The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Glass half full or half empty?

Seems I am perpetually horseless. Even when I own, horse is lame or something and I end up with nothing to ride. I'm hugely, gigantically envious of my friends who have had the same horses for years and who have logged a million miles with them. I am not sure if I've made bad choices or just had bad luck.

I really want to whine and stomp my feet and throw a big ass pity party but instead I am trying to look at things in a positive light:

I can go to shows, have fun, and enjoy being groom/spectator/cheerleader without all the stress that goes with showing.

I don't have to buy tack for a specific horse, or any horse

No guilt factor thinking of a horse standing in a stall bored if there is a week I don't have time to ride.

I'm not stuck riding anything I really HATE riding.

I'm lucky enough to have friends that will let me borrow their mounts now and again.

Help me out here... what else is great about being in a horseless state?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

You have money that you would be spending on a horse and all that horse needs in supplies and boarding, etc.

Ownership is always more expensive by far than lessons or a borrowed horse.
    You also will advance much quicker with your own horse experience and skills the more different horses you are around to handle and ride than if you only have your one or two horses.

The grass is always greener on the other side. I own three horses. Right now, I'm reclining on the couch under a blanket listening to the rain wishing I didn't have to go take care of them. The sooner it's done, the sooner I can go to bed, but I don't want to get off the couch! So at least you get to stay warm and dry in this miserable weather we're having!

Ah yes but I have a retired horse on the payroll, so......

But you are right about the toolbox. While my friends have accomplished more with their own horses in terms of showing and just general progression, I've developed a broader skill set. Can get most any horse around the ring W/T/C in a halfway decent manner.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    The grass is always greener on the other side. I own three horses. Right now, I'm reclining on the couch under a blanket listening to the rain wishing I didn't have to go take care of them. The sooner it's done, the sooner I can go to bed, but I don't want to get off the couch! So at least you get to stay warm and dry in this miserable weather we're having!
    Ah J it is definitely miserable!!!!!! When you go give the wee fuzzy baby a snuggle for me.

How's the leg feeling, btw?

All I can do is tell you my story.

I got my first horse at 20, he was a 6yo OTTB, I hadn't ridden for a yr or so and had few other issues, depression beiing one. I had him for almost 15 yrs, I had to euth hiim due to a pasture accident in Feb, he was always sound but I only rode him a doz times. I believe we will all have one horse in our lives that we will love but feel out-horsed by, he was mine.

I bought an old Appx mare (I didn't really want) a couple yrs ago to get my confidence back (long story), I rode her a lot the first couple of yrs, haven't ridden much last or so far this. Looking for my own place takes more time than I realized

Long story short, I want to have more saddle time, I have mini daydreams about my OTTB being a great jumper (great lines for it). Honestly tho, I don't regret a second sppent just loving them.

I DO get the dreams of show glory, even just wanting moore saddle time, but loving them was worth it all.

LBR

PS- I do realize that's kinda corny
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

BackBayFarms Guest

Flashy, if you're ever in our neck of the woods, you are welcome to ride anything and everything in the barn!

Thank you, BBF!!!!

LBR, not corny at all. Thanks for sharing.

I've learned that horses come and go.... and we learn from each one. I just wish I could have ONE for AWHILE! And actually get to ride it...

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Ah J it is definitely miserable!!!!!! When you go give the wee fuzzy baby a snuggle for me.

How's the leg feeling, btw?
    You need to come meet her! She's so friendly and adorable. The leg is sooo much better. The hardware came out a week and a half ago and the sutures were removed this morning. It's still sore from the incisions and the knee is a stiff from having the rod taken out, but it's a more superficial thing. I can land toe-first without pain and going up stairs is much less painful in the knee. I wasn't sure I'd feel a difference right away, but I do. Thank goodness the stupid metal is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    You need to come meet her! She's so friendly and adorable. The leg is sooo much better. The hardware came out a week and a half ago and the sutures were removed this morning. It's still sore from the incisions and the knee is a stiff from having the rod taken out, but it's a more superficial thing. I can land toe-first without pain and going up stairs is much less painful in the knee. I wasn't sure I'd feel a difference right away, but I do. Thank goodness the stupid metal is gone!
    Geezus girl you went through the wringer with that leg. Be careful, don't be getting all crazy and climbing on any horses too soon!

I definitely want to come out and meet her and the brother from another mother! Maybe when it stops monsooning...!

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Geezus girl you went through the wringer with that leg. Be careful, don't be getting all crazy and climbing on any horses too soon!

I definitely want to come out and meet her and the brother from another mother! Maybe when it stops monsooning...!
    I guess I shouldn't mention that I got on my equine pogo stick bareback with a halter and lead rope a week after surgery .

The weather is supposed to get better next week.. I hope so--nearly 7 inches of rain in one month is more than enough. Her little brother is very cute! He isn't as friendly yet, but he'll get there.