The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Riding Critique

Here are some videos of my lesson from a week or two ago. I did a working hunter no stirrups course, and an equitation with stirrups that I will post later. As you can hear from the videos, I don't get feedback in my lessons so I figured I'd ask the professionals on COTH! Any critique, constructive criticism, exercises would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbgzo...el_video_title

I'm sorry, that video bounces around too much to really give any sort of feedback.

I don't get feedback in my lessons
    So why do you take them?

I thought you had a QH trainer? I don't understand if you don't get any instruction why you're taking lessons. Also, the fences look much smaller then 2 9 but I think your equitation is good, but I'd like to see more forward from your horse.

Your trainer is probably the best one to ask instead of whoever happens to be on here that may or may not be qualified to advise you. That should be what you are paying for.

I couldn't get much out of the video, it's a nice portrait shot for about 30 seconds of a young lady laughing at the camera and alot of shots of the ground. The rest is really jerky and you are too dark against your dark horse to tell anything other then he is wringing his tail alot.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I thought you had a QH trainer? I don't understand if you don't get any instruction why you're taking lessons. Also, the fences look much smaller then 2 9 but I think your equitation is good, but I'd like to see more forward from your horse.
    I do, and I take the free lessons that I get with the board. I'm looking into a new trainer, but there are none that live close by I also made sure I put them up to 2'9 or 3'. Oh and I'm working on getting him to be a little more forward and energetic to the jumps.. I haven't been using spurs but I put them on today when I rode and it helped a good amount.

And I'm sorry for the horrible video taping... The girl I got to tape me isnt very good at all.

And that was supposed to be a lesson? Was that your coach talking to someone else in the video instead of coaching you? If so, Id find another coach, thats so irritating to be paying for lessons and not getting a "lesson".

Hard to tell from the shaky video, but your position looks pretty good to me. Im not used to the QH circuit, so not sure if the horse is supposed to be behind the verticle...but if not, only suggestion would to float the reins after the fence to prevent that curl with his head...other than that its hard to tell much but your position from a distance looks pretty good!!

some of those fences are def not 2'9".

Your position looks good from the video though and your horse looks cute, too! I agree with the above post, he does look a little behind the verticle.

I tried to watch the video twice, but got too dizzy from the camera shaking. Plus your dark breeches/pants blend in with the horse, so I can't see your leg.

I can't see anything with your position, but you must be doing something right because your horse shows quite a consistent pace throughout, good straightness and a ride to the middle, consistently well executed lead changes, and you made my heart go pitter pat riding to the *outside* of that cone at 1:30 and generally finishing your corners.

For someone who describes themselves as largely untrained, this was a better, more i's-dotted and t's-crossed performance than a lot of people who jump bigger and do it sloppily (with lessons!).

If you were my student I would probably work mainly on flat work just to improve the canter a little and see if we could get the topline a little less curled and the balance a little lighter. You came in a little tight to two of them so I might roll the ground lines out a little on the verticals to give them a little more depth and make them easier. Actually they're all verticals so I would probably put up some oxers to help develop the horse's jump. You mentioned earlier you want to start riding with a spur to get him more energetic; I actually quite like your pace and while I would work on making the horse more adjustable and a little lighter on the aids, I would not try to light him up any more or go any faster.

But overall, good job. Loved this video of someone starting to put it together correctly by paying attention to the little details. This is much more important than quibbling over whether the jumps are three inches higher or lower.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I actually quite like your pace and while I would work on making the horse more adjustable and a little lighter on the aids, I would not try to light him up any more or go any faster.
    Absolutely. Why would anyone want to see a hunter round more forward than this? She makes it down the lines & has a nice, even pace.

I would try a couple of different things to smooth things out a bit including unbraiding his tail (he does swish a lot which is distracting & will be penalized in the hunter ring)..no idea if that would help but it's worth a shot. Also, maybe sitting slightly less deep & relaxing your hand a bit might make for a more relaxed looking horse.
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

I'm very impressed by the fact you have no stirrups! I wouldn't have noticed if you had said something. I agree a touch faster would be good, and perhaps a lighter rein and seat so he doesn't try to curl. Otherwise, lovely round with a very nice horse. he is just lovely!

Your trainer appears to be a jerk and I have to ask. What herpes thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

He's just talking about EHV-1 and show cancellations.

