The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rain, Rain Go Away

Ugg, what is up with the weather??!!!

Here in NE Ohio I think we've had about 6 nice days in the last three months, otherwise it went from melting snow straight to downpoor rain. My wonderful plans to build a garden are gone - the area is still underwater! Worse the fiance is worried that the hay fields (in our case like 10 acres) are not going to get hayed in time!!! The majority of the poor farmers I drive by still have not even planted corn and still many can't even get onto fields to plow!!!

I'm deathly scared to see next year's prices on grain and hay!

AHHHHH!!!!

Seriously!

We have been in a pattern of one gorgeous day followed by a week of steady rain.

The hay is up and ready to be mowed, but who knows when it will be dry enough? I can at least console myself that this year's first cutting will be nutritionally nearly worthless, which is ideal for my easy keepers.
    Click here before you buy.

Please send it to Florida, never seen it so dry here, it is terrible. 2 soaking rains in the last 45 days or so maybe even 60. Its miserable.

We had I think 16 days of rain, pouring rain, monsoon rain, etc. Wednesday the sun popped out and I felt like a mole...all squinty. And 20 minutes later all the insects popped out. I looked like a walking fly strip.

We had sunny decent weather the next two days and although weather.com and noaa.org stated 10 days of (much needed) clear sunny days they changed it at some point after 11 pm last night and 6 am this morning to 2 cloudy overcast drizzly days and then a day of storms for Monday.

*Just* when the hay needs to come in here! Freaking fruitbats! If we go another week or two then first cut is going to be stemmy as heck and I feed mainly first cut.

I'm hoping it just stays foggy and stops drizzling here, I need to pick up hay today.

And of course we have the world's wettest spring...after seven years of waiting I'm finally having a riding ring put in this year. I held off so long due to the weather this year.

Ugh, wish I could send FL the weather. It's been hotter than usual down there too, hasn't it? My MIL lives there and has been saying for over a month now that the temps were well into the 90s and humid as heck already. We've had cooler than usual up here so far. Not complaining about the cooler weather though, I'm not a huge fan of steamy hot.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

You can send some my way. I cannot believe how dry we are here in central Georgia. I have actually had to buy hay! I NEVER have to buy hay in May!! We are usually knee deep in pasture right now.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

PLEASE send it down here...we had storms all afternoon and still NO RAIN
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

TrakGeorge and all my other NE Ohioans. The other day I had to have my hubby come bail me out of the county jail here in Medina. I had finally gone postal and shot Dick Goddard in the grocery store. Damn old weather man had it coming....

On a good note, I did take the kids to a little local show and actually got some sun burn on me. Not a horse show without a little skin blistering. Another day of showing tomorrow so I hope the rain holds off.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Bleh... we've had a record amount of rain this month! I want to ride outside
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Cold, windy (wearing Carhart jacket today!!), rain (and snow....AGAIN...about 500 feet off the valley floor today. This cold blast will cause more problems in tornado alley when it hits the midwest and SE...be prepared. First cutting hay is normally this weekend/week...may be mid June or even first of July at this rate...alfalfa likes HOT to grow.

Update....Snow on the ground this morning. Not much, just enough to be slightly crunchy underfoot and looks more like a heavy frost....but the mountains are white clear to the base. Enough already.
    Last edited by coloredcowhorse; May. 29, 2011 at 08:32 AM.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Rain Rain GO Away from Ohio
    Come to Texas and Stay for the Day!
    I've washed the cars
    Sprinkled the grass
    Still not a drop!
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

[QUOTE=winfieldfarm;5631071]TrakGeorge and all my other NE Ohioans. The other day I had to have my hubby come bail me out of the county jail here in Medina. I had finally gone postal and shot Dick Goddard in the grocery store. Damn old weather man had it coming....QUOTE]

LOL!!! I looked at the weather report for this coming week. It is so sad when no one has the same report! One website just had chance of rain all this week, while another had sunny and another thunderstorms. I think the poor reporters up here are scared to put anything.

I so wish we could send this rain to the south. This weather is so messed up this year.

It's no better north of the border. Another inch of the wet crap fell Friday and it piddled off and on all day yesterday and looks like it's going to do the same very soon this morning. This is on top of the 2.2" that fell last weekend, and it hadn't dried out at all when it started on Friday. Forecast for the coming week? Rain Monday (up to an inch), Tuesday (half that), Wednesday will bring partly cloudy, followed by more rain Thursday through Saturday. I can't get out of my yard again, and the trip to the barn is, well, interesting.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Woke up this morning and realized it had rained overnight; good grief, enough already! I'm in NE Ohio as well and it has been WEEKS since the ground was completely dry, and that only lasted maybe a day. The pastures are a mess and I shudder to think what hay prices are going to be next year. Ouch.

Winfield Farm, I LOL'ed over your removal of Dick Goddard; I think Andre Bernier needs to be considered as well.
    Sue
    The horse I bet on was so slow, the jockey kept a diary of the trip.
    Henny Youngman

I'm also in NE Ohio but things are finally drying up here. I think I'll probably get hay delivered this week and the forecast says sun and HOT. I'm not complaining as long as it doesn't stay in the 90s for the rest of the summer. I may be a bit farther east and south than some of you. It seems that a lot of the storms have gone around us for the past week. I'd love to send some of the rain down south to those who really need it.

Send it to North GA too while you're at it. We were lucky, got enough rain earlier in the year to make for a great first cutting, but the ground is so dry and the grass so crunchy now, that very well may be all we get.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by imaginique View Post
    I'm also in NE Ohio but things are finally drying up here. I think I'll probably get hay delivered this week and the forecast says sun and HOT. I'm not complaining as long as it doesn't stay in the 90s for the rest of the summer. I may be a bit farther east and south than some of you. It seems that a lot of the storms have gone around us for the past week. I'd love to send some of the rain down south to those who really need it.
    Where are your fields? The Future TG fields are located outside of youngstown and last we checked the hay is ready to go, but the fields are flooded. Can't image what they would be like if we hadn't clean some of the drainage ditches last year. Weather.com actually reports sun all week, but they said that for the weekend and yeah it was sunny, the majority of the time, but it also rained too.

We are going to go put the dual tires on the tractor in hopes that it stays nice and we actually can cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by leilatigress View Post
    Rain Rain GO Away from Ohio
    Come to Texas and Stay for the Day!
    I've washed the cars
    Sprinkled the grass
    Still not a drop!
    Have done all of the above plus the naked rain dance We've gotten about 10 minutes of rain in my area. Please let it rain here.

I'm south of Y'town. Hay man had hay down early last week but I think it may have been rained on. I was expecting him to call today but maybe tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by TrakGeorge View Post
    Ugg, what is up with the weather??!!!

Here in NE Ohio I think we've had about 6 nice days in the last three months, otherwise it went from melting snow straight to downpoor rain. My wonderful plans to build a garden are gone - the area is still underwater! Worse the fiance is worried that the hay fields (in our case like 10 acres) are not going to get hayed in time!!! The majority of the poor farmers I drive by still have not even planted corn and still many can't even get onto fields to plow!!!

I'm deathly scared to see next year's prices on grain and hay!

AHHHHH!!!!
    PLEASE, PLEASE send all that water down my way!!!!! It hasn't rained measurably in MONTHS down here... when riding in the front pasture (no arena) I have to avoid the 2 - 6" cracks in the ground.

Leilatigress, I've washed my car weekly, done the rain dance almost daily, and it still hasn't helped! When the opened the Mississippi dam spillways, I was really wishing they had a way to send that water over this-away... I mean, this is TX, you can pipeline oil, why not water?!!?
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com