The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff: caught on the road in a tornado with a horse trailer.. WWYD?

I had the scariest experience yesterday..

I was returning from a clinic driving down the road with a two horse trailer, one horse, and 4 children (17, 14, 13 and 11) when we drove into bad weather. I seem to invite crazy storms whenever I travel, so I am used to driving in terrible conditions.

Terrible conditions turned very quickly into the unthinkable, when I looked on both sides of us and realized we were almost certainly about to be hit with a tornado.

Those things I learned in grade school living in tornado country came flooding back to me and I looked quickly for a bridge, which was close in front of me. When I saw that there were literally about 10 cars, trailers, semis, packed into the 3 lanes across and most of the shoulder space, I really became scared. I weasledy way through and looked for a place to stop, bit was really already too packed. The wind blew my truck and trailer over the road a little, and by the time I could think I should get the kids to safety, it was too late. We rode out the worst in the car. The truck and trailer rocked hard and swayed, but thankfully didn't flip, spin, or worse.. I texted my husband and mother with a "please pray for us, I think I'm about to ride out a tornado on the side of the road" As soon as it let up, I was out of there. I'm not sure what we sat through, and haven't really looked it up because I'm a little bit afraid to know.

But really.. In that situation, what do you do? I was in the middle of farm country nowhere near an exit.

I hope I never have that experience again. But in all seriousness, what do you do when you're caught in a horrific storm you can't get away from? What would you do? Where should I have taken those kids since on the other thread it was established that under the bridge was bad, and as far as I could see I did not see any houses, ditches, or shelter of any kind. And what, if you had time, would you have done with that horse?
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

Geez what a nightmare. I'm glad everyone is okay!

I don't know what I would do in that situation. Probably exactly what you did. I can't think of anything that might have been safer. Sometimes there really is nothing you can do...
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Being under a bridge will not help if you get right under a tornado.

All you can do is pull over and, if there is time, most recommend getting out of the car, laying face down in a ditch or as low a spot as you can find and covering your head. Afraid there would be no time to do anything with the horse, even if there were any options.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Glad you all ended up none the worse for the experience. Given what you describe- row crop fields and no houses- there isn't much else you could have done.

As hard as it is, human life trumps animal life in an immediate crisis so welfare for the children comes first.

Had tornado hit house and have had one close call on the road with a horse and trailer. Needless to say, I get anxious when the weather conditions are ripe for a tornado. Am so glad you were not injured. It's not just the high winds, it's the debris in the tornado - can send a sliver of wood, shingles, glass, metal right through you. The best things is to get the kids out, grab any blankets and head to the nearest ditch or low spot, pull blanket over all and start praying. Also, remember the pressure differential. Don't think you want to be in a car when the windows blow out and occupants can be sucked out/ejected.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

I have seen and heard of people pulling their trucks and trailers and pointing them into the direction of the tornado. Before my daughter got a POA that she had for a few years we had one almost hit the fairgrounds during a horse show.
    The people that owned the POA at the time along with everyone else manuvered
    the trucks and trailers into the direction of the wind. Not one truck or trailer was moved or damaged. Air can get under them and over the top of them at the same time. Not saying if wind isn't strong enough it wouldn't pull the truck up in the air. But it is better then having it sideways and it blowing over and rolling.

WOW! Thank God indeed!
    I agree, best thing in the situation you described is what you did. In Missouri, one couple rode out the storm in their car. Another guy got out of his, and wanted to get in theirs. They could not - too scared that the wind would rip the door off, if they tried to open it. He survived by lying down next to their car.
    If you had a clear signal of where the tornado was coming from, I guess you could try to outrun it. I don't know if this will work, but i would give it a try if i were in the situation and did know the direction.
    I would not try anything in that kind of high wind regarding opening the trailer to release the horse. If the tornado hits the trailer, I don't see how the horse will survive...but even opening the door in a 40 mph wind is a disaster itself.

Quote Originally Posted by gdolapp View Post
    I have seen and heard of people pulling their trucks and trailers and pointing them into the direction of the tornado. Before my daughter got a POA that she had for a few years we had one almost hit the fairgrounds during a horse show.
    The people that owned the POA at the time along with everyone else manuvered
    the trucks and trailers into the direction of the wind. Not one truck or trailer was moved or damaged. Air can get under them and over the top of them at the same time. Not saying if wind isn't strong enough it wouldn't pull the truck up in the air. But it is better then having it sideways and it blowing over and rolling.
    Ahhhh...BUT if the tornado actually goes over them, they ROTATE and the winds come from all directions sometimes far out from the funnel itself.

Now, if what they had were straight line winds? THOSE come from a single direction and facing into it MIGHT help...but what about flying debris in those big ole windshields facing it???? Straight line winds frequently exist around tornados-fact one barn around here lost about a 20x30 door when it blew straight into the barn-tornado was 3 miles away and a minimal one at that.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I don't know much about this since I choose to live far far away from tornado zones, but I did recently hear a story on NPR about how the movie Twister (when they hide under an overpass) has people doing all the wrong things in tornados. Apparently that's worse, because it acts as a wind tunnel.

http://www.weather.com/activities/dr...s/tornado.html