The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Really, how good can a frog taste?

I look out the window and see one of my year old cats running around with something in it's mouth. I go out there and it's a frog - a big frog, about 3" long. I got the poor frog away from the cat and put it down in my tomato garden (cat didn't see me do it). It was still alive. Maybe it will live. Aren't a lot of frogs poisonous?

I get the reason for catching and eating squirrels (blech!) but frogs and lizards? Are those really that yummy?

I think I'd probably rather eat frog than squirrel... but I don't think my barn cat has ever brought us a frog! Blech!

Cats have a higher prey drive than hunger drive. Fast-hopping toads and frogs look just as fun to chase and kill as mice and squirrels.

Some toads can secrete a substance on their skin that can be poisonous to certain animals. We have toads around here that make the dogs foam at the mouth and vomit if they get ahold of one of the toads. My dobe has only ever tried to get one toad. He's a fast learner. I believe there are some toads farther west with a protective substance they secrete that can actually kill some dogs if the dogs get ahold of them. The toads we have around here are, IIRC, hybrids and won't cause any severe harm to medium and larger sized dogs.

This time of year we have quite a few toads around... due to all the delicious bugs!

The toads we have here apparently don't taste good since any dog I've ever had who decided to try to kill one backed off. First time I saw a dog actually try to spit was after he picked up a toad. I have a pup right now who is not a fast learner...he sees a toad hopping he is on it, he picks it up and spits it out and tries again.....
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

My poor Malinois, when he was about 6 or 7 months old, made the mistake of catching a toad. Poor guy, I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in all my life! Spat the toad out ... really, that toad went flying! Pawed his mouth, rubbed his muzzle madly in the dirt, pawed some more, licked the dirt, pawed some more, ran and drank madly out of the horse's water trough, more dirt-rubbing and -licking, more pawing, ate some manure from one of the ubiquitous piles and finally flopped down at my feet, looking utterly woebegone.

He gives toads a wide berth now.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Frogs? Pretty good! Especially big ole bullfrogs.....legs, fried, with hushpuppies and corn fritters and maybe some coleslaw. And watermelon afterwards. Yum.

Toads....different, completely different.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    My poor Malinois, when he was about 6 or 7 months old, made the mistake of catching a toad. Poor guy, I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in all my life! Spat the toad out ... really, that toad went flying! Pawed his mouth, rubbed his muzzle madly in the dirt, pawed some more, licked the dirt, pawed some more, ran and drank madly out of the horse's water trough, more dirt-rubbing and -licking, more pawing, ate some manure from one of the ubiquitous piles and finally flopped down at my feet, looking utterly woebegone.

He gives toads a wide berth now.
    do you have any new pics of the pup? How is he doing? Silly, silly dog!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Ah, that's right. They really are toads not frogs, right. Either way, blech! I'm about to go out and water and see if mister toad is still alive.

I just don't want kitties to come back in the house and throw up toad/squirrel/vole/lizard parts up. That just gives me the icky quivers just thinking about it. LOL!

Penny, my Border Collie:
    Night after night, stoopid toad would hop over to her water dish. Dive in. Penny would grab him/her/it. I would remove toad. I'm thinking toads aren't too smart. Blech.

Worse: my JRT would bring giant SLUGS into the house and wouldn't let go. She'd be foaming, happy as can be, tail going a million miles a minute. When I would finally get them to part company, I'd give her some potato chips to ?clear her palate?? Double blech.

Growing up I had a Springer spaniel who would gulp down whole frogs... find, catch, swallow. It was like a buffet when she was at the pond or after it rained... It never bothered her in the least so they must have digested alright...

Yes, actually, frog's legs are delish! Or cuisses de grenouilles if it sounds more palatable in French.

Actually squirrel is pretty good too. I grill mine in foil w/veggies, sort of a brunswick stew kind of variation.

But you shouldn't listen to me. I like escargots, too.

Ewwww. My kitty loved frogs and snakes....and all critters as well. Once she became an indoor kitty due to age I was grateful for the lack of animal parts laid at my feet!

I had one cat that killed and ate parts of at least 9 frogs. She would always eat the legs and sometimes the head.

This morning I came down to the kitchen to find the one of my cats left me the back half of a bunny -on the kitchen counter. Lots of bleach later...
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well, a salamander and snake have both made appearances in my house via cat, along with several Pacific Chorus Frogs, so I'd say cats like to catch anything that moves quickly.

The poor salamander was so funny! Carefully walking across the bedroom floor, observed by two old fat lady cats on the bed, who's expressions could best be described as "Oh, hell no! He did NOT bring that in the house, did he?!". The male cat in question was lying there, stupid kitty grin on his face, marveling at how clever he was to catch such a beast. The salamander was fine, I scooped him up and took him back to the wood pile.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!