The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What a great post Jaideux!

I inherited a cat a month before I moved. The owner had been sick a long time before I got her. She hadn't been to a vet in 3 years. She cowered in a closet at the old house for the first month.
    During the weekend of the move I sent her to the vets to be boarded and get shots. I really really stressed to them I wanted her tranq'd that she was feral, would bite, scratch etc... Stupid vet decided it would be fine to not tranq her. She ripped him up good. Note on cage was that owners would need to tranfer to crate at pick-up time. They loaned us animal handler gloves.
    She spent the next month cowering in the closet at the new house. I would sit there with a book and throw pounce at her. I would wear either a leather work glove or a welding glove and just leave my hand near her but not pet her and not react when she would beat on my hand.
    Poor cat came with the name Spider. We called her Psycho Kitty for the first 2 months.
    Suddenly one day I am in there reading, she comes out and starts stuffing her head in my hand absolutely demanding attentiion. She wanted to make up for 2 months of no attention NOW. I made my DH get out of bed and go sit on the floor and she did the same thing with him. GIVE ME ATTENTION NOW, NOW, NOW.
    She is now named Jasmine/Jazz and loves DH and I but disappears when anybody else is around.

I found sitting there reading and crowding their space a little bit and giving yummy treats works well. I normally sit so that I am close enough they would prefer me a little further away not not close enough to make them want to run to another hiding spot in the room.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Hell, if you want a cat to come out of hiding, start doing your taxes, balancing your checkbook, or reading the paper. She'll be sitting in front of you so fast, you won't even know where she came from

Thanks for taking in this old girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

You are wonderful to give the kitty a home.

Lots of shelters around here are very careful about adopting out black cats. It isn't because people don't like black cats, it's for the kitties' sake. Especially in October.

I agree about giving her time.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I LOVE all of your posts and so appreciate your help. I'm touched that so many of you genuinely want to help me help this kitty, who goes by the name CeCe.

Unfortunately, I had to go against some advice when I was informed she had stitches in her paw that needed to be checked! Damn. That meant I had to find her secret hiding place and pick her up to find the stitches since I didn't even know what paw it was. She wasn't too keen at first, but I did sit down with her and she settled nicely and quietly into my lap for a few minutes, which was nice. It seemed she was enjoying having her head gently scritched. Of course she did want to go back into hiding, so I let her go.

She has now found another hiding place, so I can leave her alone and work on ignoring/befriending her. I don't know when the stitches have to come out, but I'm hoping they can stay in for a bit so I don't have to disrupt her again.

She is coming out at nite to eat, drink and use her litter box, so at least I know she is feeling a bit better.

Thank you all again!
    Last edited by jenm; Jun. 2, 2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

stitches for spaying usually stay in for 10 days.
    I think after 2 weeks you are risking them to grow in.

Since she is not feral, just uprooted, she should be fine. Minor setbacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Thanks Alagirl. It's been 7 days for her so I'm guessing I will have no choice but to traumatize her once again by taking her to the vet to get the stitches out.

Why don't they just use the kind that disolve? <small rant>
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Thanks Alagirl. It's been 7 days for her so I'm guessing I will have no choice but to traumatize her once again by taking her to the vet to get the stitches out.

Why don't they just use the kind that disolve? <small rant>

I am a cat torturer! I do sometimes force snuggle less than compliant kitties.
    Got my Mom's unsnuggly Tom to hold still for the quick scratch behind the ears. But you gotta be good at reading kitty, or you need a blood transfusion! (their softest fur is right behind the ears...Can't help but bury my nose in there)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.