The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default David Mullinix Photography?!?!?!?!

I'm writing this to see if any others are having a similar experience with this photographer.

Right after the Poplar Place Horse Trials in March, I placed an order for several photos by Mullinix photography, totaling about $80. On the order conformation, it said the photos would be arriving in two to three weeks.

So, two months later and STILL NO PHOTOS!!! I have called his phone number multiple times (Left messages on the first couple tries but after that his voice mail said it had reached full), sent emails, etc... But he hasn't returned any of my calls or emails.

Is anyone else having these problems?? I feel like I've been scammed after paying him eighty dollars for no photos, and what's more is that my address has now changed as I moved back north from a winter in Florida...

AHH so frustrated and not sure what to do....

I'd give them a call to check on your order because I already got mine from the May Poplar.

Sounds like something may have gone wrong. Not typical for them. Have you checked to see if it is at your old address?

I got mine from the March horse show in May. Looong time to wait if you ask me.

I only bought one (at $25 bucks a pop for a 4 x 6 plus $7 in shipping....NOT cheap). It arrived off center from cropping and slightly blurry.

I emailed him immediately. Got no response.

Will never buy from them again, even if it's my first Advanced or something.

Oh so VERY typical of Mullinix. I had the same experience in September, as did two other people I know, their CDs just never showed up. Finally in JANUARY I had to call repetitively every day until I got ahold of David -- who didn't apologize and just said "oh ok I'll get that processed." He hadn't even PROCESSED the order in three months.

When I was there in March, I asked the woman there about having pics printed on site, due to that issue. She made some lousy excuse about the post office messing up all the orders. Ok, right...

And guess what? I haven't recieved my pictures from March.

I'm so done with ever ordering pictures from them.

Hmmmm... Maybe I do need to start hounding them. I reluctantly bought the CD from Poplar (early May) for my stallion. I still haven't gotten the CD and it has been just over 2 weeks since I ordered. Was going to give it another couple of days but maybe I'll start now... sigh. Why does Poplar use him when there are other photogs in the area that are as good/better and have better customer service?
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    Why does Poplar use him when there are other photogs in the area that are as good/better and have better customer service?
    Perhaps the venue is not aware of the customer service issues. I think if everyone who is having/had trouble with this vendor would politely contact the organizer and let them know what is going on, two things might happen..1. the organizer might contact the vendor on your behalf and/or 2. the organizer might choose a different vendor for future events.

I suggest also if you see that this photographer is set to be a vendor at a different event, you contact that event and give them a heads up about your experiences.

I ordered the May Poplar CD and he said it would take up to 2 weeks for me to get the CD. It arrived in just under 3, but given others' experiences, this seems pretty good. There was one problem in that I wanted the awards ceremony on the CD, and both spoke to him at the show and wrote the request with division info and my placing on my order form-- but the CD arrived without it. I have sent an email thru the website asking for another CD with those photos on it. Will let you know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post

Will never buy from them again, even if it's my first Advanced or something.
    I am calling (friendly) BS on this: When it's your first advanced, you'll buy anything you can get your hands on, even if it's fuzzy and the frame is dominated by the photographer's thumb.

(Heck, it's possible that when I did my first advanced, I even printed out the COTH thread on that show, where a few people had said nice things about our round, and stuck that in his scrapbook. And -- not sayin' I actually did that -- it's possible it still makes me smile when I come across it going through that old album looking for a certain picture.)
    I evented just for the Halibut.

I had the same problem with this photographer a couple of years ago (?) I can't remember for sure if I even got the photos. But I am sure they cashed my check.
    For this many people to have problems with him, the show organizers in his area definitely need to be alerted.

Thumbs down same problems here

I ordered ONE print from the March Poplar and still haven't received it. I guess I can complain at the June one. The video company that was at Poplar in March (CatchRide) also did a really crummy job! They missed a bunch of my fences, and then said they couldn't get them all???! That's the point of paying for a video, isn't it? Still haven't received my refund.

On the flip side, I ordered a video of all 3 phases (RNS) as well as a photo disc (hoofclix) from Chatt Hills last weekend, and I already have both!

Probably the best plan of action would be to let Donna Stegman know, maybe they'd let some other companies in.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by GAEventer View Post
    The video company that was at Poplar in March (CatchRide) also did a really crummy job! They missed a bunch of my fences, and then said they couldn't get them all???! That's the point of paying for a video, isn't it? Still haven't received my refund.

Ok, I have to stick up for CatchRide a bit on this one. Poplar was their only bad show this season. This is their first year, and they are still working out the kinks. The demand ended up being WAY more than they thought it would be and their show schedule went from conservative to a LOT more shows than they originally planned. Also, at every other show they were at, they got a LOT more fences than they did at Poplar, but the terrain of Poplar would require many more videographers than other venues. At Rocking Horse, Ocala, The Fork, and Holly Hill, they taped most of the XC course and did an excellent job.

I will give you that they didn't do the best job at Poplar, but really, the terrain is so hilly that it ends up being ridiculously expensive to pay enough people to get most of the course. You'd have to have someone at every jump basically!

I have to add that I haven't had the most awesome experiences with RNS in the past...while their videos are good, they ALWAYS seem to lose battery during some part of one of my rides and don't get all the fences EITHER. And it takes FOREVER to get their DVD, or at least it has in the past. Oh, and they are at so few shows that it makes it hard to consistently buy.

I purchased a photo from Mullinix at the Sept 2010 Poplar and never received it. Emailed and called repeatedly. Told their girl the problem at the March Poplar and she printed the picture for me. Hoofclix charges $5 less for their photos and uses high quality trademarked paper. When I put the Mullinax photos next to the Hoofclix ones, there is a huge difference in quality not only in the quality of the print itself which will last a lot longer and hold its color, but also in the clarity and for 20% less money. This is a no brainer and I will not buy from Mullinax again.

I ordered a shot from him at the show and needed it by the next Saturday for a present, it was in my mailbox on Tuesday after the show.

Default Simila rstory here...

Last September we ordered a CD of a horse's first CIC2*...it took 3 months to get the CD (after call after call after call...). Pictures were great, but again it took 3 months to get them.

Hoofclix has set the Gold standard...
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Those of you who have had bad customer service: PLEASE email Donna at Poplar about this. She and Gary are always interested in "customer feedback", and take your comments (positive and negative) seriously. I believe that Mullinex has a contract for this year there, but next year may be up for grabs.

(While I like Dave and Michele personally, I was irked at having to buy the CD which had less than 10 photos on it).

So has anyone received their photos yet? I have sent another email to the photog and cc'd Donna and actually pointed them to this thread as it seems to be a recurring theme. It is 4 weeks as of today that I still don't have my photos, nor have I gotten a response back via email asking if my order has been processed.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!