The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Things to do~ while in Philly?

Looking for a few good Philly destinations? Eateries, Museums & Outings for the family. We don't mind driving around. Thanks for any input.

I live about 2 hours from Philly and hubby and I got down a few times a year to stock up on "good eats," so I have some favorite foodie spots... The Italian Market (S. 9th St. in the vacinity of Christian St., stretches for a few blocks) is not to be missed, for cheeses, meats, fresh veggies, etc. Expect "authentic," if not clean/neat/tidy, lol... Best hoagies and fresh bread are at Sarcone's Deli (734 S. 9th St.; their bakery is a few storefronts down the street). Best Italian pastries, cannoli, and cookies are at Termini Bros. (1523 S. 8th St.)-- we usually buy a few pounds of amaretti cookies and put them in the freezer. Tomato pie at Iannelli's (1155 E. Passyunk Ave.) is also excellent.

Other than food and the obvious (the big museums), check out the Mutter Museum (19 S. 22nd St) for a huge collection of medical oddities. Eastern State Penitentiary (2027 Fairmount Ave.) is also interesting.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

The Devon horse show is going on this weekend. It's not a bad drive from downtown (maybe half an hour) and if the family is at all horsey, it's a great day out!

Devon Horse Show! The Franklin Institute is like an interactive museum and it's a ton of fun for everyone. The Philadelphia Zoo's pretty good as well.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

You MUST go get a cheesesteak at Jim's, on South Street (4th and South). Be ready to order when you get to the counter and don't ask for anything funny. Just ask for a "steak with Whiz"

Historic Area - the Bell, Independence Hall, and the whole general area of Independence Park is kinda the core "Philadelphia" experience, aka, How Is This City Different From Pittsburgh? I recommend it, though at this time of year there's a definite mob of school groups swarming all over the place. The much fought-over slavery exhibit, The President's House, is literally at the door of the Liberty Bell building, and rather moving.

Foodwise - soft pretzels are far kinder to the stomach than cheesesteaks, and more affordable (around .50). They should have a briny crust, but not be rock hard; ones at food carts are usually awful. Beware buying from any source that has each sad pretzel pre-wrapped in plastic. The best source is generally small local stores with a bin near the register. The appropriate thing to do is trace each liberally with mild yellow mustard. Spicy is acceptable, but barely.

There's the Polish Museum, which is a tiny, rarely mentioned free museum on Walnut around 4th, and a pleasant place to cool down and relax a moment while in the area. Similarly, the Portrait Gallery at Chestnut between 4th and 5th (in the ornate Greek-style Second Bank, is free and a/c'd.

If you have smaller kids, you might like Franklin Square. It's just past the Independence Park area to the north, and has a carousel, fountain, playground, miniature golf, etc. Very new and snazzy.

If you're into medical stuff, DEFINITELY check out the Mutter Museum! (myoo-ter) It is a very historical collection of medical knowledge, instruments, and tissue samples. Boyfriend and I are medical people, and we could have spent all day there exploring all the things crammed into that space. It was fascinating to see what "cutting edge" medicine looked like 100+ years ago.

If you're not into medical stuff, physical specimens, etc, stay away from it!! I can easily see it being overwhelming and horrifying to others

One thing I would not recommend is getting lost in the Philly ghetto. We stayed on our trolley bus one stop too long and it went from a really nice, safe neighborhood to obvious crack houses, boarded up shanties, and thugs in just one stop. I have rarely been more thankful to have my 6'4", 300lbs boyfriend by my side. And, as an urban paramedic, he knew exactly the environment we were in, so he hustled us right out of there, no stopping at Go, no collecting $200.

The Liberty Bell is very moving. Also, we toured Independence Hall and had a talk by I think they called him a Park Ranger. He was excellent. About 50ish, very skinny, tall Black man. Excellent speaker, you could tell he was honored to be doing this job. I really enjoyed him.

I'll be in Philly in early August. These are great suggestions. I'm also planning to run to the museum campus and go up the "Rocky" steps. How is the museum of art there?

The Art Museum is spectacular. There's too much to see in one visit, so it's a good idea to check the website and decide in advance what you're interested in.

There are many other good museums in and around Philadelphia. The Penn Museum of Archaeology is not far from the Phila. Art Museum.

You HAVE to see the Mummers Museum! http://www.mummersmuseum.com/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    You MUST go get a cheesesteak at Jim's, on South Street (4th and South). Be ready to order when you get to the counter and don't ask for anything funny. Just ask for a "steak with Whiz"
    Mmmmm . . . cheesesteaks at Jim's are one of my favorite parts of visiting Philly.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Ok, I have to ask...what's a Mummer? I even went to the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia412 View Post
    Mmmmm . . . cheesesteaks at Jim's are one of my favorite parts of visiting Philly.
    And one of the five things I miss the most about no longer living there

Quote Originally Posted by snbess View Post
    Good question I saw them in person when I lived there and STILL don't know what a mummer is!

Quote Originally Posted by snbess View Post
    Try reading this:

http://phillymummers.com/history.htm

The New Year's Day Mummers Parade is spectacular.

If you are into dive bars you have to go to Dirty Franks.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dirty-franks-bar-philadelphia

Love the Mutter and Penn's Archeology Museum. There is also a Rodin Museum on the Parkway near the Art Museum.

Memorial Hall is a grand old building. They moved the Please Touch Museum there a few years ago so if you have kids that would be worth a visit.

A Mummer is a heterosexual man who on the coldest day of the year clothes himself in spangles and feathers, picks up a banjo and dances down the street.

Philadelphia has some issues.

Talking

Question is...what is there NOT to do in Philly?!!!!!

*The art museum

*Your typical tourist attractions (if you're in to that kind of dull thing)

*Check out Festival Pier

*Tons of Clubs

*One of the GREATEST MUSIC SCENES!!! Check out Jambase.com in case theres some good shows you'd wanna hit up while you're there

*Start walking around town, see where you end up, check out places that draw you in, meet some people, and be open to whatever awesome possibilitys come your way!!
    I used to live 45 min from Philly and would go there and do that all the time and ended up going on tour with Phish and from there, on to Sound Tribe Sector 9!!! It was great!

Outside of town, but I was really glad I got to the Valley Forge Historical Park. It was very interesting!

This article has more suggestions if you like history:
    http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes....history&st=cse

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    A Mummer is a heterosexual man who on the coldest day of the year clothes himself in spangles and feathers, picks up a banjo and dances down the street.

Philadelphia has some issues.
    I was trying to figure out what to say......this captures it perfectly!!!