The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Doggie Swimming?

So our very generous neighbors have invited us to bring our puppy swimming in their pool. They have a LabraDoodle and we have a Mini Poodle. The dogs have a blast just playing in the yard. So we took our puppy, Bailey, to a local doggie pool, just to see what she would do. We put a life jacket on her, and she panic swimmed for a while but twards the end she figured it out. The "life guard" helped us and she was the only one in the pool. Our neighbors have just a regular chlorine pool. When we take Bailey over there, I am planning on getting in the pool with her and just kind of helping her. She will wear her life jacket!

**she is not a farm dog. My sister has horrible alergies, so Bailey does not go near the barn.**

My question, who takes their dog swimming? How often? Do they like it?

Thanks!

Swimming is great exercise for them!!

Glad to hear you make her wear a life jacket too.
    Be sure she isn't swallowing a lot of water if she swimming for a long time. She can get water toxicity (for real, not kidding). Make her take breaks.

of course, if she doesn't like it, don't force it.

more free and helpful advice from a vet on the forum.

(just a plug for Meghan)

but it's true. On Off Course, there was a JRT thread (?) about water toxicity.....something I never knew but am grateful for the knowledge now!

We take our dogs to the PA state gamelands at least weekly where they swim or wade (depending on the dog). It's a great way to keep your dog cool on hot days and it's good excercise.

Just make sure to hose your dog down with fresh water after a swim in a chlorinated pool. Some folks over do the chemicals in the water and it can irritate your dogs skin. Other than that have a blast swimming with your dog! I have setters, unfortunately they sink hahaha! I have never owned one that would want to get into the water. They would stand and watch our retrievers have a ball in the lake and never get their precious little toes wet, bunch of big sissies!!

Also I would pop a dry cotton ball into each ear to avoid getting water in them.
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

We're taking the dogs swimming in Lake MI tomorrow! LOL

We have a lab (my guy..8YO and he's done lots of pool swimming too) and a standard poodle--have yet to see him swim but he's only 9mos.

We have a dog park nearby that has a lake....almost all dogs I've seen like to at least get in the water.

My guy? I used to take him out on the boat. We had a two bedroom full LQ boat and we'd be out for days and he loved to go swim.

Just take it easy!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

It probably won't be too much of an issue since your neighbors' dogs know the program, but in a swimming pool remember that the dog has to learn how to get out. Before they learn where the stairs are, they will just swim over to the wall and try to get out and they can drown that way. Supervise closely at first, and show them where the stairs are.
    Other than that, I think it is great exercise. Mine swim in a pool all of the time. It's perfect in hot weather - especially when it is humid all of the time. They love it, too. I have to force mine to take breaks because they get so into it.

I've noticed that really muscular dogs with low bodyfat seem to struggle with swimming - something to keep in mind perhaps. It's not that they don't want to, necessarily, it's the lack of buoyancy.

Doggie life jackets are great, especially for dogs who go boating. We got my cocker one after Dad's dog fell off the back of the houseboat (in March. My fully-clothed dad had to jump in and save him - dog could not swim).

Both my dogs are swimming fools. Big Fuzzy Dog is part golden/part collie, and his retriever side is WAY dominant for the swimming gene. BFD taught Tribble Corgi to swim when she was a puppy, and she wades right in and paddles around. She's very funny to watch - she floats around but has a hard time turning because she's so long. Can't keep them out of the water!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Brookes View Post
    Just make sure to hose your dog down with fresh water after a swim in a chlorinated pool. Some folks over do the chemicals in the water and it can irritate your dogs skin. Other than that have a blast swimming with your dog!

Also I would pop a dry cotton ball into each ear to avoid getting water in them.
    This

My terrier swims every night....nothing she enjoys more.

Here she is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iKfyZFPdXM

She would fetch until she died.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Sisu, loved watching your terrier fetching in the water!
    We used to have a yellow lab who'd do the same, but for tennis balls. She'd launch herself too, but made a much bigger splash!

My mini poodles are not fond of swimming, though. They can swim, but prefer not to. Only my first mini poodle was a willing swimmer. Don't know if the part about poodles having been bred for water is actually true - or the trait has been lost over the years...