The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Default Animo breeches from Dover

Has anyone ordered the Animo No Limit breeches from Dover? How did they fit with the SML sizing? Does it bother you that they don't have knee patches for the hunters?

I am having trouble with the Tailored Sportsman Professional fit, actually any of the Tailored Sportsmans that are machine washable.

What about the Ariat Olympia? They look like the trophy hunter in the professional fabric but they're cheaper and last longer. They come in front and side zip. http://www.smartpakequine.com/ariat-...x?cm_vc=Search

I don't care for that seam that runs across the middle of the thigh and then outside the knee, its unnattractive IMO, but I am very traditional and conservative. The closeup of the fabric looks nice though, but if you zoom in on the thumbnail of the front zipper view you can see how the fabric is pulling at the bottom of the zip. I would hope for $350 the workmanship would be better, but maybe its just that one pair.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I don't care for that seam that runs across the middle of the thigh and then outside the knee, its unnattractive IMO, but I am very traditional and conservative. The closeup of the fabric looks nice though, but if you zoom in on the thumbnail of the front zipper view you can see how the fabric is pulling at the bottom of the zip. I would hope for $350 the workmanship would be better, but maybe its just that one pair.
    Agreed. I would not wear the Animo's in a show.

I have two pairs of Animo breeches, though not the 'no limit' style (mine are from a few years ago). So I can't comment on the stitching on the no-limits.

Anyhow, I love them.
    They are the most comfortable breeches I have ever ridden in and they do not have knee patches. I wear them for schooling since they are navy and blue but since I got them I never ever ride in my tailored's....Every time I try they feel so thin and uncomfortable.
    I like the fit( slightly tapered waist that is more contoured than the tailored's), the fabric (very sturdy and washes well) and the euro seat is very comfortable but the best part? They have a second layer of fabric on the inside where the full seat would be on the outside of traditional pants. It just makes them super comfortable in the tack.

I have thought about ordering a pair of no-limits (not from Dover) but haven't got around to it yet.

I can't comment on the Animo breeches, but if you are looking for an alternative to TS that is washable and could be worn in a show, try the RJ Classics breeches like these:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/rj-cla...ech-8311p.aspx

I bought a pair and really like them- they've become my new favorites. They wash really well and so far so good on durability. The sizing does run a little big IMO, so keep that in mind.

I don't know if they have a version with euro seat, however, if that is one of your criteria.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

I really don't care about the Euroseat as much as finding some that fit well. I just placed an overnight Dover order for some low-rise Royal Hunters, Professional Trophy Hunters in a size smaller than last time, and the last pair of Animos they had in my size. I know the Animos are a little fashion forward, but I don't think it will be noticeable when I'm riding my baby green horse that's never been anywhere before. Alas, there will probably be many things to laugh about before they get to the breeches .

I attribute part of the issue with the stretchier breeches to having 2 kids. I am skinner standing than sitting, and the breeches get stretched out and I end up with extra fabric everywhere, and a very saggy crotch and butt. I post, but the breeches stay in the saddle.

FYI, my Animo's never get saggy in the butt/crotch area because they are tailored more like pants and less like breeches or something...I have a smaller waist and not so small legs and hips.
    My side zip tailored's are a little saggy in the crotch.
    I think breeches are one of those things that fit everyone different, it's not about brand, it's just about which cut fits you.
    I do like the bottom of the Animo's, how there is no velcro, but they are long. Ariat does that too.
    Good luck!!

Thanks! I am hoping at least one of the options works well.

I should send you all of the breeches I've 'outgrown" you skinny b*^# (little thing) . Have you seen the new material that water runs off of? Perhaps they're the one's you're asking about. They look fantastic but the price has an adverse reaction to my check book .

I did see those waterproof ones at a European store... very cool! I couldn't figure out the color combos and such though... and I need them tomorrow. My filly and I are starting our summer tour. I have never actually jumped a course yet, but I'm sneaking her to a local show to see what she does and going straight from there to a Greg Best clinic up North. I hope her show stall is by Justice's so that he can tell her to just sleep the entire time like he does.

Ha Ha ! She'll be just fine.. I checked out the brand of uber cool breeches and they're called "santios" . They look amazing and are supposed to be really comfortable with some new technology in fabric.
    More important relax and enjoy your new venture with the girl. Sometimes the journey is more important than the quest.
    My favorite moments include some colossal failures and the perspective they bring.
    Last edited by Wanderluster; May. 26, 2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: UGH

I got the Animo Breeches and they are pretty swank. The reason they have the odd seam is because of the extra layer of fabric that Winter noted - which is fantastic. I did get lots of comments on the breeches out of the tack, but only positive ones. The trim on these is so sassy. Best of all, no saggy crotch!

ETA: I just pulled these out of my washer. I was nervous because they got really dirty today, but I washed them on cold with Oxiclean and they look brand new.
    Last edited by Justice; May. 28, 2011 at 08:28 PM.

Sadly I cannot comment on Animo breeches, as I can't even get my arm into them! Personally I still like Ariats, mine have washed very very well, not pilled or shrunk and not faded in colour!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by 63signals View Post
    I ordered mine from www.justriding.com came in 8 days... well pleased and I got a free Clemy Animo Ear Net!!! :-)
    Why are all 8 of your posts here ads for the same website? And why drag up a post over a year old just to promote that website?

Quote Originally Posted by M. Owen View Post
    I can't comment on the Animo breeches, but if you are looking for an alternative to TS that is washable and could be worn in a show, try the RJ Classics breeches like these:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/rj-cla...ech-8311p.aspx

I bought a pair and really like them- they've become my new favorites. They wash really well and so far so good on durability. The sizing does run a little big IMO, so keep that in mind.

I don't know if they have a version with euro seat, however, if that is one of your criteria.
    I bought a pair of the RJ classics and they fell apart. They are very cheaply made. At least the ones I bought.

I have three pairs of the Animos and I wear them over any other pair of breeches I have. I like the stitching around the knee because it goes "around" the knee and not over it. It doesn't hurt my knees. They do have knee "grips" vs patches and they work very well.

They are made well and don't stretch or sag like the other poster said. I love them and plan to show in them at Thermal this weekend.

I really don't care what's in fashion I wear what I think looks good. I do get complements all the time on them.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaret SK View Post
    Why are all 8 of your posts here ads for the same website? And why drag up a post over a year old just to promote that website?
    Ooppsss I am usually the date police and I missed that.. Oh well. Sorry
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Tredstep is coming out with Breeches that rivel Animo at less cost. I saw the samples I would have bought a pair right then if possible. # styles at different prices. Very comfy. I think that they will be out in March.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Ooppsss I am usually the date police and I missed that.. Oh well. Sorry
    Haha no big deal! It was more the poster who seems to only promote their 1 website repeatedly...