I ask because I have a bad case right now that I am 99% sure came from oils on my dog. Just looked on the skin inside his ear and he has some bumps there that look an awful lot like my rash. Only in one ear though, and only on the part not covered with hair.
it's an allergic reaction to the plant that causes the symptoms- I suppose it's possible some dogs can be allergic to it. Mostly they seem to not be allergic to it though. Mine seem to enjoy romping in it. We have some pretty robust growths of it around here. Plus ticks. Fun.
Dogs do not suffer from contact dermatitis due to poison ivy.
they can, however, transfer the oils to you.
Yup, learned this the hard way. Ended up with poison ivy all over my arms and legs right before taking the bar exam. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how I got it since studying meant I hadn't seen the light of day for weeks. Then I saw fido I and fido II frolicking through a patch of it in the back yard.