing in disguise.

Well bless your heart.
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

This post is extremely offensive and totally inacurate.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

I have no interest in "speculations" about this person, and see no point to your post. It appears to me that you are just looking for gossip.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

wow...
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Whatsa matter? JT get honest with you and make you cry? Really, bless your heart.

Are you kidding?! So much of what you wrote isn't true. Get your facts right and then keep them to yourself!

Did you not get in? There are lots of other colleges with horse programs so no need to cry into your pillow yet.

I get the feeling the OP is probably a former employee who didn't get to "walk" out the door on their own........

Smile4Me, who are YOU working for? I have no idea who J.T. Tallon is, or where Randolph Macon is, but you, my dear, appear to have emerged from under a bridge.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Wow. I got to ride with JT for two years when I was at Lynchburg, and I thought he was great! Literally can't think of one rider who complained about him during that time, except for maybe the proposed "mandatory" workouts because some of us were getting chunky hehehe. Don't recall hearing any negative mumblings from staff either. Great program, great Eq trainer. He'll be hard to replace.

ROFL. I rode under JT at times back when RMWC WAS RMWC. Nope, he sure didn't sugar coat anything. Nope, I sure didn't agree with him on everything. He was good at making teams that won on the IHSA rounds though. Of course, I disowned my alma mater after they went co-ed, but I think it's HILARIOUS that ol' JT made COTH and especially in this manner, ROFL!!

I'm not sure what the point of your post is. In case you didn't realize it, this is a DISCUSSION forum, not a gossip forum.

And I do know JT and rode with him at R-MWC. His manner and teaching style are not for everyone (me included), but the team was very successful when I was there.

ROFL as well!! Wildlifer are you an even or an odd?

Default 1

wow, that was totally unecessary. And why did you post this?

Quote Originally Posted by KnKShowmom View Post
    I get the feeling the OP is probably a former employee who didn't get to "walk" out the door on their own........
    by the tone, I guess the door hit this broad in the ass on her way out too!

seriously, gal, GTFO.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Cielo Guest

My daughter is currently enrolled at Randolph (she Loves it!) and is an active member of the riding program. In no way does she see J.T.'s leaving a blessing. The OP's post reads as bitter...at best.

I've known J.T. forever-way, way, way before Randolph. I've always admired him as a rider and a trainer.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Um. Wow. I'm a proud alumna of RMWC and the riding program. I rode with Janet McBrien and JT Tallon. JT is a tough taskmaster and his style is definitely not for everyone. But he is an excellent trainer and I learned a lot from him and his program. I admit that I haven't paid as much attention to NuSkool since I was heartbroken over the decision to go co-ed, but when I was there, the riding program was top notch. Evens rule!

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

I know quite a few people that rode at RMWC under JT. They did great in his program, won top accolades and talk about great lessons and tips from him that they will never forget and carry with them to this day. However, what I have heard from those same people is exactly what the OP said. In fact, one of the people wrote me recently writing the equivalent of a sigh of relief that he is retiring. They too felt his heart hasn't been in it for some time and that the care of the horses has been 'off' for quite some time. JT doesn't care for the horses himself, nor is he the barn manager. But getting a new director in would likely change a lot that needs to be improved upon. People who really loved his training style, however, will really miss him. I personally love that hard-nosed approach and thrive under that sort of teaching style.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

JT has been there a long time and accomplished a lot. My understanding is he will still be training privately and setting those wonderful courses at shows - not exactly what I would call "retirement".

Randolph, Sweet Briar and Bridgewater College will all have new Directors come fall - it will be interesting to watch the direction they will take.