The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suggestions for clothing at the barn when you have to wear a honking big knee brace

I tore my MCL in early January, but it wasn't until the 2nd MRI, more cartilage damage, and lots of inflammation later that it was diagnosed. I am in a hinged knee brace 24/7 for 4-6 weeks and then we reassess, but my physical therapist warned me it could take up to 6 months.

That brings us to the now 90 plus degree weather in St. Louis. Which will soon become 100 without the heat index, and, as we say here, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. I can't wear the brace over breeches (PT and MD say it will slide and not offer the appropriate support). It is only going to get hotter. I don't want to wear shorts as (a) I will burn even with 100 SPF and (b) more critically - thanks to the horrific rains, we are abundant with ticks, and I had lyme last summer and do not want to repeat and (c) can we say chiggers?

Do I invest buy a cheaper pair of thin breeches that will fit over this brace (and I will need to go up likely two or more sizes to fit over this thing), or are there thinner jeans someone can recommend? What I'd prefer is something I can pull thin socks up over (like breeches) to minimize possible routes of entry for ticks and chiggers.

I am trying to do what I can do to keep my horse in work (which limits me to long reining and free lunging, I can't even do in hand). And I still want to come out and groom and etc.

Any suggestions? I can't be the first person here to deal with this!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

You may want to reassess if you should even be at the barn and working around horses.

A friend's daughter just had some serious repair surgery to her knee, has been doing great, is in a bulky brace now and has direct orders not to be around any horses or cattle for the foreseable future, as any little bump or twist may undo what the surgery fixed.

Working their calves last week, she was told to stay in the house, no riding, no being around anywhere she may have to scramble around or out of the way.

Once the knee heals well and yes, it will take from 6 months to a year, then she has the rest of her life to do what she wants.
    If she keeps reinjuring that knee, she may not have a good outcome and that knee be cause of problems for the rest of her life.

Do rethink what you can do, what chances you want to take and you may not have to worry about what to wear over the brace while working with or around horses with a recent knee repair.

I have to wear a honking big knee brace also, and I have found that the "yoga" style pants offer much by way of comfort over the brace and still allow me to do my day to day exercising ( I participate in a circuit training class, and these pants are terrific there! I have to admit though, I haven't dared to get on a horse with my brace on. My movement is far too restricted to allow any measure of safety for me to dismount if a problem arises. I hope you find something comfortable you can wear with it! I love my knee brace, it has taken away the debilitating knee pain I have been walking around with for months, and I can hopefully avoid surgery ( for as long as possible anyway...)!
    I use my brace for working around my horses when feeding or leading, I have to, there is no one else to do the work for me, but I am dealing with a torn meniscus and torn cartilage along with osteo arthritis as opposed to an MCL or ACL tear. But the yoga pants do great for me! They are thin enough to tuck into sock also, esp if you get the fitted ones ( they are still stretchy enough to go over my brace, which is a custom made orthotic.)
    Last edited by luckyducky; May. 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added more information for OP

luckyducky - can you give me a link as to type? I take yoga (well, I did, up until last January!) but can't remember what people wore (I just wore my breeches). This may be the answer!!!

Bluey - I know, I know. I know riding is out for a long time (actually, I cringe at the thought of trying to mount, because the last time I did, I broke out in a sweat from the pain). I walk forward, and have been doing long reining long enough that if anything, I am walking better when I do that (because my horse mimics me right back). Unfortunately, he suffered a serious injury back in November, and then a second episode in January, and he's 19, and if he is going to stay sound he needs to be worked consistently, and my trainer already has her hands full, and there is no one else. But I'm not post-surgery, as unless it is torn completely off an MCL tear is not amenable to surgery. Since I'm okay for weight bearing walking, I figure I might as well walk. I don't ask for trot or canter on the long lines. And I am staying well away from the muck in the paddocks, and I am only working him in the indoor (poor guy!) since the outdoor footing is deeper and thus more problematic.

