The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Contract: Work in exchange for free board

Is there anyone who is good with contracts and can draw one up easily, or anyone that already has one? I'm taking my TB to the farm that I interned at all spring for school and I'm going to continue working in exchange for him to have free board. I need a contract that will state I will work x hours a week in exchange for board of my horse and all the things the board includes (24/7 turnout with run-in, water, feed, and so on). My internet searches are not pulling up anything. Thanks!

It sounds like you have already had a conversation with the powers that be. Just write up a contract in the way you understand it and run it by the manager and see whether s/he has anything to add. Be sure to include the care described for your horse and the hours and all of the duties that are expected of you.

Whatever you do, be sure you go out of your way to do a more thorough job than is expected.

Make sure your contract includes not only you must work X number of hours per week, but also the following:

1) What services you will perform during those X hours? Mucking, cleaning wash stall, exercising, feeding AM/PM, turn-out...

2) Your responsibility / The BM's responsibility
    You are responsible for tasks listed above performed x hours per week in exchange for ___ board. BM is responsible for providing ___ board to ____(named horse) described as _______. Define "full board" in your contract (BM provides one 14 x 14 stall for "Horse" at full board which includes.....)

3) How will you keep track of these hours?
    BM must sign off on hour sheet? You must sign in at ___ location?

4) If you fall short of X hours, what happens?
    ____ board is priced at $____/month. Therefore $___ / per hour. If you fall short, will you have to pay $___ / per hour?

5) Contract length / termination clause?
    How long is this contract valid for? month-to-month? 6-months? one-year? Termination clause - what is the amount of time the BM needs to give you to say "you now have to pay board."

6) What happens if board prices increase? Will you have to work additional hours?

You want to cover every detail, and you present it to the BM/BO as protecting both yourself as well as them.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Great advise.

As our attorneys tell us, contracts are only good to determine what is involved in what the contract is about.

Make a list and put everything down you can think about, what you are obligated to, what your employer is obligated to, etc.

Good contracts are those that take care fairly of BOTH parties.
    Make it where it protects and ask for responsabilities by BOTH of you.
    One sided contracts are much easier to ignore by the courts, if it gets to it.

Be sure to spend time on the termination language. Sometimes things don't work out, so it's really important to have language on how the termination is handled -- notice, how payment is applied, etc. HydroPHILE gave some great advice. Cover all you bases.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Barter deals like that are fully taxable you know....theboard is income for your labor and needs to be declared. Sure you want that written contract now?
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TouchstoneAcres View Post
    Barter deals like that are fully taxable you know....theboard is income for your labor and needs to be declared. Sure you want that written contract now?
    If it was up to me....absolutely. Coming from someone who has been on both sides of the issue - I will always use a written contract protecting both parties.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchstoneAcres View Post
    It's different for ag. Check it out.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...113437,00.html

And even if it were taxable, it's the BO who would end up paying any tax incurred, not the OP.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

personally we tried having boarders work off the board and it was not so easy to enforce so we stopped doing it that way. We went to this system that alleviated all arguments: the board is X. Board X is due on the 1st of the month. (Said employee did have to pay the first months board up front this way). After that she keeps a log of hours worked. She is rembursed at x dollars per hour. So...if she worked off 200.00 and the board is 275 then the following month she owes me 75.00 for board for the month. In the event that she works more hours than covers the board (say board is 275 and she earned 300. that month) then she can either be paid the difference or choose to apply it to the next months board/run a credit. Our boarder chose to run a credit because she was a student. She had a lot of time to work in the summer and there was a lot of stuff to do here. In the winter she could not work as much with her schoolwork, plus there was less that needed to be done here.