The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Awesome cutting horse!

I'm not a huge fan of Quarter Horses, but I sure wouldn't mind having this in my barn! Watch him just about get down on his knees after the black calf.

I'd love to ride a cutter some day, but I think I'd end up eating dirt!

yeah buddy. I have been drooling over him for 2 days
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Ahhh, my all time fave QH. Love Duel Rey! I've gushed about him before. That horse is as cow-y as they get.

I wouldn't mind having him in my barn either. But that kinda cash...horses that win money instead of 10 cent ribbons go for a tad over my budget, LOL!

Gotta love a horse that loves it's job! Like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQU8YVHc3iw

He's a good one! Not mean to the cows and you can almost hear him yelling "Yeehaw!!!" and "Weeeeeee!"

Shaky, you wouldn't end up eating dirt! That's why there's a horn on western saddles. (apparently it has more purpose than jabbing you in the stomach over jumps, LOL) You might slide around a little bit though. If I ever get the chance to ride a good cutting horse...it'll be with suede chaps, full seats and a suede seat saddle. And maybe some stick-um. Helmet and a seatbelt.

And a HUGE grin!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Cutting saddles run a bit large for your behind and are slick, so you won't stick on one spot and be unable to stay with the horse.

You WANT to be slipping a hair here and there, have some give to you, although of course not be all over the horse like a sack of potatoes either.
    The jerking around if you were stuck in one place too much would eventually get you so far behind the motion that you would have to pull the horse up or be left like the coyote chasing the roadrunner, in mid air, without anything under you.

The better cutting horses seem to kind of try to stay under you all along, although you have to help them by trying to stay with them.

Oh good point Bluey, I didn't think of that.

I guess if we can stay on a speed round in jumpers in an English saddle then we can learn to not look like this when cutting:
    http://girlsgirlsgirlswa.webs.com/IMG_4389.jpg
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Love a good cutting horse.

Cool video, MistyBlue!

Absolutely nothing else like riding a cutter! I used to think I'd sell my soul to go cut!

It's easier to stay on if you keep your eyes focused on the head of the cow. Most cutting saddles are usually roughed out on the fenders to help you stick as well. But you do want to "float" in the saddle to allow you to keep up with the horse and cow, but you lock the elbow of your horn hand and pudh off with it.

If you ever get the chance, go try it. Many times you can work a flag or mechanical cow first to get the idea before you try a live cow.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I guess if we can stay on a speed round in jumpers in an English saddle then we can learn to not look like this when cutting:
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Thumbs up

Count me in with the admiring crowd on that horse!

LOVE me the good, cow-y Western stock horses...QHs Paints, etc...dang, something so cool about watching them ENJOY their work!

Got me a little Paint mare cowpony...never had one until last year...I'm a total convert!

Wow, MistyBlue, that was great!

I had a gorgeous yearling QH colt who, out of a Colonel Freckles son, would gaily cut emus in the pasture...on his own. He loved to fool around and work emus from one side of the pasture to the other or cut them into a corner of the pasture. Had a yearning to work but was also calm and gentle.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I love watching Cuttters!

Riding one would certainly teach you how to stay on their back and OFF their mouth!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Really cool MistyBlue. Never really watched it before and was impressed. Thx.

Is that not a trick rider doing the side cossack hang?

You owe me a new lap top now, I just spewed jello all over it! I wasn't expecting that.

Well, it's a trick rider doing something...I don't know what the move is called.

I do know that if *I* were doing that move it'd be called,
    "Exit Steed Left, Thud and Ouch."

Although I'd imagine knowing how to do that move would be impressive when cutting. Just ride on by, fling off sideways and grab the cow! (not sure what would come next...probably the thud/ouch part)

My Petey has cow sense. The insulting part is he seems to think I look like a cow at times. (little bass turd)

When I bring the lunch hay out into the paddock he herds or cuts Sonny away from me. And sometimes he forgets his manners and tries to cut me off by body blocking or even that side-side weave thing. Thankfully his head does remind his stomach he'd better freaking behave when I just point a finger at him.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I had a reining horse that won two small reining futurities and had tons of cow in him.
    He was a pest out to pasture, would cut one of the horses out of the herd and play keep him away all day long.

I had to let him go, he just would not play nice and graze peacefully with the others.
    He had to have someone to play his little game with, most times our then almost 30 year old, not a good situation.
    He would let him graze and water fine, just not get close to the others, unless he was fixated on another, that he also drove around.

Some horses have so much cow they become obsessive about cutting.

I have never ridden a cutter but knew someone with an old ancient cutter named Foxy, those horses know and love their jobs.

Once we had a roper come over and use the covered ring for practice and she asked if he minded if Foxy rounded up the calves back to the trailer after they threw some loops just for fun.
    She tacked Foxy up and he gimped in the ring (he was over 30) and the moment he saw the calves he was in the zone, total focus and was just dying to get down the moment she put her hand on his neck. She had to stop him a few times as he was trying to over do it. He was in total heaven and looked so darn pleased to have a live calf as he thought "bagging" was below him.
    It was totally priceless.

If you receive RFD-TV, check out "Rode To The Winner's circle". Lots of good cutting stock.

PROGRAM SCHEDULE:
    http://schedule.rfdtv.com/?tz=0
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams