The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Neuropathic Pain & Riding -Barn Chores How do you do it?

I have non-diabetic neuropathy, I have taken all sorts of drugs for it and up until recently Lamictal (generic) until my drug store screwed up and I had to go off it for four days, during which time my family said I was a changed person (for the better)not a bad person while I was on it, but they said it was like I had new life in me, so I never went back on it. Although it worked great. Then my doc switched me to Topimax (generic) that made me totally stupid, unlike anything I have ever experienced. It gave me horrible teeth pain, like a tooth ache in your entire mouth! I couldn't speak straight, do basic task etc. Did it work? Who cares, I wouldn't continue that to save my life!

Of course I have other things like tendinitis and bursitis in my shoulders/elbows, bulging disc in my neck and a weak ankle (all due to the horse industry) lol Gosh I love horses!!!

I ride all the time, have more barn chores than I know what to do with and need a full staff to help me, but I get it done. I just don't want to be on the pain killer trip for the rest of my life.
    So my question is who here also suffers from this horrible nerve disease and how do you cope? What do you take or do that helps?
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

This might sound a little strange, but my father lives with this issue, and he's just started a course of hypnotherapy treatment. After the third treatment, he's had most of a week almost completely pain free, for the first time in 10 years. He's tried just about everything else either to no avail or with miserable side effects.

Might be worth checking out.

I take Sevella for my C.E.S. and it worked very well. After being on Neurotin,Topamax,Lyrica and every other drug under the sun I had enough of being a miserable zombie.

I have perferial (sp) neuropothy along with a whole slew of other things one of which one of the symptoms is gee neuropothy like pain..
    Im on 1800mg neurotion a day.
    It seems as though every few moths I have to p the doseage of the neurotion. because of ''breakthrough pain''
    I cant take Topamax btdt ended up in hospital 400+ miles fom home..Cant take most of the other meds listed ended up in same hspital.. ( can not take many neurological/ seizure/ headach meds sure to allergic reaction).
    im glad you posted this thread as I was wondering ow many ride withthis problem. As dh is overly protective to the point of smothering.. And he feels like should not ride again ( I disagree of course) but if I can prove that othes ride with this then my agument is stronger..
    Friend of bar .ka