The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So I've Started Giving My Husband Lessons...

And I just want to brag a little bit Sorry if it's long.

DH had his sister's hand-me-down horse as a kid that he rode bareback in the pasture. She died when he was 12.

After we got married, he wanted another horse and we were given a chance to get an older gelding who needed to retire from a lesson program. He's been like that 12 year old who got a new horse. Other than general safety tips, I've tried not to teach and preach too much and just let them enjoy each other.

Last week he asked me if I knew any dressage. (I suspect this is largely due to his reading my new copy of Alois Podhajsky's book- that I have not been able to get my hands on yet!) He has discovered how much more there is to know. Anyway, I say, "Yes. At least what any functional rider should know."

"Would you start training me?"

He has had 3 lessons so far. Mostly at the walk, learning to keep his horse straight, to bend, to move off the leg, and to post the trot. He is an attentive student who tries hard and asks good questions.

His horse is an absolute saint who is worth his weight in gold! He is a perfect schoolie who pays as much attention to me as to his rider. He is a true schoolmaster who will only give you what you want when you ask correctly. He is the perfect teacher for DH, I'm just the narration.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Congrats to you for being patient enough to teach him. I lack the patience to teach anyone I am related to
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Smart husband.
    Good for you to be a good, patient teacher for him.

You and DH are in the wonderfully rare minority. Have a blast!!!!

Mr. ChocoMare asked me to teach him. It lasted one lesson. I then said "I love you but for the sake of our marriage, if you truly WANT to learn, I'll hire a trainer to come to the barn and teach you."

Alas, he just couldn't seperate ChocoMare His Wife from ChocoMare The Firm Riding Instructor in The Ring
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Alas, he just couldn't seperate ChocoMare His Wife from ChocoMare The Firm Riding Instructor in The Ring
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Oh you are a brave soul! Or have the patience of a saint... or a great hubby. There is no way on earth I would give lessons to my DH.. no way, beside he claims he 'knows' how to ride..watched enough cowboy flicks, and wants to teach 'his' horse to rear...and the play with the foals (until one of the went up on him -he actually admitted I was right). Yesterday he said he wanted to keep one of the stud colts out of my 16.3 mare just for him, because she is black and beautiful, just for him not to ride but to 'play' with and teach tricks... no way. no no no no...if DH wants lessons he has to go far away , I dont even want to watch.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Yes, I am blessed with a wonderful husband! And he was warned in advance that there may be a need for him to seek other instruction.

For a while, he was intensely against anything 'technical' in riding because his brother and SIL are so into showing that he didn't see where they enjoyed the horses anymore. So I left him alone to enjoy his horse until he realized there were things that he couldn't do...like scooch the horse over to get your water off the truck bed.

So far, so good. I think the horse is pleased, too that his rider is now a bit more effective
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

I taught DH only very occasionally before we were married. After, I refused completely, as I didn't think a new marriage needed that kind of stress. That said, when I needed "eyes on me" when schooling my jumper, DH did an admirable job. He's still my favorite "clinician" for my over-fences work.

Sometimes, it can work.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Mine is allergic to horses, which saves us both the potential divorce.

Once we tried to paddle a kayak for 2 on a group kayaking trip......enough said......

How awesome! I hope you guys have fun together.

My fiance asked to go trail riding with me, now that my Thoroughbred is home. My best friend gave me one of her lesson pony mares, as she has arthritis & can't hold up for hard lessons anymore. Candy is a saint on trails, and so far my fiance's ridden a few times. He's actually pretty good, but his hands need work, lol. Candy takes it all in stride, and my fiance is patient and actually tries my suggestions. I'm really looking forward to doing some trail rides together this summer.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by OTTB FTW View Post
    Once we tried to paddle a kayak for 2 on a group kayaking trip......enough said......
    Ha! Ours was a canoe but same diff

We tried 1 lesson - I think I've blocked the painful memory as I don't even know how it deteriorated...all I know is that I came away vowing I would NEVER try to teach him to ride again

I did teach him how to pick feet the other day as being 6 months preggers, that particular chore is getting increasingly difficult and THAT was painful enough...it's a hoof PICK, not a hoof SCRAPE
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

BTDT got the grey hair and kept the DH though there were so many days I wanted to set him out on the curb....

I am glad he has a saint of a horse to help teach him. When you shop for the next horse is when it gets hella tricky. Saint horse made it all look and feel so easy, he won't get it that they aren't all that way and won't learn any way but the hard way.

I would do that part all over, had I known better.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    BTDT got the grey hair and kept the DH though there were so many days I wanted to set him out on the curb....

I am glad he has a saint of a horse to help teach him. When you shop for the next horse is when it gets hella tricky. Saint horse made it all look and feel so easy, he won't get it that they aren't all that way and won't learn any way but the hard way.

I would do that part all over, had I known better.
    So noted. Thank you

Finally got up the courage to open this thread. Just the thought was giving me the willies. AND thoughts of just how fast such a thing could destroy a perfectly good, happy, long marriage.

Boy am I surprised. And I don't mean, "oh Wow!" surprised, I mean more like, "who turned off the gravity!" surprised that it is working out. Good for you two.

BUT - I might kindly and shyly mention that you might not want to push it - in a playing with the rattlesnake too much is not a good thing - sort of way.

Anywoo, I hope this doesn't give me nightmares. Willies, I tell you WILLIES!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

and please don't take me too seriously in terms of the doldrums...but it's been a very long time coming, him 'getting it'...we actually traded horses- I gave him my then 3 YO sweet, kind filly whom I started then sent to a trail trainer for 60 days and took his 5 YO gelding...it was that or run for the hills...
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)