The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wanting to try hunting

Am seriously kicking myself because last summer my trainer was organizing a barn trip to VA to stay at a friends farm and go foxhunting. I decided that the cost was too much and bowed out. The trip ultimately fell apart. Of course now I realize the cost was waaay cheap for what our plans were

I woud like to organize my own trip to foxhunt if possible. I am a newbie to jumping (but not riding) so I want to hilltop only. I would need to lease a hunt horse and have a place to stay. And instruction on proper hunt ettiquete would be needed

Is this at all possible? I live in TN so would be looking at the VA/NC/SC area.

Why not contact some of the Tennessee hunts? I bet if you call one of the Masters and explain your interest, arrangements can and will be made. Plus it would be a damn sight cheaper.

Contact me if you would like any guidance for up here in Virginia.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

You should absolutely contact Hunter's Rest and consider a field trip there. I've had the good fortune to have her guidance twice now, and had a wonderful time on both trips. She has made horses that can allow you to focus on learning and enjoying the experience as they take care of you. Get down there a day or two early to do a lesson and hack out. I will definitely be going back in the fall, please feel free to pm me if you have any questions about my visits.

Is there another CotH hunt afoot?

Mildot- Thanks for the reminder that we have hunts right here at home, I always seem to forget them!

I am leaning towards VA just because I love to see new places and travel. I would turn it into a vacation.

Hunters Rest- Your place looks fabulous! Makes me wish I lived nearby, I would love to ride often with you. I will defintely contact you soon! This may potentially be a next fall trip, Im running myself low on vacation days.

Hinderella- A COTH hunt? Now that sounds fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Newbie View Post
    A COTH hunt? Now that sounds fun!
    Oh it IS! My husband is still telling the stories, and he didn't even ride.

Mildot- Thanks for the reminder that we have hunts right here at home, I always seem to forget them!
    I hope I didn't come across as snarky or facetious....that wasn't my intention.

I am leaning towards VA just because I love to see new places and travel. I would turn it into a vacation.
    Absolutely a great idea.

If it were me (also another newb) I would do one or two local hunts and also travel to VA.

mildot- didnt take it as snarky at all! I seriously forget that we do have hunts around here. I like the idea of doing a local hunt and traveling to VA.

Smile Coth hunt this Fall

Yes, there will be another coth hunt this Fall. We just haven't planned the dates yet. If you look at the 2 we did last season, you will get a feel for all the fun we cram into a very long "weekend". i expect that Mortebella will be up from Tenn. for it. Maybe you could car-pool/trailer with her and start the fun early.

Right now, I'm over on the event forum since I'm teaching my mares to jump. I hope to jump in the new hunt season. so, we are doing the jumping training with Jimmy Wofford. Who also was a MFH of Piedmont Hunt. I love the cross over sports..
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Hunter Newbie, where in TN are you? (PM me if you don't want to post location.) I would LOOOOOOOOVE to be back in VA for another COTH hunt!!! SO much fun