The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default washing machines

My old trusty went. So, I bought a new one...the really new kind, energy saving type, where lids lock, etc.

I hate it. I like to check in on my laundry and can't without stopping and waiting for the lid to unlock.
    I also cannot stand the eh, eh, eh noise the thing makes while 'sensing'.

So, anyone have any ideas on a great washing machine that doesn't make so darn much noise and allows you to open the lid.
    I really hate the thing. And I love doing laundry, or well, I use to.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I totally agree! The lid locks on ours and if I want to add anything, the stupid cycle starts over again. I also opted-d'oh-for one without an agitator. Stupid stupid stupid. Did I mention the stupid washing machine is stupid? If the kids want to lift the lid and end up falling in-that's called a Life Experience.

I also can't set the water temps the way I want to. The machine-thank you Big Brother-does it for me.

Give me an old fashioned machine where I dump the powder in, can add clothes, check on the wash WHEN I WANT TO.
    I also want a rotary phone, a car that doesn't talk to me, and a microwave with a dial. Get over it people! Quit improving our lives!!!
    (See old/more mature thread in Off Topic Day)

When we moved into our RV we bought an all in one washer/dryer unit.

I have NEVER been around a locking lid before this thing and that drives me BONKERS! I get it, especially because this is a front load, dont want to open it and flood my bathroom... But really, when you turn around and realize that one sock didnt get thrown in and you've already started it, it's such a pain to shut it off, wait for it to unlock, and then throw the sock in and start it again. I guess it's not that big of a deal really, but annoying!

However, aside from the fact that it's a smaller machine (to fit in an RV!) i love the all in one function. It does take longer to dry my clothes, if i throw in a couple pairs of jeans or towels, it will take 2hrs to dry... BUT, to just throw everything in, set it, and 2-3hrs later i have dry clothes without having to switch machines or forget and leave wet clothes in the washer overnight, and you know how hard that musty smell is to get out later! I'm in love with my all in one machine. I wonder if they make an all in one full size for when we move out. The only draw back with it is, if you've got a lot of laundry, you cant run two loads at once. And with mine being a smaller machine, not much fits in there in the first place. But we've gotten used to throwing in a load every night (whatever we wore for the day) and it's not that big of a deal. Its easier to put away one small load than two big ones!

I get it though, my mom got a high tech set with 800 buttons on it and when we visit i swear i sit there staring at the thing for 20min just trying to figure out how to turn it on... I dont understand how that "improves" anyone's life... Except her laundry room is rather snazzy with big blue washing machines and matching blue decor...

I so thought I wanted one of those red front loaders for my new house. No fricking way.

I am ultra grateful I saved my old machine, and I am having it repaired. I hate this new one. Takes forever too.

I wonder if this is how our grandmother's and mothers felt when the kind that you rung your clothes through were replaced with the agitator type. Now, being replaced with this very techy, do it all for you.

I suppose a family would love it. But, I am single and really want a bit more control over the clothes and how I wash them.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Strangely, I like my new Samsung front loader washer and dryer. Particularly the washer which is very quiet, vibration free, and uses a fraction of the water my old Kenmore (Whirlpool) top loader did. The fact that it locks the door during the cycle is of no consequence to me.

If a garment is forgotten, it goes in with the next load. And why would I ever want to open the door to "check"? What is there to check?

I load it, slam the door shut, hit the go button, and go about my day without giving it a second thought. That's why I pay for automation, both at home and at work.

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Strangely, I like my new Samsung front loader washer and dryer. Particularly the washer which is very quiet, vibration free, and uses a fraction of the water my old Kenmore (Whirlpool) top loader did. The fact that it locks the door during the cycle is of no consequence to me.

If a garment is forgotten, it goes in with the next load. And why would I ever want to open the door to "check"? What is there to check?

I load it, slam the door shut, hit the go button, and go about my day without giving it a second thought. That's why I pay for automation, both at home and at work.
    I also have a Samsung and with one major exception I love it. Evidently it is a known issue with some models but the water intake valve sticks and doesn't fill. The machine knows this and instead if just waiting till there is enough water, it quits, throws a NF error code and dings till someone presses start. There are very predictable times when it does this, like at 1:50. 40 28 and 16. And it can get stuck several times in one spot so I might end up standing infront of the machine for 10 min or so waiting for it to get past that sticking point.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Eh. I'm thrilled with my Bosch front loaders. Even as we speak there's a clean horse blanket drying on my porch railing and another getting the hair vacuumed off prior to going in. If I feel the need for the old kind I'll buy a used one off of CL.

Yes, it is annoying to wash one sock and find the mate but I never find the stupid thing till after the load is done anyway, so . . .
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Check your return policy. It's a shame to be stuck with something you really don't like. BestBuy has a cool washer and dryer learning center on their website that helps with features and rebates. Price match etc. Even if you don't shop BB you can still research the features. Good luck.

Our barn owner very sweetly gifted us a new washer/dryer set for the barn this Christmas. The bad news is that we all hate it! It is water efficient and won't let you select the amount of water. We realized that the blankets and saddlepads weren't being rinsed well enough when all of our horses started getting hives on their backs So we have to run everything twice; once with soap and once without. So much for water efficient....

My machine has started making noises like a goose, so a new one is nigh. Is everybody happy with the way the new ones wash? Do they come as clean as with an agitator? The not being able to add something is ok. Family of 4, on a farm, the laundry is always going. But I don't want to wash the shitty clothes twice. Any recommendations for great washing ability and a good size. The hubby is large 34W 36L wears XLT shirts, so his stuff really fills up the regular washer we have
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Soprano View Post
    Our barn owner very sweetly gifted us a new washer/dryer set for the barn this Christmas. The bad news is that we all hate it! It is water efficient and won't let you select the amount of water. We realized that the blankets and saddlepads weren't being rinsed well enough when all of our horses started getting hives on their backs So we have to run everything twice; once with soap and once without. So much for water efficient....
    Are you using the HE soap, and a TEENY amount? Just a thought! Also, the goons who installed our washer really screwed up - firstly they hooked the hot to the cold, and they "corrected" that by hooking hot to hot, cold to cold...but not turning the taps on full, so, like you, washing was still dirty and/or soapy.

Unfortunately every single new washer is required to have that stupid locking lid. I just this morning bought this washing machine: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2

It was the only NON-"energy star" one I could find. It has a REAL agitator and it actually FILLS with water. Everything I've read about these new energystar ones is how only the bottom layer of clothes gets clean, because a) they have no agitator to bring the clothes to the bottom, and b) they don't use enough water to wash the clothes.

Maybe by the time this new one dies in 10 years or so they will have improved this "energystar" thing. Otherwise I'm going back to a washboard.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I have a front load washer, Kenmore, and I love it. Fits big horse blankets, as well as king size duvet cover. And if I do forget to put something in its got a pause option... which unlocks the door. I've never used it very far into the wash, but to be honest if I've forgotten something that late into the wash it's probably to late for it to actually "wash" that item anyway.
    Never had any issues with stuff not coming clean or still having soapy residue left.

I have always liked a front loader.

I would love a huge colorful one to wash horse blankets in.

I do NOT like some idiot engineer designing a machine to tell me how to wash my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post

I also really like my new Samsung front loaders. If I drop a sock, I just hit pause, which unlocks the door, and toss it in. They are really quiet!

You're not alone in your dissatsifaction with the new models the inside-the-DC-beltway Fourth Reich has decreed, so much that there are numerous repair shops that recondition old models. Find them at the first hint your machine may be near death.

Unless it's a serious problem, they may also may be able to repair your existing one.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams