The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Persistent coat questions

My (yes, chestnut - why is that important?) new mare was at the training stable November to end of February stabled next to a horse under lights. She was not blanketed and was comfortable in the barn. She had already started shedding like crazy in the last two weeks at the barn. Prior owner said she was never blanketed and lived in paddock/run-in arrangement in the middle of Kansas; that her coat was never long but was quite heavy.

Brought her home first of March after breaking up with BO and trainer, weather was spring-y then cold. Had to blanket her when the nights were dipping down - she had no winter coat left and started shivering.

Here we are late May, and she actually looks like she has grown back some of her thick winter coat and it's hanging on tight. It's like she's a hothouse flower whose bloom was forced during the off season and she's backwards on her timing. She IS turning dark around her mouth where that ugly winter muzzle fuzz is falling off - looks like black lipstick, and there's some loose hair on her rump.

Obviously, eventually this hair will shed too, but has anyone seen this before? I feel like between the neighbor horse's lights, being stalled over the winter and starting to shed, then put back out in colder temps has messed her up.

She is due for another worming which might help. She's getting all the grass hay she can eat as well as an appropriate amount of Strategy Pro, Calf Manna (just a handful), biotin and Farnum weight gain stuff. Her weight is good.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Good luck - hope you had better luck than I did in a similar experience.

I bought a mare a few years back at the end of January at the PAS QH Sale. She was kept under lights for prep. Brought her home and tossed her out, blanketed. She grew a coat mid to end of Feburary and did not shed out completely until July!!!!!!!

Have since sold her, but in the past 2 years, she never had any problems shedding. I think the lights (then lack thereof) just screwed her up.

Thanks Champ - the way she looks right now, it could well be July before this hair is gone. She had a nice, tight, short little coat last October when I got her. It's just a little freaky how the light/temp situation has messed with her system. I hope it's not affecting her mental state, we don't need any help with that.

Fwiw, it did not, fortunately, affect her brain...but man, she was UGLY until she shed out!

I have been thinking about posting a similar question. My yearling appy was kept under lights until November last year to do the World Show. Then no lights, and he grew a pretty good winter coat late. He is still shedding it. I was almost wondering if he had some kind of thyroid problem! I won't be doing lights again.
    friend of bar.ka

Thanks ToTheNines - if I had realized this would happen to her I would have asked that she be moved away from the horse under lights. I kept thinking she really didn't have much of a winter coat, but of course never meant to bring her home during winter either, where she would just have a loafing shed.

She is starting to look better, but it makes you wonder what sort of complicated physiological process has to go on to make hair spring back out like a Chia pet.