The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

tdshannon Guest

Default I need help caring for a horse with PSSM

I need help caring for a horse with PSSM
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 28, 2011 at 09:41 AM.

Welcome to the site! The Help forum you originally posted your thread in is for technical questions about the site. We moved your thread here to Horse Care, and changed your thread title to better reflect the topic you'd like help with.

If you have any questions about how the site works, please feel free to ask. You can contact me directly by clicking on my "Moderator 1" username by this post, then "send a private message."

Hope you get the input you need from other members of the community.

Thanks and welcome!
    Mod 1

What kind of help do you need? Has the horse been diagnosed, and what are you hoping to do with it in the future?

Your best bet is to read up on the subject online, especially Dr Beth Valentine's online "virtual vet" community. Here are several great articles about what it is, how to test for it, and how to "treat" it. She helped me with a horse with PSSM and I still feed the high-fat low-sugar diet to this day to non-PSSM horses after all the research I read.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

tdshannon Guest

Post D

My mare has been diagnosed with PSSM I have read every thing that has been written by every Vet. I have changed feed worked my way back to riding as suggested. I wanted to know if she will ever be normal again. I (am trying to) ride Dressage, she had a soft back before this syndrome occured. I don't know if I should lunge her a long time before I ride or short lunge then ride. Is stress a problem, such as a trailer ride? Is there anything I can give her to aid in her returning to normal? Thanks for any pearls of wisdom.

Can somebody please tell me what PSSM stands for.

Polysaccharide storage myopathy.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

more details will help
    How was she diagnosed?
    Breed?
    Symptoms before diagnosis?
    Current symptoms still dealing with?
    Current treatment plan?
    duration of treatment plan?

If it's any consolation my TB has PSSM and once we found the magic percentages he became a better horse than he ever was before. We compete in dressage and are successful
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    If it's any consolation my TB has PSSM and once we found the magic percentages he became a better horse than he ever was before. We compete in dressage and are successful
    This is where it gets frustrating for owners. What might work for PSJ's horse may not work for mine and vice versa. It's a lot of trial and error. Also when researching you will find that PSSM, EPSM, and RER are pretty much the same disease but refer to the specific breed of horse.

Vitamin E si very helpful as well as a magnesium supplement such as Quiessence. Check Selenium levels too.

Besides a sore, tight back what other symptoms is your mare experiencing?