The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thought I wanted to retire early, but maybe I don't

Pros and cons of early retirement? I love my job, but don't need to work. Pay and benefits are great. 10 minute commute from my house to work. Nice co-workers. 15 minutes from work to the barn. Flexible work schedule to accomodate horse shows. Great boss. Five weeks of paid vacation.

Thought I'd retire in November of 2010. Didn't. I think my fear is that I'll become a servant at home. DH doesn't share my appreciation of a clean house and beautifully mowed fields. We've discussed this, but he's not willing to change. DH is semi-retired. He goes to the office two days a week. On his non-work days, he should do some laundry, dishes, grocery shopping and mowing, but that doesn't happen. He finds other things to do, like facebook and reading a book. Must be nice not to be bothered by the dirty dishes, piles of laundry and overgrown lawn.

My gut feeling is that until I fix the home situation, I'll be happier working.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Don't retire!

From your post it seems obvious (to an outsider) that work=happiness, home=frustration and resentment.

blazn is right (as are you, OP).

It sounds like work is objectively great....at least compared to what I read/hear other folks saying about their jobs.

But this job doesn't have to be your solution. If DH is just will.not.change, then make your post-work life just as rich and full as your working one. I promise you, you can fill it up with things that are compelling and satisfying to you. What about looking around for those opportunities now?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat