The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any Reviews for Pyrahna Fly Spray System?

Would anyone that uses the Pyrahna Fly Spray System care to give a review? I boarded at a barn nearly a decade ago that had it (or at least something very similar), but I don't really recall anything specific. I seem to recall it working well. Then again, I didn't have anything to compare it to, as I started boarding there after it was installed.

The old owners of my barn used (and left for us) the Country Vet Fly Spray Systems in every stall. At best, I find them to be minimally effective, and I really think they aren't doing much of anything to help control the fly population in the barn. I'm seriously considering the Pyrahna system, so would love to hear anyone's experiences. We're looking at a DIY installation for 6 stalls, so installation tips would also be welcome.

I am doing as much as possible to keep the fly population down. Neighbors and I use fly predators, and I am also mixing cedar shavings in with my pine shavings. Luckily, none of my horses are sensitive to the cedar, and it seems to help a bit. Still, I think a good fly spray system would be most effective... so is the Pyrahna system worth it?

I worked at a barn some time ago that had it. They had hardly any flies, but they also were really aggressive in other ways, like using fly predators and such, so I don't know how much was the system.

However, I do have to say I am partial to any product that uses the word AUTOMAGICALLY in their writeup. That is a fantastic.

edit: I just realized that it isn't an "automatic fly spray system," it's an "automagic" one. Even better.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    However, I do have to say I am partial to any product that uses the word AUTOMAGICALLY in their writeup. That is a fantastic.

edit: I just realized that it isn't an "automatic fly spray system," it's an "automagic" one. Even better.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

I just Googled it and linked to the first site that popped up (er, without reading it). Not sure that's just a seller or the actual manufacturer. Either way...

I hope it doesn't only work for Majikal horses.

I installed Phyranna systems in both of my barns 18 years ago. As long as you drain and bleed the lines before winter, you should have no problems.

This year I have 2 plugged nozzles out of 20 stalls -- not bad for 18 years of service. Still going strong.

It's a great system, easy to maintain and has donegreat job keeping the flies away! (It also keeps spiders out and reduces cobwebs significantly - less cleaning).

We just don't have much of a fly problem in the barn. I keep the doors of the barn closed on the sunny side (NE in the morning, SW after noon.) Add in the stall fans and you rarely see a fly in the barn. I use fly predators also. As an added benefit, it keeps the barn much, much cooler.

I'm guessing that wouldn't work for a busy barn, though.

Thanks so much, everyone!