The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What keeps a wooden roller coaster on it's track?

Question is exactly that. My 7 year old daughter and I went to an amusement park today and she had me go on the Twister twice. The fact I'm hundreds of feet in the air twisting on a WOODEN roller coaster at high speeds just gets me to thinking...what is holding us on the track?
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

I don't know the answer, but I see you are in Pennsylvania..did you by chance go to Kennywood and ride the Thunderbolt? I have great memories of the Thunderbolt as a kid!

LOL, the same thing that keeps a metal one on the rails.
    It's been a while since I saw a documentary on roller coasters, but in general speaking wooden ones don't run as fast as metal ones. The bumping is part of the sensation etc...

Man, it's been a lifetime since I road a roller coaster...The Grizzly in Kings Dominion Virginia....(I was scared to death and rode that SOB twice....)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    I don't know the answer, but I see you are in Pennsylvania..did you by chance go to Kennywood and ride the Thunderbolt? I have great memories of the Thunderbolt as a kid!
    No we are in Central NE PA and went to Knoebels, it's a FREE to park, FREE to get in park. You can get a hand stamp or buy ticket. Two awesome wooden roller coasters, the Phoenix and the Twister, we did both, but the Twister well it twists and that is not right. It only cost 2.25 to ride!
    www.frostyoaks.com

I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

LOL, I looked at the pictures, that thing looks insane!

But within the realm of normal...

no, wait, that did not come out right....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post
    ^ That is what I was afraid of.
    www.frostyoaks.com

More reliable than human intervention!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

See http://www.offroaders.com/Destinatio...s/Twister.html that top turn we are going to the right on it and we are SO HIGH and going VERY fast. My little girl just giggles with her hands up. I'm laughing too, but also reminding myself "no one has died on this....YET".

Here is a video of it, it's just. not. right! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Q1zWK0JCc
    www.frostyoaks.com

I don't know, I'm not sure I'd want to know. It seems less frightening not thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    Don't forget the Racer and the Jack Rabbit! When Coth member EverAfterFarm comes home to visit, we always try to go to Kennywood. Last time we went, I think we rode the Thunderbolt three times.

Most wooden coasters use a three wheel design that keeps the cars on the tracks...

I always thought they had an idler wheel on the bottom, but you know, I've never looked. I loved the Dipper at Santa Cruz myself.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I think they do have a wheel on the bottom to hold it on. I know the metal ones do, but I think the wood ones have the same idea

According to Wikipedia , wooden roller coaster trains have three wheels on each side. One on top, one on the side, and one underneath that keeps the car from flying off the track. I think this is the same design as steel coasters, it's just that the wooden tracks are embedded like train tracks, while you can see the rails on the steel coasters and easily see how the three wheels can wrap around them.

And, oh, how I love Knoebel's! I grew up in eastern PA, and every 4th of July my extended family would camp there, and we would get 3 days of fun. Swimming in the big pool with the water slides, and, of course, the amusement park. Phoenix is still my favorite of their coasters, though Twister is wicked. And the carousel is fantastic. Every year I hoped I was big enough to ride on the outside and grab the brass ring, so it was a big deal when I finally did it! And the retro-awesome bumper cars that can give you whiplash!

I'm old enough that I remember the park before they relocated Phoenix there. The main roller coaster back then was a wicked flying mouse named the "JetStar". That thing didn't even have seatbelts! We just hung on and screamed.

Thanks for allowing me to reminisce!

No answer on how, but heres a youtube video of Son of the Beast. Was the only wooden roller coaster with a loop. The loop has since been taken out, and the ride is closed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gpV0Ekc6V0
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

I never really thought about it. I've been on 2 wooden roller coasters. The Predator at Darien Lake in NY, which I HATED. It was so bumpy & uncomfortable, I thought I was going to get whiplash. Never riding that again...

The Jack Rabbit at Seabreeze in NY though, I loved! I went last summer with friends, and since the park was quiet that day, we kept riding it, and then getting right back in the short line. Loved it.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

At the old Elitches in Denver I rode the iconic Mister Twister - so much fun! Horrible for your body but great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsets View Post
    According to Wikipedia , wooden roller coaster trains have three wheels on each side. One on top, one on the side, and one underneath that keeps the car from flying off the track. I think this is the same design as steel coasters, it's just that the wooden tracks are embedded like train tracks, while you can see the rails on the steel coasters and easily see how the three wheels can wrap around them.
    Yup, sometimes there are multiples of the 3 wheels and sometimes they are on a top rail for those rides that hang below one. It's called a bogie (like the golf term for 1 over) cluster at alot of the parks-may be hard to see but it is there. The new rides have some pretty advanced materials and bearings to get the speed for todays rides.

Hey I used to work on a few coasters for Disney, not that big a geek. Plus I live within sight of Kings Island so have kept a little interest in such things.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I find roller coasters fascinating and I rode my fair share of them when I was younger. I wont get on them now - too afraid of heights. I found this on-line article which really goes into detail. It mentions Knoebels was purchased and moved to where it is now. It goes into good detail on why roller coasters don't fly off tracks. http://www.themedattraction.com/coaster.htm
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.