The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Polyglycan questions

I did a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I am thinking of giving polyglycan a try on my oldster. Can you tell me the dose, route and frequency? I need to figure out how much to order. I assume there is a loading dose like with adequan and pentosan, is that correct? Thanks!

I use ChondroProtec. Loading dose is 3 mls. for 5 days, then 3 mls. Some people give it IM once a week, others give it every 10 days, or 14 days ..... up to monthly.

A lot of people just give the whole 10mL in one dose before a show, but I get great results splitting the dose. I do 2mL, 2mL, 1mL separated by one to two day. I don't know anyone else that does this, but I get great results. If I do that twice a month (one vial), my horse feels consistently great. I have also done 2 5 mL doses a week apart with good results as well. I think 10 mL at once is a waste of money

My vet has me give 5ml once a month/ IV. I will top that off with Legend, as needed, before a long show that has little opportunity for turnout.
    friend of bar*ka

Ok I am still confused. If I am not showing and just want to make my old guy more comfortable do I use the whole 10cc? Only once or a series?

I'm just starting Polyglycan on my guy. My vet recommends 5mL 1x/wk, for 3 weeks to load, and then 5mL 1x/month and wean down to every other month if possible. It can be given IV or IM...she gave him his first shot IV, and I gave one IM yesterday.

Hoping for good results!

Just out of curiosity, what are you paying for a 10mL vial if you don't mind me asking?

4 week loading dose: 5 ml once a week for 4 weeks

After that, 5 ml per month for maintenance.

I've always given it IV.

My vet price matches what we've found online, so I get a 10 ml vial for $80.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!

I give it IM. 5 mL per dose. I typically do once a month to every two weeks, depending on what we're doing.

My vet will normally do a loading dose of one shot a week for 4 weeks or so, but my mare was already on Adequan and Legend, so I didn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cllane1 View Post
    4 week loading dose: 5 ml once a week for 4 weeks

After that, 5 ml per month for maintenance.

I've always given it IV.

My vet price matches what we've found online, so I get a 10 ml vial for $80.
    Is that a 10 ml vial or a 100 ml vial? We're talking about what some refer to as injectable glucosamine, right? If that is it, I've paid $100 for 100 ml. If not, ignore the foggy woman behind the curtain.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

i only get short term benefit from polyglycan IV. a week or less, good for before a show but personally i wouldn't put it in the maintenance categry.

i've had better maintenance results from monthly pentosan or legend injections.

jmo...
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    Is that a 10 ml vial or a 100 ml vial? We're talking about what some refer to as injectable glucosamine, right? If that is it, I've paid $100 for 100 ml. If not, ignore the foggy woman behind the curtain.
    Polyglycan is a bit different than injectable glucosamine in that it also contains chondroitin and HA.

"Composition contains highly viscous aqueous solution of defined fractions of purified Hyaluronic acid, Chondroitin sulfates C4 & C6 in a 10% solution of N-acetyl-D-glucosamine. Each 10 mL vial contains: Hyaluronic acid sodium salt 50mg, Sodium chondroitin sulfate 1000mg, N-acetyl-D-glucosamine 1000mg."

My vet charges $89 for one 10ml vial. If they had 100mls of Polyglycan for $100...I think EVERYONE would be using it!!!!

Thanks everyone. My guy seems like he does best if I switch around to different things rather than stick with just one thing all the time so I wanted to add this to the mix. He is sound but could use a little help to warm up quicker.
    It is $80 plus shipping for 10ml

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Thanks everyone. My guy seems like he does best if I switch around to different things rather than stick with just one thing all the time so I wanted to add this to the mix. He is sound but could use a little help to warm up quicker.
    It is $80 plus shipping for 10ml
    Where are you finding it for $80 for a 10mL vial?? I need to show this to my vet!

I just saw it at Farmvet for $85.99...2 bucks is 2 bucks

This is my regular vet so no hassles with asking for a script. That is worth more than $2 to me. Not to mention I always get everything I order the very next day.

Question Just started Polyglycan IV

I have a 18 year old draft tb cross who has started to have trouble with his turnout. He has substantial loss of cartilage in his hocks, he is naturally fusing in the lower tarsals; he has mild ring-bone in the front, substantial effusion in the coffin. I am just interested in keeping him pasture sound, although I wouldn't mind a ride around the pasture.

I injected his hocks last year for the first time, and I have kept him on Previcox during that time.

11 months after having his hock injected my vet recommended I start Polyglycan with the oral Previcox. I would not question my vet's opinion, but now that i have started down the road of injections I want to find out about how others in this message group are doing with products out there.

Should I re inject his hocks (is it detrimental to inject if they are fusing slowly, but naturally)? Should I ask about Adequan? Would Legend be better?

Ultimately the veterinarian would like to see me have the hocks fused. But at 18 years old, and with a heap of other issues, I just want to see him pasture sound without needing to go through the stress of fusing the hock(s).