You know, IMO her pace is FINE for these jumps. Absolutely no reason for more here, with or without irons. Maybe a little smoother trying to keep it without the curl up and tail.

That much I could see enough to comment on.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I can't see anything with your position, but you must be doing something right because your horse shows quite a consistent pace throughout, good straightness and a ride to the middle, consistently well executed lead changes, and you made my heart go pitter pat riding to the *outside* of that cone at 1:30 and generally finishing your corners.

For someone who describes themselves as largely untrained, this was a better, more i's-dotted and t's-crossed performance than a lot of people who jump bigger and do it sloppily (with lessons!).

If you were my student I would probably work mainly on flat work just to improve the canter a little and see if we could get the topline a little less curled and the balance a little lighter. You came in a little tight to two of them so I might roll the ground lines out a little on the verticals to give them a little more depth and make them easier. Actually they're all verticals so I would probably put up some oxers to help develop the horse's jump. You mentioned earlier you want to start riding with a spur to get him more energetic; I actually quite like your pace and while I would work on making the horse more adjustable and a little lighter on the aids, I would not try to light him up any more or go any faster.

But overall, good job. Loved this video of someone starting to put it together correctly by paying attention to the little details. This is much more important than quibbling over whether the jumps are three inches higher or lower.
    Thanks!! I really try to get my trainer (more like my "supervisor") to set up poles in front of jumps, set them up to a higher height like 3'6, and set up more balance lines. But, one of the girls in my lessons is scared to jump any higher than a 3' fence. I do tons of flat, I've switched to just jumping once or twice a week and flatting the rest. It's improved our fences a ton! But if I could, I would definitely be jumping 3'3 to 3'6 on a regular basis, just because I think its more fun, and same with my horse!

As for the tail wringing, we stuck the tail bag on him.. and discovered he hated it. I took it off last week, and he stopped swinging it around. Thanks everyone for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mortebella View Post
    He's just talking about EHV-1 and show cancellations.
    Yeah, that's all he ever does. I'm switching trainers after the summer trip most likely. It's gotten out of hand, but I'd rather not talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    I'm very impressed by the fact you have no stirrups! I wouldn't have noticed if you had said something. I agree a touch faster would be good, and perhaps a lighter rein and seat so he doesn't try to curl. Otherwise, lovely round with a very nice horse. he is just lovely!

Your trainer appears to be a jerk and I have to ask. What herpes thing?
    Thanks! Over the summer I like to take them off my saddle, but I have to work my way up to it . He's not a jerk at all, I've known him for 10 years. He just almost lost interest in what we are doing. But again, I don't want to get to off topic. But the Equine Herpes Virus that began out west.. We were planning on doing some shows out in Texas and he was telling some of the other girls about it and how they cancelled shows because of it. But thank you for the compliment on my horse I love him to death, we've come such a long way together!

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar_moves View Post
    Yeah, that's all he ever does. I'm switching trainers after the summer trip most likely. It's gotten out of hand, but I'd rather not talk about it
    VERY glad to hear that is now an option-IIRC that was suggested last time you were on here regularly. Good decision and like to think COTH got you thinking about that.

And, yeah, keep the details out of it, we don't need to know and neither does all of cyberspace.

One thing you might try is to move-or ask trainer to move- your ground poles out a little further and put one on each side of your fence. Show fences are as wide as they are high so put them about 18" in front of and behind your fence to get you a much better jump and help the horse to use himself better. The jumps don't need to be higher but wider is going to help when they are just airy post and rails like these that require little effort and almost no pace.

Of course, when he jumps a little wider you WILL need to carry a little more pace for a bigger step, so let go a little.

Good luck at your summer shows and let us know when you switch trainers. I think you will be very surprised and pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Im not used to the QH circuit, so not sure if the horse is supposed to be behind the verticle...but if not, only suggestion would to float the reins after the fence to prevent that curl with his head...other than that its hard to tell much but your position from a distance looks pretty good!!
    They are not "supposed to" be behind the vertical according to the rulebook; however, some judges pin horses with their heads too low and and behind the vertical over others with a more natural "hunter style" headset and carriage. I'm hoping to see a change in this soon so that AQHA and APHA hunters aren't going around on their forehand and actually start jumping correctly from their hind end.

I like your horse! You guys started a little on the forehand, but he picked up nicely once you guys started jumping. Your equitation was very good for no stirrups!

I wish my old *** could sit that tight around a course with no stirrups!!!!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!