The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Canter Cutie, confo critique and a little enabling?

So I've had my eye on this canter cutie, Cassidy Blue in PA for a little while. I sold my mare about a month ago and was going to try and wait a while before picking up my next project, but I think we can all guess how that's going. And then they went and dropped their price last night on him, really making it tempting...

Anyone want to take a peek, give me a conformation critique and tell me it's a very bad idea?

http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ainer-listings
    ILOVERMONT

To be honest, I'd pass. He's very downhill and something about him just strikes me as being off.

He's cute enough, but I agree with Amastrike.

I see "down hill" and a short neck in the first pair of photos. He looks uphill in the trotting shot, but I think the camera was held at an angle. His neck still isn't long enough there.

His conformation and 15.3h size might make it hard from him to get down the lines in the hunter ring.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Honestly, I like him. He may be built downhill, but look at how he's moving and see if you can see him trotted out on flat ground. Yes, he's going up a hill in the picture - but he has engaged his core and lifted his back. In hand. Track fit. Few horses do that, and to me it's a very positive sign which negates downhill build if that's what he does on flat ground, too.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

In my cubicle reading the forum instead of working!

Default I saw this guy too!

OK I will enable you---go see him in person! I personally like the shorter-necked TBs that are built more like bricks. If I were in the market for another one I would go at least give this guy a look. It appears from his trot pic that he has lovely extension. If he's a pretty mover and has good temperament then it could work out very nicely.
    There are a ton of 15.3 horses on the hunter circuit that have the step to get down the lines, so go for it. My little Oldenburg mare is pushing 15.2 and she eats up the lines

I'd at least go take a look. He doesn't look like much in those confo shots, but he's not a bad mover. I also like the fact that he's not SUPER long like most TB's.. I can't stand the look of that. :P
    I'd check out those back legs, though.. they look a bit big. And I'd watch him canter to see how big his stride is, first. My 15.2hh Hano cross has a stride just as big, if not bigger, than my 17hh Oldenburg, so he gets down the lines no problem. However, if this guy doesn't have too big of a stride, he'll be rushing down the lines - not pretty in the hunter ring.

Give it a try!

I like him. He's only 4, so being a little downhill wouldn't bother me as TB's seem to grow until 6/7 yrs old. Plus, most 15.3 h horses can make the strides easily. The ones that can't seem to be posty behind, and straight shouldered, giving them short, choppy strides. Wasn't Strapless 15.3? She sure struggled, didn't she?

I'd go take a look.

I bought another horse from George and he takes very good care of his horses.. its worth going to see.

He's a touch butt-high, but I really like to hear that he has spent lots of time in turnout with other horses, and that hauling to the track for a race is no big deal. That makes it sound like he doesn't have any 'deep issues' that would get in the way of re-selling him as a show horse.
    And I like the two socks behind, he would be stunning in hunter-shape with a shiny coat.

Oh, I would not bet on him growing out of the butt high feature at age 4, it matches that almost QH type build that usually matures pretty early.

Heck if he is quiet and sound with that pretty color, white trim and nice mid size chunky build? SO WHAT if he is not going to get down the Hunter lines at 3'?????? It's a 2k horse (obo I imagine). For that price you can live with a little downhill. I can think of a whole lot of things far worse when looking at lower end horses.

I'd go look-bet he'd be easy to keep in good weight, regular air fern there. Looks like somebody has taken good care of him too.

Of course at least a basic PPE please.

Nice type to work with and a type that usually can find that work...even if it's not going to be in the AA rated Hunters.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

it looks like in the trotting picture that he is trotting uphill

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Heck if he is quiet and sound with that pretty color, white trim and nice mid size chunky build? SO WHAT if he is not going to get down the Hunter lines at 3'?????? It's a 2k horse (obo I imagine). For that price you can live with a little downhill. I can think of a whole lot of things far worse when looking at lower end horses.

I'd go look-bet he'd be easy to keep in good weight, regular air fern there. Looks like somebody has taken good care of him too.

Nice type to work with and a type that usually can find that work...even if it's not going to be in the AA rated Hunters.
    Agree with this
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

First I think its important to remember that when you are considering left to right balance it is not the the butt or croup/withers that dictates uphill/downhill balance but the hip/neck that indicates a horses balance, and this horse close enough to make it a non-issue.

The way he elevates when trotting would make me go take a look at least.

Go look, he's cute and it sounds like he's good minded ... I bought my OTTB mare as a four year old. She was advertised at 16.0. When I got her home she measured 1/2 inch taller than that, and by the end of summer she was a solid 16.2.