The other night he was in the shed when I called him, the paddock is muck thanks to all the flooding rains, and I realized if he didn't come over to me I would have spent $10 in gas and the hour's travel to wave to him from the paddock gate. Thank goodness he knows who controls when he gets his peeps.
    www.specialhorses.org

I wonder if bombachas would work for your need. They
    will give lots of room in the leg and are made to fit tight
    at the ankle which would help exclude ticks.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

bombachas? Do you have a link? I am so clueless about fashion styles if they aren't jeans or breeches!
    www.specialhorses.org

You could also try scrub pants ... available from Target for small prices. I wore these after surgery to install a rod in my femur. I had stitches all up and down the leg and did not want anything to rub on them. Scrubs with drawstrings worked very well.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926
    RIP Carleigh 1999-2011

Honestly, I just wear mine (custom ACL brace) over my breeches with no problems. It has never slipped. I think I would have needed to go up at least 2 sizes, if not more, to fit the brace under my pants. And I just couldn't afford a whole new wardrobe, LOL!

I was told not to wear mine over anything. But maybe I will readdress this with the medical powers that be after today. I'm heading out to the barn now, and it's 90oF and there is this funny yellow orb in the sky exuding light and warmth...the elders in my village call this "the sun."
    www.specialhorses.org

Default You can tell I'm not a fashionista

pajama bottoms?

I wear them over my swimsuit when cleaning stalls
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Well, if you truly can't wear anything under the brace, I'd second the scrub pants idea b/c they would be inexpensive and cool. But, I think that if you could wear something under the brace, a thin pair of riding pants couldn't possibly alter the fit much. In fact, I just got a pair of the Kerrits bootcut pants and they are very stretchy and cool/comfortable for summer wear.

I didn't have to wear a brace after my knee surgery, but I really sympathize with you, it is a tough type of operation to recover from around horses. At one point I got stuck in the mud when the boot of my good leg got stuck and I couldn't get it out one legged. What a scene. I liked waving my crutches around imperiously, though

Anyway, good luck with your recovery. There is nothing wrong with using peeps to control your loved ones. Or with cleaning stalls in a swimsuit and pj bottoms for that matter.

drat, DGRH. Sympathy and ((((((((HHHUUUGGGSSS)))))))) from me and the gang here.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    I tore my MCL in early January, but it wasn't until the 2nd MRI, more cartilage damage, and lots of inflammation later that it was diagnosed. I am in a hinged knee brace 24/7 for 4-6 weeks and then we reassess, but my physical therapist warned me it could take up to 6 months.

That brings us to the now 90 plus degree weather in St. Louis. Which will soon become 100 without the heat index, and, as we say here, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. I can't wear the brace over breeches (PT and MD say it will slide and not offer the appropriate support). It is only going to get hotter. I don't want to wear shorts as (a) I will burn even with 100 SPF and (b) more critically - thanks to the horrific rains, we are abundant with ticks, and I had lyme last summer and do not want to repeat and (c) can we say chiggers?

Do I invest buy a cheaper pair of thin breeches that will fit over this brace (and I will need to go up likely two or more sizes to fit over this thing), or are there thinner jeans someone can recommend? What I'd prefer is something I can pull thin socks up over (like breeches) to minimize possible routes of entry for ticks and chiggers.

I am trying to do what I can do to keep my horse in work (which limits me to long reining and free lunging, I can't even do in hand). And I still want to come out and groom and etc.

Any suggestions? I can't be the first person here to deal with this!
    I had a similar situation. I had no choice but to be around the horses, single new mom, own the farm. Honestly- this sounds CRAZY- go get some khaki maternity pants from a cheaper chain store ( or Macy's/Penny's has some that are good).

Why maternity? 1. That is what I had ( just had the baby) but 2. they are lighter and allow some movement, which you will need. Some of them are loose enough I could even wear the brace underneath.

