The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anything for a dogs coat?

Both my dogs coats are poor lately. I've just started noticing it in the older dog and it may be age along with the crazy weather. Then I looked at the younger dog who has always had a great coat and its not as soft as it used to be either. Again, could be the weather. Are there supplements like for horses? Or is there some great at home remedy? Also, the younger one has a very sensitive tummy so I have to be careful what I add.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I buy the fish oil capsules at Sam's Club and add them to my dogs' food. The capsules are fairly cheap, around $9.00 for 300 capsules. They are high in omega 3's which are good for the skin and coat. My dogs' coats are all shiny and soft. I put 2 capsules in each dog's food per day.

Yes, fish oil capsules - my shelties get really dry skin in the winter, and a few capsules in their food takes care of it.

Make sure you start slow with them, too much right off the bat can cause tummy upset.

I give mine a swirl of olive oil with their dinner.

Do you open the capsules or do they eat them? My lab (the older one) will eat anything, so no worries adding stuff, but the younger one is a greyhound. She picks through everything, I'm sure she wouldn't eat a capsule, well, unless I soaked it in peanut butter...
    I'll see what other ideas come up. Maybe the olive oil for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    I give mine a swirl of olive oil with their dinner.
    This, I put some (extra virgin) olive oil in my dog's dinner every other day. She likes the special treat and I think it's helped her.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I buy either Grizzly brand salmon oil or Nature's logic sardine oil (tend to rotate back and forth between them) at the pet store, liquid in a bottle- you just squirt a bit over the food. All kibble-fed dogs should get fish oil of some kind, the omega-3 fatty acids they put into the kibble are unstable and don't generally make it into the dog, and they are essential for good health.

But your dogs may just be blowing coat due to the season- one of mine is and he looks kind of scruffy at the moment.

My greyhound LOVES her fish oil capsules - she picks them out of her food first. I think she enjoys popping them in her mouth...

I tried coconut oil, which she loved for about a month, then decided she was sick of it. If your dogs will eat it, it's also very good for the coat.

With just the fish oil capsules, my grey's coat improved within about a month. She has bunny rabbit soft fur (everyone comments on how soft she is), and she has started to grow hair in places where she used to be bald. Plus, she used to be pretty itchy, and this seems to have helped.

We ran out of the capsules for a bit, and within a couple of days, her skin was starting to look dry again.

I give 2 fish oil pills per dog. Olive oil works too, but the capsules are so much more convenient and are pretty cheap. My dogs love them and eat them like treats.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

GNC sells a really good coat supplement with omegas 3 and 6. I got mine at petsmart.

I just put the capsules in their food and they eat them. I always wet their evening meal and that's when I put in the capsules. They sort of soften and the dogs eat them up. You could pierce them and squeeze the contents over the food if your dog refuses to eat them though.

they will soften up if you put them in warm water - i drop them in their food and add some hot water, then let it sit for a few. They will eat them just like that.

I already add warmed pineapple juice and beef broth to their breakfast with a probiotic for the greyhound. I'll pick up some capsules today and give it a shot.

We add 100% pure (virgin / unrefined) coconut oil into their meals every day. It works better than Fish Oil. You have to be sure to get the virgin/unrefined coconut oil. It should be solid at room temperature and liquid when heated. It should also smell like coconuts. The coconut oil sold in grocery stores, etc. is NOT the right type, but we get ours at GMC or through Amazon.com.

One of my dogs should be living in a plastic bubble with all of her allergies, but we noticed a HUGE difference when we started adding coconut oil to her food!

From another website:

"Coconut Oil is a saturated fat (medium-chain fatty acid), that is not toxic at any level given. Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil refers to the way in which the coconut oil is processed-this is the statement you want on the jar."

"Why feed coconut oil?"

-A healthy source of saturated fat (medium chain fatty acids)
    -Provides energy & aids in weight loss
    -Dramatically improves skin & coat health
    -Possesses natural antifungal properties
    -Helps reduce symptoms associated with allergies
    -Aids in healing minor skin abrasions and bug bites

(http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44957)
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Grizzly brand salmon oil
    Love this product; it's available just about everywhere (I buy it from Amazon.com). Dogs love it and it's done wonders for their coat.

Info: http://www.grizzlypetproducts.com/sa...almon_oil.html

our previous Golden Ret with pots of skin issues was helped a lot with brewers yeast pills from Springtime

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    We add 100% pure (virgin / unrefined) coconut oil into their meals every day. It works better than Fish Oil. You have to be sure to get the virgin/unrefined coconut oil. It should be solid at room temperature and liquid when heated. It should also smell like coconuts. The coconut oil sold in grocery stores, etc. is NOT the right type, but we get ours at GMC or through Amazon.com.

One of my dogs should be living in a plastic bubble with all of her allergies, but we noticed a HUGE difference when we started adding coconut oil to her food!

From another website:

"Coconut Oil is a saturated fat (medium-chain fatty acid), that is not toxic at any level given. Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil refers to the way in which the coconut oil is processed-this is the statement you want on the jar."

"Why feed coconut oil?"

-A healthy source of saturated fat (medium chain fatty acids)
    -Provides energy & aids in weight loss
    -Dramatically improves skin & coat health
    -Possesses natural antifungal properties
    -Helps reduce symptoms associated with allergies
    -Aids in healing minor skin abrasions and bug bites

(http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44957)
    I wish my girl would eat it = ( She LOVED it for about a month (would lick it off the spoon and eat it first out of her meal) and now completely turns her nose up at it. She won't eat her dinner if she smells even a hint of it (melted or not, bribed with other yummies or not).

I got mine through Amazon (very good, unrefined, organic and all that), and it's really not that expensive.

This is another one you need to start slowly with - it can cause loose poops if you go too crazy right at first, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bort84 View Post
    This is another one you need to start slowly with - it can cause loose poops if you go too crazy right at first, haha.
    Coconut Oil: INDEED! I started off with an eighth of what the final amount was to be.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.