The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default B12 injection ?'s - Neuropathy - and weight loss?

I have been researching B12 injections in regards to neuropathy. Confused. Have read that B12 is helpful in regards to neuropathy - also read where it can make it worse? Anyone know/have experience with this? I have N and so does a friend of mine. Neither of us want to take the usually recommended drugs like Neurontin.

Have also read that B12 injections are given to help lose weight loss.

I give myself the injections a couple of times a week - for other/different reasons.
    Perhaps it helps with N - and I have lost weight, but not sure if I can attribute the weight loss to B12. (FWIW I have really lost weight since starting IVIG - but don't think that IVIG is supposed to do that). (IVIG is infusion of donated Immunoglobulin G for those whose bodies don't make enough).
    TIA.

B-12 injections help with my neuropathy, but in my case, the neuropathy is a result of pernicious anemia. I can't digest vitamin B-12, so my levels get low, and then generally I start to get tingling and lose feeling in my toes. Particularly my left toes, for whatever reason. And I only get injections about once a month unless my levels are low, which I have a blood test for every year at my annual physical.

And I struggle with my weight no matter where my B-12 levels are at, haven't noticed any difference when it's low or high.

Topamax gave me absolutely unbearable painful neuropathy when I tried it for migranes, but I've heard it helps some people with their neurological pain, so it seems conceivable that other medications or supplements could also work both ways.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    B-12 injections help with my neuropathy, but in my case, the neuropathy is a result of pernicious anemia. I can't digest vitamin B-12, so my levels get low, and then generally I start to get tingling and lose feeling in my toes. Particularly my left toes, for whatever reason.
    Ditto this. I do shots 2-4 times a month depending on where my levels are at. I can always tell when they are off because I get horrible neuropathy in my legs... like Wayside the left is more affected.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.