The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Canine joint supplement questions

My mom's dog is a 10 yr old malamute who is exhibiting stiffness and has been pretty crotchety lately... I think due to joint stiffness.

I have done some searching on here but couldn't find an answer to a couple questions....

1. There are several active ingredients in most supplements (glucosamine, chondriotin, ha, msm, some combo thereof), but I can't find any clarity on which to use for just general stiffness vs other types of pain or injury, or is it best to just chuck all of the Mede at the problem and see what sticks?

2. What are the injectable options? I know of adequan... Is it an IM injection like for horses (something we could do at home) and would there possibly be a compounded formula like there is for horses of a similar drug to try first? I know my mom won't spend the kind of money that horse adequan costs. How much does canine adequan run?

Thanks!

I can't help with the oral joint supplement questions, but I'm using Adequan for my dog and it's something I can easily give him at home. The directions say to give the injection IM, but I've been doing it subcutaneously for my dog which has been much easier for both of us.

I can't remember the exact cost, but I think it's around $45 a bottle and I get 3 injections out of that (for a 75 lb dog) obviously the amount of injections you'll be able to get per bottle will depend on the size of the dog. I just switched to the Equine version instead of the Canine and it is a little bit cheaper- might be worth asking your vet if there is a price difference.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

For oral supps, I know there is cosequin is available for dogs (but I believe it is pricey- more than adequan per month IIRC).

Adequan is available, and I believe it's quite a bit cheaper per dose for the dogs than for the horses (I think my vet charged around $20/dose in the clinic?, so Lone's calculation is spot on I think). I have heard vets say you could give it subcutaneously just fine, so that may be a good option.

FWIW, I would almost always do a systemic product approved by the FDA to be effective (such as Adequan) over an oral supplement (even something with a track record like cosequin).

My vet friends have been using Dasquin on their own dogs with a lot of good results. http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/vet/prod...pplements.aspx
    I don't usually put a lot of stock in glucosamine/chondroitin oral supplements since there is no definitive proof in studies that show it works, but it won't hurt to try (except your wallet!). The avocado/soybean oils is what sets it apart from Cosequin.

I would try adding omega fatty acid supplements though (fish oils) as they have been proven to reduce inflammation. I know that CVS brand has been tested for quality and is cheap -- usually 1 capsule/10 lbs of dog/day.

Adequan is great too to ask your vet about, but know that it doesn't work well if there is so much degenerative joint disease present that there is a lot of cartilage loss.

I usually focus on the glucosamine and msm along with adding fish oil since the change in fatty acid levels can impact the inflammatory cascade.

Polyglycan can be used IM-dosage I have is 1 cc per 20 pounds.

I give my dog Glyco-Flex. He's been getting it since he was 8 - we gave it to him preventatively because he is so high energy. He hadn't been stiff, but he started doing puppy spins!

At 10, he is now getting some arthritic changes in his hips. We haven't changed his glucosomine dosage at all. But we have been diligent about walking him every day. Even a 15 minutes walk makes a difference. If we skip a few days in a row, a 20 minutes walk or lots of playing outside really takes a toll on him.

So I recommend working lots of walks or play time into his schedule along with glucosomine - its kind of like having a puppy again, where you just have to make time for it.

They are also discussing the benefits of fish oil in high doses for joint inflammation. We've had multiple people at our clinic come back and tell us it really helps.

http://www.absorbine.com/products/supplements/flex-max

My big boy rottie strained his stifle as a pup. We opted not to go the surgery route because of his age at the time since bones were not even close to being done growing, it would have ended up being a series of surgeries all the way through his growing years. Either on regular canine supplements or Off supplement with his busy and very active schedule, by the end of the day he would come in pretty sore on it. I then put him on Absorbine's horse supplement Flex+Max and he is consistently comfortable and sound, through a lot of work and play. Took a little bit to get him used to the flavor, but it really has changed life for my guy.

My dog had both knees operated on when she was 6 and 7 years old. I started giving her Cosequin (the horse version b/c it was cheaper) right after her surgeries. She's going to be 13 years old this year and is still going strong (knock on wood). I take the horse version too. I put it in yogurt at half the recommended dose as for a horse b/c that's just a lot of powder.

I have had good luck with dasaquin with my dog- she had ACL surgery last year - was recomended by both the vet and the surgeon. Also heard good things about glycoflex

You'll get the best results with oral supps if you give a combination. Hylasport Canine is, IMHO, the best one out there right now. You can also try Cetyl-M- some dogs dramatically respond to, others not so much (you'll know after two or three days on it which category your dog fits into).
    Grain-free and fish oil, which all dogs should be on anyway.
    If the dog is older a daily painkiller should be considered.