The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding the shy sensitive dog

I need some suggestions on getting my shy sensitive three year old female Akita/GS mix to tolerate being boarded at the vet. She is a rescue that was abused as a puppy. She comes home from being boarded stressed and with diarrhea. The poor thing trembles whenever we go to the vet.

I live in a small town and only have two vets that I feel comfortable enough leaving my dogs with.

I know part of the problem is that we only board them 2-3 times a year and average 3 days at a time. But need to go and visit an aligning family member and will be gone for 5-7 days.

I've thought of leaving them at home and having someone come in and feed them but she is extremely shy and protective of our home.

So I guess there's not a friend you can leave her with?

It sounds like you have boarded with your vet before. What sort of advice are you looking for? Boarding alternatives? How to make board easier for your girl?

Several threads have suggested Rescue Remedy for anxious pets. I have no personal experience with it. Your vet should be able to medically manage the diarrhea and/or anxiety if it is really bad.

I do not board my pets. I pay friends or family as my pound hound loses it and my Papillon, well... I started a thread titled: "Shameless spineless whine: Timid Dog"

Sorry to hear about your sick family member.

I found a kennel that boarded my two together. The more out-going dog warmed up the more shy dog.

I have the same problem- dog will attempt to kill anyone coming into the house if I'm not there, so dog-sitters are out of the question. I just drag the dog to the kennel and try not to think about it. It has to be done. Only once or twice a year.

do you provide your usual diet to the kennel? if you let them feed whatever it is that they feed that can contribute to the diarrhea.

I'm a big fan of someone staying at the house - but I have two dogs/two cats so its also a money thing!
    IF you can find a good dog person - think someone in their 20's, used to animals, etc. and have her spend some time w/ said dog before the big event, that might help.
    Interestingly, I had a dog who was protective of home, but as it turned out, only when I was there. Had to have a plumber one day; left him a key and dog biscuits and told him to call her by name. He came in, fixed the kitchen sink and never saw the dog - she stayed upstairs in the bedroom!

Interestingly, I had a dog who was protective of home, but as it turned out, only when I was there. Had to have a plumber one day; left him a key and dog biscuits and told him to call her by name. He came in, fixed the kitchen sink and never saw the dog - she stayed upstairs in the bedroom!
    sigh. Not mine. If I'm home he's totally cool with visitors. Not home, attack dog. So I've been told. Even with people he knows well. I guess it's a good thing in general (I don't have to worry about being robbed) but the times I have to travel it doesn't work out that well.

If a friend can't stay at your house, you may want to try a Doggie Spa/ Pet Resort. Where your dogs can have their own room, private play/petting time and your dogs can be boarded together.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridinwyoming View Post
    I've thought of leaving them at home and having someone come in and feed them but she is extremely shy and protective of our home.
    Is she just protective, or will she bite someone?

I use a tech at my vet clinic that pet sits on the side for some extra cash. Check with your vet clinic (or clinics in your neighborhood) to see if they have recommendations.

I have a cat with special medication needs, so my barn help can't take care of the house pets. I've had very good luck using techs from my vet clinic. It costs about the same as boarding, even with the tech coming to the house twice a day.

I would think that a vet tech would be able to deal with a protective dog unless that dog will attack someone coming into the home.

You find someone like me who will board in-home!!!! i keep small dogs for people many weekends. It's quieter and more secure for the dogs than a cage at a kennel. BUT - there are probably other options like a pet motel or small facility with more than a cage to offer. Ask a local pet store or even a tack/feed store for suggestions.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

If you can find doggie day care, it might help to put them in day care a couple of times, then board them at the same facility. Is she aggresive with other dogs (if so, probably would fail doggie day care).
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant