The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dealing with an 'Oops I didn't read the saddle ad' bidder on ebay

So I listed a saddle on ebay. I was very specific with the description - it's a wintec and doesn't have the changeable gullet. So someone bid on the saddle, but then emailed me and said 'This saddle has the changeable gullet system, right?" The obviously did not read my listing carefully. Now they want to retrack the bid.

So ... part of me wants to make them stick by the bid they made, and part of me wants to just drop the whole thing.

Opinions ? I've never had this happen before.

It happens to me from time to time and it is annoying...but it would be more annoying to keep their bid and then have them not pay if they win. I would just cancel the bid and be done with it.

If the auction is not over, I would cancel the bid, otherwise they will try to weasel out (possibly AFTER you ship it.) And give you bad feedback to boot.

Well, I just sold a blanket on Ebay. Listed very specific info. Bidder won,then told me AFTER the fact that the shipping was too high. Too bad too sad.
    Emailed me AFTER they recieved it, said it was not described right and wanted their money back for shipping and the item.

It was listed as a certain size, I stated that it had shrunk in the wash and was NOT the original size and would only fit a pony. and it was stained but clean.

Apparently it was not clear enough.

It was a $5 blanket. Sheesh.
    Its the first issue I have had like it after 5 years or so of Ebaying. I expect them to try to fight it (though Ebay states that buyers are responsible for return shipping...and I stated no returns). I'll get my first bad feedback.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

I'd cancel it.

I sold a saddle a few years ago with a note that the billets needed a minor repair, and a photo of the damage. Auction ended, saddle shipped, and a few weeks later I received a nasty email about how the billets were unsafe and the bidder's daughter couldn't ride in the saddle. I told her sorry, everything was disclosed in the auction.

Apparently she filed a claim with ebay/Paypal, and while I tried to dispute it, I guess they paid her and then subtracted half of the money from my account -- so ultimately I was out the saddle AND a good chunk of cash. Paypal told me I could take her to court, but it wasn't worth the time, hassle, and fees.

People are dumb, but it's not worth paying out of your pocket for their mistake.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    They're not just for racing!
    nowthatsatrot.blogspot.com

Cancel the bid. All the power in eBay now is with buyers.

Not worth the hassle.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I cancelled the bid and sent an email to the bidder saying that next time they really need to read the ads carefully, and to ask any questions PRIOR to bidding. Their response was that they thought 'All 250s had the changeable gullet. ' Ummm, not the older ones.

I have never had anyone do this to me and I've been ebaying for years. I am always super specific with my ads and rarely even get any questions.

Oh well...

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    Well, I just sold a blanket on Ebay. Listed very specific info. Bidder won,then told me AFTER the fact that the shipping was too high. Too bad too sad.
    Emailed me AFTER they recieved it, said it was not described right and wanted their money back for shipping and the item.

It was listed as a certain size, I stated that it had shrunk in the wash and was NOT the original size and would only fit a pony. and it was stained but clean.

Apparently it was not clear enough.

It was a $5 blanket. Sheesh.
    Its the first issue I have had like it after 5 years or so of Ebaying. I expect them to try to fight it (though Ebay states that buyers are responsible for return shipping...and I stated no returns). I'll get my first bad feedback.
    That sucks for you that the buyer was incapable of reading/looking at pictures before placing a bid. And for $5 she needs to get over herself. I am always super careful before I bid on anything on Ebay to double and triple check. But I would not worry too much about one bad feedback comment as long as all the others are good. I take all bad comments with a grain of salt if the overall comments of the seller are positive.

To the OP - I would cancel the bid. Not worth the hassle if she refuses to pay up. I wouldn't be nice/understanding about it though, I would clearly point out to buyer that you had listed the saddle as not having changeable gullets.

ETA oops posted at the same time, glad you did so anyway! Some people should not use Ebay...
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

All this is exactly why I closed my eBay store-not worth all the headaches trying to work with ignorant bidders.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    So I listed a saddle on ebay. I was very specific with the description - it's a wintec and doesn't have the changeable gullet. So someone bid on the saddle, but then emailed me and said 'This saddle has the changeable gullet system, right?" The obviously did not read my listing carefully. Now they want to retrack the bid.

So ... part of me wants to make them stick by the bid they made, and part of me wants to just drop the whole thing.

Opinions ? I've never had this happen before.
    Cancel the bid, notify them that you will no longer accept bids from them on any item, and relist the saddle. Also, advise eBay as to what has happened so you don't get smacked with seller fees on a sale that never happened. They'll credit you back in a situation like this, IIRC.

Good luck. My last few purchases on eBay have been good, but I've had more trouble recently than I've had in 14 years of shopping.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

WOW, some of you guys are tough..I buy more than sell on Ebay and in the few disputes I've had, I find that sellers are better protected than buyers.

Having said that, I have before misread the description on something, and one time managed to enter a $100 bid rather than a $10 one. Yes this makes me an annoying idiot, but actually I'm a human and I make mistakes, and I'm really pleased that the two sellers I've had to contact to admit my stupidity were kind enough to retract my bid without issue.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Well, the buyer in my case just opened a dispute! For a $5 used blanket! She wants me to send her back the money plus the shipping! as if!

Well, the buyer in my case just opened a dispute! For a $5 used blanket! She wants me to send her back the money plus the shipping! as if!
    That's ridiculous, I wouldn't even go there, that would be firmly in my 'take a chance' budget, some $5 purchases are gems, some go in the bin, I can't believe that someone would have a fit over it.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

People like that just need a good wake-up punch in the throat.

People are amaaaaazing.

I've gotten neutral feedback because I "made" $1.50 off a lady on S&H charges.

She was very upset when she got her item (that she admitted was perfect and a good deal) and the postage sticker had a price $1.50 lower than what I charged her. OMG THE HORROR.

I guess the idea that the packaging costs me something didn't factor in.

I feel your pain. I sell a lot on eBay but but some people are just too dumb to live.
    By the way, gaitedincali, you have the option of printing your shipping labels without postage showing. I always do. I rarely have a heavy item, but sometimes I want that extra buck in there to cover tape, packing, gas, etc.

I sold a pair of Scotch collar housings, the peaked tops like you see on the Budweiser Clydesdale collars, only farm type, not parade style. I had a lady write and ask if they were for a team or a single. I had to think a moment because my first idea of a team was a four-up, then wrote back that there were a pair of them for a pair of horses. Just like a pair of shoes. I thought that was pretty self-explanatory.

She bid on them, won them, then wrote back that there was only one and she was opening a case with eBay. The two housings had lacings that were used to attach them to a collar, and they were tied together, just as one might tie together a pair of shoes. She didn't even untie the lacing and put them on a collar.

I sent her three emails with links to harness catalogs showing her how they look - a cone top, not Krusty the Clown pair straddling a single collar. I got nowhere, and when eBay chimed in, I had to refund her in full, as I knew there was no hope in explaining this to a non-horse person. I also got bullied by eBay into refunding her before I got the items back - fortunately they came back in the same condition they went - still tied together in the original knot.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I put one on a collar (only have one collar), which I hadn't done earlier, and it looked so good, that I decided to keep them. Now I need another collar and hame set - but I won't buy them on eBay!

I am sure she opened them, decided that "farm used" was too used, and just decided to create an excuse out of thin air. Or she didn't really have any idea how her horses were harnessed, and had never really looked at a Budweiser commercial.

So I still have the "no returns" on my auctions, plus an "as is." I explain the dickens out of things as best I can. I'm selling a counter top cream separator soon, and I'm photographing all the parts that come apart, both sides, as there's rust. I am marketing it to people who might use it, and they need to know what is there, what might be missing (haven't a clue myself!).

If anyone does complain, I'll just roll over and refund again.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

Ugh, this lady is getting crazy. I offered to pay back the $5 and she sends the blanket back. She said: No, I want the shipping paid for too, I am eating the cost to ship it back already.

I responded that the ad CLEARLY stated it was a pony blanket, and stained. I was not paying her back the shipping charges as the ad stated NO RETURNS and the only way I was paying the shipping charges was if Ebay made me.

Seriously. I have purchased HUNDREDS of things on Ebay, and sold plenty too.
    I sold a $500 saddle with out a hitch. But a sh$tty $5 cotton sheet? Pfffft.

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    People are amaaaaazing.

I've gotten neutral feedback because I "made" $1.50 off a lady on S&H charges.

She was very upset when she got her item (that she admitted was perfect and a good deal) and the postage sticker had a price $1.50 lower than what I charged her. OMG THE HORROR.

I guess the idea that the packaging costs me something didn't factor in.
    I actually have to spell it out for people that I use a flat rate for shipping (with a choice of cheap and slow or quicker and pricey) because it's a six-mile one-way drive for me to get something to the PO.

And these days, sellers are pretty much hosed if a buyer disputes anything at all. Buyers know this and will pull all kind of crap. The only advantage for sellers is if it goes through eBay's dispute process and you voluntarily refund, you get your seller fees back. And buyers can leave all the negative reputation they want, while sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers. eBay doesn't care, though, as they have plenty of Chinese sellers running postage-ripoff scemes who'll keep paying if all the real sellers bail.

Well, Ebay just took away my money
    So this chick got a blanket for free. Actually she made money

LBM: File a complaint on her saying she refuses to return the merchandise, even though obviously unless she beamed it she couldn't get it there.