The allow some movement w/ you giant brace ( been there, done that).

The main issue is, the brace WILL wear a hole on leg of your pants. IT is the one w/ all the velcro straps and metal hinges- right? So get some cheapies that when you are THANKFULLY brace free, you can get rid of and not care.

Good luck! I did it and survived!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    Well, if you truly can't wear anything under the brace, I'd second the scrub pants idea b/c they would be inexpensive and cool. But, I think that if you could wear something under the brace, a thin pair of riding pants couldn't possibly alter the fit much. In fact, I just got a pair of the Kerrits bootcut pants and they are very stretchy and cool/comfortable for summer wear.

I didn't have to wear a brace after my knee surgery, but I really sympathize with you, it is a tough type of operation to recover from around horses. At one point I got stuck in the mud when the boot of my good leg got stuck and I couldn't get it out one legged. What a scene. I liked waving my crutches around imperiously, though

Anyway, good luck with your recovery. There is nothing wrong with using peeps to control your loved ones. Or with cleaning stalls in a swimsuit and pj bottoms for that matter.
    I wish scrubs were cool. The ones I have are light, but polyester. And they are HOT. I loff my cotton PJ bottoms
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I either wore wider legged cotton knit pants over or the brace on top of something tighter fitting. Mine was a custom ACL brace. I rarely had trouble with it slipping down and I worked in a gymnastics center. We moved here in June...had to work outside all summer and I don't wear shorts when I'm working outside. Wore it over jeans, khakis, scrubs, whatever.

Boy was I glad to get rid of the darn thing! I had Lyme too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I have seen some exercise/running suit type pants, not very expensive and very light material, you can almost see thru those, that look stretchy and may fit over a brace, at WalMart.
    I know in your area Walmart is a questionable place to buy stuff.
    Around here, it is just one more store.

You may want to go by there also and see what they have.

For the bombachas, the easiest is just to google that; it
    will lead to some places offering them for sale. Bombachas
    are the traditional riding pants of the Argentine Gauchos.
    They fit very loosely through the leg from waist to calf
    and then are tight at the ankle. They were meant originally
    to wear when riding and working around livestock, so
    should be reasonable around a barn. Probably not as
    cheap as scrubs though.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I just purchase my yoga pants from Target, they are around 20 bucks and they have lots of stretch, I also work in surgery so I wear scrubs all day, they are the last pair of pants I want to put on after work!LOL! They do work, but certainly dont have as much stretch as my yoga pants. I have capris also, they work well too. I would not try to put any clothing under my brace as mine is a custom fitted orthotic, and that is simply defeating the purpose of having something custom made. Good luck!
    Last edited by luckyducky; May. 29, 2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling, of course...

Thanks for all the input! The jeans were not pleasant today.

And yes, this is one with big metal stays and hinges and will ruin a pair of breeches. I'll check out Target for the yoga pants. And maybe the scrubs for the soon to be coming 100 degree days. Kohls might be a good place to check out the maternity pants.

When I had just the support brace I limited myself to two pairs of breeches so I wouldn't ruin the rest, but this one is just too big and bulky. Thanks for all the advice!
    www.specialhorses.org

I had to wear a big hinged knee brace a couple summers ago also. At first I wasn't riding at all, so I just wore it over a pair of jeans. When I got to the point of being able to ride, I'd wear the brace over my breeches (never had any slipping issues- especially if you have some full seat breeches, the brace should stay in place just fine) and then I'd take the brace off to ride. The hinge on mine was huge, I can't imagine how it would have felt in the saddle- or the damage it would have done to the leather!

The biggest issue I had was getting a rash under my jeans. It was HOT and I'd sweat quite a bit under the brace/jeans which resulted in an itchy and painful rash. I found that liberally applying some baby-powder on my knee before putting on my jeans and brace was helpful, and then I'd apply some Cortizone cream in the evening if the rash was there.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever